National Overland Comms Plan

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
There are some great posts here on this information. Some great effort has already been done to discern the regional/local band plans. I found this thread that seemed to capture alot and demonstrate there are differences out there to be aware of. Some of that info has been put in this thread already.

Apologies that I didn't consolidate better, but it's just a reference to me right now where I'm trying to configure it to my systems.

post #6 in particular

http://www.4x4ham.com/showthread.php?3830-Offroad-VHF-2m-simplex-frequency-list

wheelerdh

K4WHE
I did an experiment last wheeling trip with analog vs. dstar digital. I have to say, my preference is dstar if the group has it. Much clearer over road noise with the benefit of GPS if you get separated. I'm sure you could get the same thing with DMR or P25, not as much analog interference. For me it worked nicely.

lysol

Explorer
These guys put together a pretty good SHTF radio list.

Really Good Information here - http://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/shtf-survivalist-radio-frequency-list/

shtf_frequency_list_2013e_print.png

shtf_survivalist_prepper_frequencies_hf_vhf_uhf_2013g_print.png

lysol

Explorer
^^haha

I think a prepper is someone who simply makes an effort to prepare for anything and a survivalist takes it further. Though... a non-prepper might call me a prepper whereas a prepper/survivalist would look at me and just say pffffttt!!! lol.

I'm actually trying to find the 100 channel list that they made on that website. it's insane. I don't recall 146.460 being on it though. surprising. maybe it was though. I have the list printed out, so I could always type it up on Excel. lol.

EDIT - FOUND IT!!!!

http://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/201...iness-weather-marine-ham-channel-frequencies/

frs_gmrs_pmr_murs_bus_marine_wx_ham_2013f_print.png

Last edited:

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Tin foil in the hat on prepper is shiny side out, survivalist shiny side in?

Best answer!! I suspect there's a lot of overlap with the alien abduction people, and possibly some folks looking for bigfoot.

The giant list of frequencies seems kinda silly to me. Pretty sure there are more than the coalition forces used in the first gulf war. Maybe it's just to give people something to plug in to their 23,000 frequency scanners. If that's the case, they're missing a lot. But if it's to talk to other people, the more you have the more confusing it is.

Or maybe the first list was developed by someone that has infiltrated one of the tin-foil-hat (TFH) groups, so make them easier to find if they ever start running around doing wacky things, or to help tag them during training? Now that would be pretty funny... :)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The long list is just all the various service channelizations, nothing wrong with that. The other I gather is pared down to whatever service you have and other than the freebanding ones is also workable. If you're a ham you can use their suggested frequencies to practice whenever you like and if the need ever does actually arise you know it'll work. That is an issue I try to raise when people talk about opening their radios out of band. How do you /know/ it will work?

When the bottom has fallen out is the worst time to realize that your workmanship was poor and you can't actually talk to anyone. So it's better to get your ham ticket and check into nets and ragchew, then when you're in a situation you don't have to worry about it. Plus practicing your radio protocols, speech-for-clarity, the difference in an ad-hoc or directed net, etc. means you'll actually be useful as a radioman.

For the record I think everyone should be a 'prepper', it's just common sense to keep some extra stuff around just in case and have some skills beyond being an excellent at texting or knowing who won which TV game show. I think our world would be much better off if people used their free time to learn something new (sewing is my on-again, off-again time waster) or just read.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
while all of this is a good idea, like being prepared...*assuming everyone is going to help everyone

however my one gripe is listing frequencies as if they are all usable by the unknowing mass(es) of society, which arent (marine can only be used while abroad ships etc)

someone is just going to buy a radio to cover that certain band portion & be helpless, not knowing its propagation characteristics, what if the only other person on that freq is over the horizon; out of line of sight

yes a ham radio ticket is good for starters, & even that is worthless to some degree

*but on another token if it was a SHTF scenario would you be willing to give you location out to others that are possibly looking to scavenge what you have

this whole topic opens up so many more ideas that come to mind

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
That's part of my point. It's not a communications plan, it's just a random list of radio frequencies. Who is supposed to talk to whom and for what purpose? There *are* a handful of frequencies that could be handy to know, under some circumstances. There's one VHF air frequency used for emergencies, that I don't think is listed among the one hundred. There's one VHF marine calling/emergency frequency. There's one generally accepted 2m FM calling frequency, and one 440. Having a list of local 2m repeaters and their tones could be handy, too.

If you're really in trouble, not just out of coffee or unable to find your hotel, and the rest of the world is all fine, then it would be good to be able to reach out to someone. It's been my experience that people will help out a stranger in need, when they and their family are secure. I'm new to this forum, but that seems like it fits in, as a way to help out or be helped, when off in the woods or mountains or wherever.

Also along those lines, if all is good and you want to make new friends on the air, then the ham repeaters, and 2m/440 simplex, and a channel for FRS/GMRS, MURS, CB would be great, too. Have some fun with the radio, meet some new people, all good stuff. I've met great people over the air.

But if there is a local or regional disaster, just who are you going to talk with? That seems like a lousy time to reach out and meet new people. Would you share information? Perhaps. Share supplies? Hmmm... That could work out. But who has more, who has the greater need, and who sets the rules of exchange? This sounds like a bad plan, and kinda sounds off-topic to this forum, too...although I really don't know, I am new and want to remain respectful of the forum.

I'll stand by my support of the tin-foil comment. Having a plan "B" is always a good idea, but when your backup plan is a primary focus, then your priorities, in my not always humble opinion, are backwards pretty much by definition. Not suggesting that anyone here does that, but to identify yourself as a "prepper" to me says that you're identifying more for having a good plan "B" than a good plan "A". Myself, I'd rather have a good plan, and do a quick risk analysis on the rest.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That's part of my point. It's not a communications plan, it's just a random list of radio frequencies. Who is supposed to talk to whom and for what purpose?
Yes, exactly. This is the reason I suggested ham radio, for ARES, RACES, Skywarn and the others like RAYNET, MARS, etc. They are preparation for an ad hoc communication system that is self configuring and healing based on a set of understood and practiced guidelines. Each station doesn't need to be the same and the specifics of equipment are unique, but the operator knows what he has and uses it for his hobby so understands propagation and range.

IOW, a ham that works HF will know what the capability of his station is because he logs contacts casually then when ARES is activated he will know which nets he would be effective on. While another (most of ARES) are VHF stations and that implies another set of local nets, probably using repeaters if possible since hams try to make them solar and battery backed up just for emergencies.

The SHTF scenario, well, too many zombie movies I think. The whole world will never break down into complete chaos and if it does, who cares if your FT-8800 works or not. The reality is transient economic problems, maybe political riots or actions, natural disasters, etc. The worst would be long term war, like what the UK experienced during WWII.

It really wouldn't take much preparation, though. There are lot of trained radio operators, basically any emergency responder, military, ham should be able to get a net going. That assumes all the various groups can set aside their egos and look out for each other. It seems the various factions all want their piece of the spectrum pie and interop is a code word for making sure the rabble can't listen to DHS & police traffic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94