Raptor Expeditions - Lost Coast Run

Big50

Adventurer
Here's a little report from a trip we made up the Lost Coast a couple weeks ago.

------
Our day officially began at 7:30am in the parking lot of Willits, CA. Although, I had been on the road since 5:30am. Not all bad as I got to see a couple balloons going on an early morning cruise.

IMG_0858 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

As I pulled up, it was nice to see some familiar faces from the Carson Run and new ones as well. After a quick round of greetings, we began loading the map files into everyone's lowrances. For some reason, we had some difficulty loading the files into John's GPS but we were eventually able to get it figured out after clearing all the older files. We then gathered for a quick drivers meeting. Today's route wouldn't have us booking it across the open desert like so many of our runs, but it would almost feel faster as the trees and brush fly by. This would also allow us to take in more of the epic scenery the day had in store for us.

After wrapping up the drivers meeting we all jumped in our trucks and made our way to the trailhead where many of us aired down.

IMG_0890 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

Some horses grazing near by

IMG_0900 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

We then slowly began making our way past a couple houses which were adjacent to the trail. Last year we had made the mistake of blasting by the houses at a whopping 15 MPH which so enraged the homeowner that she came running out on the deck of her house screaming and waving like a crazy women. We then began gaining elevation until we got a call over the radio that Rob's truck had died. Apparently he's had some electrical issues after having some lights installed. Luckily, a quick fuse swap and the truck fired right up.

We then came up to a clearing to take in the view. Unfortunately, the fog had not cleared so there wasn't much to see. Got a couple shots of the trucks pulling up.

IMG_0905 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

IMG_0907 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

IMG_0910 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

IMG_0913 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

IMG_0924 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

Blake actually blew past us lol. He quickly made a uturn and joined the group.

IMG_0933 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

Here I was trying to get a shot with everyone walking around but most everyone tried to duck and get out of the pick haha.

IMG_0306 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

We didn't stop for long and were quickly back on the trail. It was in pretty good shape and there was virtually no dust since the area had received a little bit of rain the day before. Only problem was there were occasional muddy spots which made the trail very slick. So, slick that one of us almost slide into a bank on a turn. Mud, turns, and speed do not mix well. This would not be the last time mud created problems for us.

Overall, we made great time and quickly found ourselves in Fort Bragg.

IMG_0947 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

Since we had made such quick work of the first section of trial I decided to take the group by Glass Beach. Glass Beach is really neat in that it used to Fort Braggs town dump 100-150 years ago. Town residents would just through their trash off the bluffs. Over time the ocean has pounded the glass from bottles into what look like colored rocks.

IMG_0027 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

The views were amazing since it was such a clear day.

IMG_0036 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

IMG_0015 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

IMG_0019 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

After 15 minutes we headed back to our trucks and began heading North towards the next section of trail.

IMG_0316 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

Didn't take us too long until we hit the next trailhead. Again, we stopped to take in the amazing views.

IMG_0968 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

IMG_0972 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

After making short work of the next section of trail we reached Sinkyone State Beach. Unfortunately for us, the Ranger was out as we pulled up so there would be no driving on the beach today. We decided this would be a perfect spot to stop and have lunch.

IMG_0335 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

IMG_0987 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

IMG_0339 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

After scarfing down our food and chatting it up for about an hour we decided we should pack up and hit the trail again. It's so beautiful that part of you just wants to pull out a chair and just sit back relax while taking in the views. But, we were only half way and had to press on.

The next section of trail is bumpier and covered in dead leaves since it is much less traveled. All was going well for the first 15-20 minutes until Bobby called over the radio that he was going to need “a little tow”. I immediately thought he must have slid part of his truck off the trail on a slick/muddy turn which I had called out. Andrew and I jumped out of our trucks to go see what had transpired. I didn't realize how separated we were because it took us much longer to reach them than I had thought. As we approached, I didn't see a truck sticking off the trail so I figured they'd already got Bobby back on trail. Eventually, Bobby's truck came into view and I was a bit shocked to say the least. He'd completely slid off the trail down the hill. My heart sank as this didn't look good.

IMG_0996 by raptorexpeditions, on Flickr

to be continued: http://www.raptorexpeditions.com/lost-coast-run-2014/

Last edited:

Big50

Adventurer
Nice adventure. Thanks.

Thank you!

tell us more? winch out? any damage?

The rest of the story can be found here: http://www.raptorexpeditions.com/lost-coast-run-2014/
Amazing trucks, Amazing trip!

That white extd cab with the 6 roof lights is my favorite!!

I'll tell him...he wanted something unique and he definitely accomplished that. He's a bit of a nut lol. He drove all the way from the SF Bay Area to Missouri to get it done.

keeganxt

Observer
So was this a different group then what I just read on motusworld.com? Looks like a very fun trip regardless, thank you for the pics!

rickashay

Explorer
Nice report! I was headed for this trail in May but ran out of my alotted time. Wow this makes me wish I would have stuck it out... excellent photos, I'll be back next year!

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Nice write up. Looks like y'all had perfect weather. That's such a rugged and beautiful area of the CA coast, i can't wait to go back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior