Which sleeping bag? Eddie Bauer or Mtn. Hardwear?

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Trying to decide on a new sleeping bag and im driving myself crazy with it! Ive always had "budget" gear or off brand stuff. It usually works fine but I often find myself longing for higher quality this or that, when something fails to meet my expectations. Im at that point with my sleeping bag and want to buy myself a nice 0 degree bag. Here are the two im looking at, both pretty comparable in price ($220), but im torn on which to get. If anyone has experience with either, id love to hear it!

Mountain Hardwear Lamina 0 Reg
http://www.rei.com/product/846756/mountain-hardwear-lamina-0-sleeping-bag#specsTab

Eddie Bauer Igniter 0 Reg
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/i...ags&previousPage=&tab=first ascent&dcolor=300

The bonus with EB is their lifetime no questions asked return policy. Other than that, they look pretty close.

Thanks!

mattiep11

Adventurer
Try to find real down, and something that is waterproof breathable... that way in a pinch u can sleep on the dirt and not get soaked... I have two marmot bags...and had a great sierra designs one in the past...

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I would put my $$ on mountain hardware any day of a cold winter.....
Their equiptment has proven itself out there ........

Bauer on the other hand is a name brand.. and you are just paying for the name....

Other good options are marmot, western mountaineering, TNF, feather friends.....

jdlobb

Adventurer
I just bought a new Kelty sleeping bag that I'm really impressed with. They're about the same price as the ones you're looking at.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Ive always had "budget" gear or off brand stuff. It usually works fine but I often find myself longing for higher quality this or that, when something fails to meet my expectations. If anyone has experience with either, id love to hear it!
!
Synthetic insulation sucks. You are looking at budget bags that will mat down and insulate poorly. They are junk in 30 nights has been my experience. It's dry in Colorado so you should be looking at down. It's lighter and warmer. Synthetic is either cold or hot because they seem to only work in a narrow temp range. The ones you are looking at would work from 15-30 degrees and then you will hate it. A zero degree down bag would be good from 5-60. Hikers that weigh their synthetic bags will tell you they gain pounds over a few days because they hold sweat and don't breath. Yuck! They are nasty to slide in after a few days and ice cold for a long time until it warms up. With down you can slide in a freezing bag in your boxers and be warm in less than a minute. Learn what 600 and 800 down means. The higher the better and buy the highest end brand you can afford. I have a down Marmot and wife has an REI down bag of the same rating. The Marmot is twice as nice and thicker. Search clearance bags and find a nice down one that is last years color. I've been down this road and will never buy synthetic bags again.

jdlobb

Adventurer
http://www.kelty.com/p-646-ignite-dridown-0-en-7.aspx?category=sleeping-bags-pads

646.jpg

Stuffed with 600-fill, moisture-fighting DriDown™ insulation, the 2013 Outside Magazine Gear of the Year Award-winning Ignite Down 0°/EN 7º is a cold-weather performer that shrugs off melting snow and tent condensation. Light and compressible, this bag is at home on any cold weather campout. Available in regular and long sizes.

my recommendation.

MSRP is $289, $20 more for the long version

edit: plus, it's orange. orange is cool

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Ditto others get nice down IMHO
Also find last years models on sale save quite a bit

just eric

Adventurer
Mt Hardwear also has a lifetime warranty on their products. They have replaced a 4-season tent for me and have repaired a sleeping bag free of charge. I have used their gear all over the world and nothing bad to say about it.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Have you looked at Snugpak? I have used them in lots of third world countries and they have never let me down. The bonus is they are more compact than most other bags on the market

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Wow, thanks for all the input guys!

I found a deal I couldnt pass up and changed my thinking a bit. Instead of trying to get one "do it all" 4 season bag, I picked up a nice Eddie Bauer synthetic 20* for 3 season adventures. It packs super small, got rave reviews from some friends that own them and ive used the EB warranty on gear and its hassle free. It also helped that with my teacher discount and sale price, it dropped from $199 to $90, so I think i got a good deal, and I really like the bag. Now ill save a bit and find a nice 0 degree down bag like most of you have suggested, for my winter camping adventures.

Thanks for the input!!!!

just eric

Adventurer
Another vote for Western Mountaineering and/or Feathered Friends. Top quality stuff.

I said in the above thread that I have used mountain hardwear gear all over the world without complaint which is true. That being the case, my go to bag and down apparel are from western mountaineering and feathered friends, respectively. They are the best for their intended purposes but not the most durable. I find the durability of my mountain hardwear stuff to be a little better and the prices a little cheaper.

sjz

I'm glad you got a good deal, but I'll second what everyone else seems to be saying. Down is the way to go. I had synthetic at first too, due to budget, and going to down was a world of difference. Both the softness/feel of the bag but also the pack-ability. I would highly suggest a return and spending a little more for a nice bag. I personally have a kelty cosmic 20 degree down. I love it. Just incredible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles