SRW's for FUSO

westyss

Explorer
Are you asking where you should mount it or how?? Is this your actual rig?

If it was me I would mount the spares up higher on the back of the camper to get it off the slanted back end and also move the bumper closer to the body to take advantage of the slanted body and increase the departure angle, from most bad roads that I have traveled on the departure angle is the most critical and if that is your rig in the last two pics then it is being limited by the bumper and spares. (Why go to the expense and trouble to slant the back and not apply what it is for?)

Not sure if you have ever seen the write up of John Rhetts rear rack but it is a good mounting system, have a look: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77493-Fuso-FM260-Rear-Rack-tires-and-m-c

If this is not your truck and I am blabbing on please disregard:ylsmoke:

GR8ADV

Explorer
Are you asking where you should mount it or how?? Is this your actual rig?

If it was me I would mount the spares up higher on the back of the camper to get it off the slanted back end and also move the bumper closer to the body to take advantage of the slanted body and increase the departure angle, from most bad roads that I have traveled on the departure angle is the most critical and if that is your rig in the last two pics then it is being limited by the bumper and spares. (Why go to the expense and trouble to slant the back and not apply what it is for?)

Not sure if you have ever seen the write up of John Rhetts rear rack but it is a good mounting system, have a look: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77493-Fuso-FM260-Rear-Rack-tires-and-m-c

If this is not your truck and I am blabbing on please disregard:ylsmoke:

I hear you. hmmm. I have that storage compartment to get into back there. So now it needs to be swinging. Or likely drop out of the way would be best hmmm... talk to me.

westyss

Explorer
I hear you. hmmm. I have that storage compartment to get into back there. So now it needs to be swinging. Or likely drop out of the way would be best hmmm... talk to me.

So this is your truck right? Looks nice, any more pics or did I miss it?

Ya that access door is in a bad spot, options are to mount a swing away spare tire carrier in front of that door or mount the spare high enough but then it is in the rear window view and the extra weight up high is not desirable, if all you are going to carry is the spare a simple swing away might be the best option, just needs a solid mounting spot. How is the bumper mounted? Can it be tucked in closer to the body?

With that baggage access door there it also eliminates ability to have a rear carrier like I linked to.

GR8ADV

Explorer
So this is your truck right? Looks nice, any more pics or did I miss it?

Ya that access door is in a bad spot, options are to mount a swing away spare tire carrier in front of that door or mount the spare high enough but then it is in the rear window view and the extra weight up high is not desirable, if all you are going to carry is the spare a simple swing away might be the best option, just needs a solid mounting spot. How is the bumper mounted? Can it be tucked in closer to the body?

With that baggage access door there it also eliminates ability to have a rear carrier like I linked to.

simple swing away is likely not going to work for a 19.5. Those pigs have to weigh 175#. Does anybody make something like that with enough heft?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
simple swing away is likely not going to work for a 19.5. Those pigs have to weigh 175#. Does anybody make something like that with enough heft?

Yeah I don't even think about trying to lift mine off the ground - not when I can use a $80 winch to do it with ease. There's a thread on the tire carrier I built on the back of my Fuso here somewhere.

GR8ADV

Explorer
My Conclusion
As the original poster looking for information, I thought I would put a conclusion (as well as an edit to the first post)such that any others looking for information would not have to read through several pages of varying amounts of information and piece it together. These are my opinions based on this thread and my research. Yours can be different and I always reserve the right to be smarter at a later date:
Single Wheels are superior to duals for my application.
- The ability to track has value as well as having less tires ‘pushing' through the earth.
ATW 19.5's
- They provide greater ground clearance
- They improve the gearing for the highway
- The tires provide greater strength and longevity.
- Larger diameter means better rolling over things
- allow for more than my GVW rear axle loading
- 175#!, mounting/dismounting will require special thought to get it on and off your vehicle.
- The tires are not widely available and are a challenge to balance.
- Higher pressures mean harsher ride on the pave
- They do not air down as well as 16's and have no bead.
8x16” alloys provided by Earthcrusier
- Lighter and manageable in size and weight
- Provide the best floatation of options when airing down
- Tire size is much more readily available
- The best pavement ride quality
- Tires avail only provide 7700 gvw on rear axle. Less than rated
It is amazing that EC can make what is arguably the best vehicle in its class have a rear axle weight of only 7000# wet (according to EC). I am sure it is not by chance but as a result of careful and thoughtful engineering and experience. My preference is to use them.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
Yeah I don't even think about trying to lift mine off the ground - not when I can use a $80 winch to do it with ease. There's a thread on the tire carrier I built on the back of my Fuso here somewhere.
Yes I can imagine. With the storage I have off the back maybe I should consider a front mount. Not too many people seem to do this.

