SRW's for FUSO

GR8ADV

Explorer
What is the latest on SRW's for the fuso?

I am looking for wheels that do not reduce the GVW allowance. In addition what is required for installation. Axles? Spacers? Fender or front step mods? Tire and size issues. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Love these image.jpg

EDIT::
My Conclusion
As the original poster looking for information, I thought I would put a conclusion here as well as a regular post below such that any others looking for information would not have to read through several pages of varying amounts of information and piece it together. These are my opinions based on this thread and my research. Yours can be different and I always reserve the right to be smarter at a later date:
Single Wheels are superior to duals for my application.
- The ability to track has value as well as having less tires ‘pushing' through the earth.
ATW 19.5's
- They provide greater ground clearance
- They improve the gearing for the highway
- The tires provide greater strength and longevity.
- Larger diameter means better rolling over things
- allow for more than my GVW rear axle loading
- 175#!, mounting/dismounting will require special thought to get it on and off your vehicle.
- The tires are not widely available and are a challenge to balance.
- Higher pressures mean harsher ride on the pave
- They do not air down as well as 16's and have no bead.
8x16” alloys provided by Earthcrusier
- Lighter and manageable in size and weight
- Provide the best floatation of options when airing down
- Tire size is much more readily available
- The best pavement ride quality
- Tires avail only provide 7700 gvw on rear axle. Less than rated
It is amazing that EC can make what is arguably the best vehicle in its class have a rear axle weight of only 7000# wet (according to EC). I am sure it is not by chance but as a result of careful and thoughtful engineering and experience. My pref is to be able to use them.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You should be able to fit a 36" tyre without having to do any body/suspension/steering mods.
The ATW 19.5" rim with the Toyo M608 tyre does not reduce the GVM. If you search this forum you will find lots of information on this topic...

GR8ADV

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I have searched and I seem to come up with bits of the issues and a have yet to be able to find a complete discussion. Here is the info I am looking for when going with srw. 1) any issues in strength, load rating, and reliability with a change in geometry for the axles. 2). Same question for bearings etc. 3) wheel and tire strength. ( this seems to be covered in many threads). 4) best rim size recommendation and why. 5) tire size availability in central and South America for these rim choices.

Thx

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day
We have been fitting single wheels to FUSO for a very long time.
For what it is worth -
- 1- We like 16 or 17 inch rims - my preference is the 16 for FUSO in the US. Very good choice of tyres (sorry tires) we use TOYO Open country as our standard, that not a plug its just what we have found works best.
The vehicles drive so much better its not funny on the 16`s or 17`s. These tyre sizes are made for off road, can be gotten of a rim, can be plugged , patched and tubed and they dont weigh a tone. Not to mention there affordable and available every where, not always the exact type perhaps but at least they will get you out of trouble .
-2- FUSO offer single rear wheel as a factory option in some markets - they dont change the drive line as far as we can tell. They do derate the rear axle capacity match the tyre (oops tire) change.
-3- Last but no least we like ( alot) the alloy Outback wheels - (AND YES WE DO STOCK THEM IN THE USA) - so far they balance better than any we have used with no issues off road. Steel a great too but getting and keeping them in balance as the tyres (again) age is a pain.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
If you are really worried about world wide availability, the most common size, bar none, is 7.50x16. This is the old Land Rover four door size and is used on almost everything. The metric version is 235/85x16. Commonly available in up to 10 ply rating and usually mounted on a 6" rim. This is what all of the Japanese trucks seem to run.

You may also find 9.00x16, but I am less sure about that one. The next most common size, to the best of my knowledge, is the 9.00x20 truck tire, commonly found on Toyota/Hino, etc. five ton trucks.

All of these are tube types and can be fixed by any tire shop in the bush.

With the 7.50x16, you will need to watch your weight.

GR8ADV

Explorer
G`day
We have been fitting single wheels to FUSO for a very long time.
For what it is worth -
- 1- We like 16 or 17 inch rims - my preference is the 16 for FUSO in the US. Very good choice of tyres (sorry tires) we use TOYO Open country as our standard, that not a plug its just what we have found works best.
The vehicles drive so much better its not funny on the 16`s or 17`s. These tyre sizes are made for off road, can be gotten of a rim, can be plugged , patched and tubed and they dont weigh a tone. Not to mention there affordable and available every where, not always the exact type perhaps but at least they will get you out of trouble .
-2- FUSO offer single rear wheel as a factory option in some markets - they dont change the drive line as far as we can tell. They do derate the rear axle capacity match the tyre (oops tire) change.
-3- Last but no least we like ( alot) the alloy Outback wheels - (AND YES WE DO STOCK THEM IN THE USA) - so far they balance better than any we have used with no issues off road. Steel a great too but getting and keeping them in balance as the tyres (again) age is a pain.

