SRW's for FUSO

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
��Yup that is why we need somebody with these babies to give us a pic on the pavement. C'mon people��

Now that I have said that, two people have provided real time input that airing them down works for them.

I've never tried it - but have no reason to doubt what others are saying.

I will note that if you air down too much these tires pop off the bead super easy and take either a good sized compressor or CO2 to seat again. I broke the beads to put balance beads in and was amazed how easy they separated from the rims.

GR8ADV

Explorer

I will note that if you air down too much these tires pop off the bead super easy and take either a good sized compressor or CO2 to seat again. I broke the beads to put balance beads in and was amazed how easy they separated from the rims.
That would scare the crap out of me if it happened on a corner. They are really not designed to do that. Wish there was another option with the load capacity.

http://www.vrakking-tires.com/stock/4x4-tires/305-900r16-michelin-xzl-tire.html

These tires have a load capacity of 4670 lb each (at 62mph; it's only 4080 lb at 68mph), might be enough. They fit on a 6-7" 16" rim and are about 36.5" tall. Sorry no picture but they look just like the 7.50s and 8.25s in the site.
The 255s and 285/70R19.5s have about the same contact patch size at full inflation and load but of course the 255/100R16 will squash out better and not tend to debead so easily.

Charlie

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

I keep hearing this said but have not yet actually had some one say they popped a bead when aired down.....only that it "could" happen. If someone has please post on the experience. Like I said, we were down at 20psi on that day and really pushing into berms and potholes on purpose with heavily loaded trucks. Nothing.

alan

Explorer
That would scare the crap out of me if it happened on a corner. They are really not designed to do that. Wish there was another option with the load capacity.

From what john has said the load per wheel is 1500kg, that's not that high. 1800kg tyres or wheels are possible.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi the lowest we have had our 19.5 's down to was 35psi on the beach at Pebbly Beach northern NSW. It was high tide and we where in the very soft stuff,The truck seamed to go anywhere I pointed it .
At 4500kgs we are pretty light.
We did a run up the beach at a Evans Head with tyres at 50psi front 55psi rears ,only problem we had was getting off the beach ,had to do 2 run up the exit to get up and off the beach.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
From what john has said the load per wheel is 1500kg, that's not that high. 1800kg tyres or wheels are possible.

Hi Alan,

Absolutely.....and much higher if need be ....but in that PDF showing the tyre at 65 psi and 20 psi the load was only about 1500kg. It weighed around 6000 kg all up and was very evenly balanced.

See ya mate. Still trying to get those vids.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Still no pavement pics but here is the reply I got from ATW

I have attached some photos from a photo shoot we did with Truck Trends
Magazine about a month ago. These were taken in the Pismo Beach Sand Dunes,
and as you can see from the tracks in the first photo, very dry, deep, loose
sand. I deflated to 40 PSI and the tires did not deform width wise, but
elongated and to my liking, increased the foot print length wise and got
more of a foot print front to rear along the lines of a tank track. This
meant pushing less sand from a friction standpoint. We have deflated in our
shop on the pavement, and no noticeable change in the side walls. I was
very please, and actually surprised at the performance in the deep sand with
these tires.

snad1.jpg

GR8ADV

Explorer
ok this was pretty quick and dirty. Just went and measured one of our f650's loaded with goodyear 265/70 19.5's . 100 psi vs 35 psi
100 psi patch roughly 8.5x8.5 = 72 sq inches
35 psi patch roughly 12x10= 125 sq inches to outside of buldge
An increase of 74%
For comparison I measured a toyo 265/70 17 inch 70 series tire on a pick up.
32 psi patch roughly 9x10= 90 sq inches
20 psi patch roughly 12x12.5 147 Sq inches to outside of buldge
an increase of 63%
The 17 inch tire expanded roughly the same amount in both directions.
The 19.5 expanded proportionally much more longitudinally as expected.
100 psi
photo 4.JPG
35 psi
photo 3.JPG
35 psi
photo 2.JPG
patch with chalk for 100 and 35
photo (6).JPG

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I would not DOUBT ATW's opinion for a second!

Nobody I've seen has close to as much real world feedback as ATW for this situation.

I'm actually looking a getting 19.5" toyo M608z for a Jeep JKU, pretty much against everyone's opinion. Although one guy I spoke with says he has been seening some full blown rock crawl rigs beginning to use 19.5" commercial tires.

My main reasoning is because these tires are hands down the more puncture resistant. Not many things more annoying than a flat tire.

A harsher ride and less potential off road, IMO does not outweigh drastically minimizing the risk of a flat. Plus I heard the tread lasts a lot longer.

There's always the costly practically un-obtainable XZL's on 16"

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I'm still researching but with all the debate around 16 vs 19.5 I figured splitting the difference was a good bet ;)
With 17.5" there are lots of tyres available in the 136 - 143 (2240 - 2725 KG) load range especially outside of Australia.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I would not DOUBT ATW's opinion for a second!

Nobody I've seen has close to as much real world feedback as ATW for this situation.

I'm actually looking a getting 19.5" toyo M608z for a Jeep JKU, pretty much against everyone's opinion. Although one guy I spoke with says he has been seening some full blown rock crawl rigs beginning to use 19.5" commercial tires.

My main reasoning is because these tires are hands down the more puncture resistant. Not many things more annoying than a flat tire.

A harsher ride and less potential off road, IMO does not outweigh drastically minimizing the risk of a flat. Plus I heard the tread lasts a lot longer.

There's always the costly practically un-obtainable XZL's on 16"

Funny you should say that - when I put the M608z tires on my Fuso my thought was "I really don't need to carry a spare anymore with these things."

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Snark!

The 17 inch tire expanded roughly the same amount in both directions.
The 19.5 expanded proportionally much more longitudinally as expected.

This is an interesting return to some old data. Back in the day, those of us who loved 12.00x15 tires scoffed at the "grave digger" 750x16 tires used on Land Rovers. Then some Aussies began to do some experiments with airing down the 750x16. They found that the old Michelin claims for the XS Saharien tire were true, the tire "flattened out like the treads of a tank."

gbo_be13.jpg

That is, with a radial carcass, the tread patch didn't get much wider, but it got much, much longer. Depending on a lot of variables, this may be exactly what you want. (These are truck tires, but the design was the same.)

GR8ADV

Explorer
I have never really got direct answer from FUSO. We have never had an issue with the rear end and no we don`t need a high GVM for our product. Horses for courses i guess. keep in mind what the steel wheel and tires weigh when you looking at you GVM numbers.

I do not want to reduce the GVW of the vehicle in normal use. However, it is possible that having the aluminum wheels for my two spares could be a good way to go. What is the weight of a wheel and tire on your allow rims.

thanks!

gait

Explorer
Funny you should say that - when I put the M608z tires on my Fuso my thought was "I really don't need to carry a spare anymore with these things."

similar thought but slower .... having carried two of them from Malaysia to Europe and back, only suffered one sidewall puncture, and watched how easily a mobile tyre changer changed a tyre on a rim I'd carry one spare and consider a second tyre only for really out of the way unfrequented places. I must remember to rotate wheels, the tyres are feathering a bit with the parabolic springs and getting a bit out of balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne