How to tell what springs I have...

I am looking at a 1991 suburban and I'm having trouble telling what springs are under the truck. They look stock but some of the front end components appear to be 2500 components. This is a 1500 truck. The VIN says its a 2wd, but it is a 4WD. Im also trying to figure out if it was converted. I haven't had a chance to look at the frame VIN and the owner has no idea where to look for that. I don't even know what to start a search for on this forum for answers.

The underbody photos dont show much. I need to look at the truck much closer. I hope its not a junkyard or stolen job. I don't mind a body swap

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

clandr1

Adventurer
Pass on the truck. If the VIN says it was 2WD, but the truck is 4WD, then you're dealing with either a body swap, theft, or some sort of junkyard salvage job. Just my opinion, YMMV

Stop trying to get me to keep my Mitsubishi longer. I repel your Jedi mind tricks. Also I have no idea how to remove the redundant attachment.

Last edited:

clandr1

Adventurer
Based on the wheels having 6 lugs, i assume those are 10 bolt axle housings, which are standard half ton (1500) running gear. My guess is you have a 2WD body on a half ton 4WD chassis.

It looks like the easiest way to check is the frame VIN. My neighbor is a cop and Ill have him run the frame VIN before I buy the truck. Frame thickness, while being far from accurate, could prove the same I guess. Of course this is the truck I want. Its perfect in every way for what I want and they don't come around and the price he is offering often here in Atlanta.

3500. The seller has put a ton of money into the truck in the past year. I have some engine bay photos but you cant see enough of the frame to tell if it once had the 2wd suspension. The drivers door also has an 89 VIN plate. Its possible Johnny Cash sang about this truck at one time...

Well, It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63

Last edited:

clandr1

Adventurer
I don't know the truck market in GA, but $3500 seems high for a frankentruck. I got my bone stock Jimmy for $1600 four years ago, with 147k on it. It hadn't been maintained particularly well, but it certainly wasn't spliced together or converted from it's factory form.

1stDeuce

Explorer
What I see all looks like 1/2 ton stuff. Ideally a 3/4 ton truck would have eight lug hubs and three springs on the front, but some only had two, and some 1/2 tons had three. (Plow package and diesels) The rear axle is a 10 bolt, and it's running 1/2 ton spring pack on the back too.

If you think it's been converted, check the front spring hangers, right at the front of the frame. If they're bolted on, then it was converted. If they're riveted, then it's on a factory 4wd frame at least.

If the truck is nice, and what you're looking for, I wouldn't necessarily run away. I've changed out more than one body, and there's nothing wrong with it that. Now if it's stolen, that's another story. I don't recall where the frame VIN is, but you should be able to find it via google. :)

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
All the tech data for the Chevy should be found on a big sticker inside the glovebox door.

Sticker like this:
P2110135_zps323e5dd1.jpg

It's good to see some friends over here too rxinhed. We think the glove box door was changed along with everything else. It's going to be fun figuring this one out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94