And this is where the 'spin' of the conversations tends to go. Did they derate the GVW based on the wheel/tire, or due to any change in loading going to the SRW?
Next is that I believe your alloy wheel is only rated for the lower/derated axle capacity correct?

Thanks

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
And this is where the 'spin' of the conversations tends to go. Did they derate the GVW based on the wheel/tire, or due to any change in loading going to the SRW?
Next is that I believe your alloy wheel is only rated for the lower/derated axle capacity correct?

Thanks

As far as I know (and I've done a lot of research), the only road-legal SRW option that allows you to operate at - or over :) - GVWR is the ATW steel rim and Toyo M608Z combo.

I understand that argument that moving the load outward places a different (and less-centered) load on the wheel bearings, but I haven't seen it translate into any increased wear personally. I had an opportunity to worst-case test that (broken lug nuts on rear axle, heavily loaded). I had to replace the hub when I cut the studs off, and the wheel because the center bent. The bearings however were fine even under that abusive load.

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
I have never really got direct answer from FUSO. We have never had an issue with the rear end and no we don`t need a high GVM for our product. Horses for courses i guess. keep in mind what the steel wheel and tires weigh when you looking at you GVM numbers.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Scholars Differ and Debate

Optimum performance and world wide availability are often mutually exclusive and I have heard convincing arguments both ways.

-- Fuso fit these beasts with 750x16E tires in the US, duals on the back. This will probably give you the best load capacity and dead easy replacement almost anywhere in the world. PRO: Lowest cost, best performance on pavement (where you will spend over 90% of your time). CON: Some loss of off pavement performance, no cool factor at all.

-- There are various single rear wheel conversions. If you go with one, I would select one that has some form of track record and offers some form of guarantee. In this case, don't worry about tires and simply be prepared to ship a set when the time comes. PRO: Better off road performance. CON: Much higher cost.

Your money, your choice.

If you want to do some research on sizes, etc., you can look here: http://www.michelin.com.pe/home.html There is a link on the first page to other Michelin dealers in Central and South America. You will note that the size availablity varies from country to country, reflecting the quality of roads and level of development.

gait

Explorer
with 19" and Toyo tyres I moved the aircon condenser on FG649 from in front of left wheel to between the chassis rails at front. While it looked like there was plenty of clearance dynamic stresses mean all sorts of bouncing. I replaced the condenser. The hose fittings seemed a bit non-standard and presented a bit of a problem, maybe just my auto aircon guy didn't have the right bits.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Fred,.. long time.

I just did a quick search ....... As far as my Spanish would let me........Michelin on that South American website offer the XDE2+ in a 19.5". Very tough tyre . also available here.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I was actually surprised at the number of .5" sizes offered, 19.5, 22.5. The Goodyear site had many of the same options. Peru is a good example - the main road, is paved, from north to south. East to west, the situation is much worse. FWIW, the key word is "Regional" service; that means on and off pavement.

But at this point, I bow out, as what I don't know about Fuso and Isuzu light trucks fills books. And besides, I'm running perhaps the rarest tire on earth, a 295/70x18E.:(

GR8ADV

Explorer
As far as I know (and I've done a lot of research), the only road-legal SRW option that allows you to operate at - or over :) - GVWR is the ATW steel rim and Toyo M608Z combo.

I understand that argument that moving the load outward places a different (and less-centered) load on the wheel bearings, but I haven't seen it translate into any increased wear personally. I had an opportunity to worst-case test that (broken lug nuts on rear axle, heavily loaded). I had to replace the hub when I cut the studs off, and the wheel because the center bent. The bearings however were fine even under that abusive load.

Thanks. I hesitate with the 19.5's as more Baja trips are in the cards for us, and not being able to air these down causes me concern with their effectiveness. Seems like it is the only game in town however.

westyss

Explorer
Thanks. I hesitate with the 19.5's as more Baja trips are in the cards for us, and not being able to air these down causes me concern with their effectiveness. Seems like it is the only game in town however.

I am not sure why you say you can't air these tires down? They can't be aired down as effectively as a 35" tire on a 16" rim but they can be aired down. In sand or rough conditions I air my XDE2+ down to 22-24 psi front and 28-30 psi rears and that makes a for a much improved ride on both sand and rock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94