gait

Explorer
+1

Unfortunately I indulge in "critical thinking". Does anyone run the Toyo M608 on a Canter at 120psi? I guess that as usual I was searching for more than marketing.

Sadly, the effect on me of odd looking claims about competing product, particularly where I have experience, leads me to question claims about the product being sold.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
My Conclusion
A different conclusion or why I went with 8x16s
Greater tire selection up to 41” diameter and 14-15” wide (I have 37”x13”)
Greater selection in general and a much better selection of ‘off-road' tread patterns
Higher side profile and less belts give a much softer ride, both on and off road (a poor man's suspension mod)
Higher side profile and less belts give a much wider/longer contact area when aired down
Much lower tire costs (up to 50% less)
Generally a much lighter wheel/tire combination for both ‘sprung' & ‘un-sprung' weight and ‘spare wheel' weight
Much greater available both CONUS and other countries
Downside is unless you go with hard to find/high cost Michelin X-series tires, the tires limit my truck's GVW.
Reduced GVW works for me as it gives me in effect more ‘power' (better hp/tq to weight ratio), better braking, better handling, better off-road performance, better fuel mileage, easier to ‘un-stick', and in some countries easier/cheaper licensing (both vehicle & driver)

GR8ADV

Explorer
A different conclusion or why I went with 8x16s
Greater tire selection up to 41” diameter and 14-15” wide (I have 37”x13”)
Greater selection in general and a much better selection of ‘off-road' tread patterns
Higher side profile and less belts give a much softer ride, both on and off road (a poor man's suspension mod)
Higher side profile and less belts give a much wider/longer contact area when aired down
Much lower tire costs (up to 50% less)
Generally a much lighter wheel/tire combination for both ‘sprung' & ‘un-sprung' weight and ‘spare wheel' weight
Much greater available both CONUS and other countries
Downside is unless you go with hard to find/high cost Michelin X-series tires, the tires limit my truck's GVW.
Reduced GVW works for me as it gives me in effect more ‘power' (better hp/tq to weight ratio), better braking, better handling, better off-road performance, better fuel mileage, easier to ‘un-stick', and in some countries easier/cheaper licensing (both vehicle & driver)
Looks like we came to the same conclusion. If you are ok with derating go 8x16. If not it is the 19.5's. What x series are you referring to and what is the load capacity? Thanks.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Looks like we came to the same conclusion. If you are ok with derating go 8x16. If not it is the 19.5's. What x series are you referring to and what is the load capacity? Thanks.

tire---------series---load range------diameter-----width----rim size click here for more info
9.00R16-----XL--------D------------------36.1---------9.8--------6.50
11.00R16----XL--------E------------------38.7---------10.9-------6.50
325/85R16--XML------D(5070lbs)-------38.7---------12.9-------9.00
9.00R16-----XZL-------D-----------------36.4----------9.9--------6.50
--
No first had experience, but in general the X-series are heavy, noisy, low mileage (25k-30k miles?), expensive, hard to find.
For a 'heavy duty' (aka full GVW) Fuso tire, the Toyos are a much better way to go IMO.
Also the X-series are speed limited to 62 mph (not a problem with the Fuso :sombrero: )
-
-

Better yet a pic of the tracks in the sand would be most excellent.
Not sand, but mud:HERE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94