Which sleeping bag? Eddie Bauer or Mtn. Hardwear?

Mad Matt

Adventurer
I've had a Mountain Hardware Nickel Cigar bag for over 15yrs. I probably average 20+ nights a year sleeping in it and it still looks like new. As to the down vs synthetic debate, most of my camping has been in the wet pacific NW, so down really isnt an option, here in CO its debatable. just my two cents.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Again, thanks for the input. Still looking for a quality down bag sometime this fall, so I will definitely look into the Western Mountaineering and Feathered friends suggestions. Its a tough decision because even though that winter bag may only see a handful of nights each year, it really could be a life or death situation, so I don't want to skimp on quality. Whereas my 3 season bag that I use a dozen plus nights could be a cheapie Coleman and id probably be fine, albeit possibly uncomfortable lol.

Gear decisions, gear decisions...

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I doubt it will be a life or death situation, but it sure will be a "hell is frozen over outthere and Im nice and cozy inside my sleeping bag. So bring it !!!" type of deal..
and yes only a handful of nights, but oh what hellish nights they can be with the wrong gear !!!

Careful and avoid becoming a gear whore.... I have a few friends like that, and they can only smile ear to ear when the topic of gear comes up....

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Kelty Dri Down is fantastic for the price. Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are also good but I haven't found them to be worth the price.

LukesPa

Observer
http://www.kelty.com/p-646-ignite-dridown-0-en-7.aspx?category=sleeping-bags-pads

646.jpg

Stuffed with 600-fill, moisture-fighting DriDown™ insulation, the 2013 Outside Magazine Gear of the Year Award-winning Ignite Down 0°/EN 7º is a cold-weather performer that shrugs off melting snow and tent condensation. Light and compressible, this bag is at home on any cold weather campout. Available in regular and long sizes.

my recommendation.

MSRP is $289, $20 more for the long version

edit: plus, it's orange. orange is cool

I agree this is a great bag even better at 50% off as I got mine for. I had a warranty issue on a very old Kelty product no longer made, since they couldn't replace the item, they gave me a great coupon and I was able to buy a couple nice items at half price.

Kelty was a great company and made great stuff back in the late 70s when I started hiking, climbing, etc. They've stood the test of time. I've bought two sleeping bags, a tent and some other stuff in the last 2-3 years and I'm pleased with all of them.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Ive gotta chime in for Eddie Bauer!

Eddie Bauer put the First american on Mt Everest and they have a lifetime warranty so they are def not just a name. The first accent line is as good as it gets. Ive always had a Marmot sleeping bag but my Eddie Bauer down jacket is my favorite.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I just bought a Mtn Hardwear Lamina bag (Lamina 20) and used it for the first time at the NW Overland Rally. I was very impressed. Plenty warm, room enough to turn around, but still snug up against your body to retain heat. Compared to my old Eddie Bauer bag, I greatly preferred this one. Granted, I'm not even sure what the rating was on the old EB sack I had. But I know that it had a zip-in liner and was as PITA to get into. The thing had more zippers than my truck's soft top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles