Katie and Greg 1 year road trip in a VW Syncro

Syncrogreg

Thanks all for the advice!

Just completed an order of a 120W flexible solar panel. I'm now shopping for a MPPT solar charge controller...

That should cover my fridge and music usage. Here is a shot of yesterday at Land between the lake in KY. Good blast! I was able to try my second battery setup with separator and it did work well as we had energy all night long playing music etc... and in the morning that powerful crank got the engine started asap (I do not have the fridge install yet).

20140726_154835.jpg

and the other side

20140726_140639_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Greg

Syncrogreg

Hey man, I have a question on tire availability down there... what tire is easy to find? also what GPS or navigation system (map) are you using? and one last thing. insurancewise what are you doing?

Thanks a lot!

Greg
Hi Greg,
I am on that exact trip right now with my girlfriend. We are in Costa Rica right now starting to get shipping arrangements made to cross the Darien Gap. Our Syncro isn't quite as nice, but it has been performing wonderfully.
I installed 2 90 watt flexible mono crystalline panels that I bought on eBay. Morningstar prostar 15 amp pwm controller with fullriver agm 105 ah battery. I really like the flexible panels and think that the industrial strength Velcro mounting would work well although I used some SS studs that I ordered from McMasterCarr and epoxied to my home made pop top.

Hope his helps, and good luck with your preparations.

~SubagonSouth
www.subagonsouth.com

coguzzi

Adventurer
check out syncrogreg's build thread over on thesamba for true amazement--drool worthy master craftsman work here, one of the best (if not the best) built syncros out there and groundbreaking in many ways, critics ignored

bravo for the trip!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I just went through it, you are correct! Very nice - congrats on your wedding and have a great year on the road!

check out syncrogreg's build thread over on thesamba for true amazement--drool worthy master craftsman work here, one of the best (if not the best) built syncros out there and groundbreaking in many ways, critics ignored

bravo for the trip!

Syncrogreg

Hi all!

the advanture has started and we are about to cross the boarder in few days (currently at a cousin house in Palm Spring CA). I already have an oil change on the engine and now about 4200 miles on the clock since Nashville TN. Everything is super smooth and super efficient.

you can follow the adventure on our Facebook page called Crepe attack. here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/crepeattack

Some rumors are that Ferry Express is now offering a Ferry from Panama to Colombia?? and their first crossing was on October 28th.

Thanks for the compliments on my van, yes it was a lot of work but it is now pure pleasure to travel in it. talk soon!!

20141022_175859.jpg

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
Cuenca is so nice, the entirety of the Routa del Sol is so amazing. I miss Ecuador so much!! Have a blast, hope the surf is treating you kindly.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
lurker.gif

Ernvil

I've been following along on Facebook, and have enjoyed your pics. Keep 'em coming and continued safe travels!

Syncrogreg

Hey Everybody! Just saying hello! I forgot about that thread and wanted to say that we completed 60000 miles over 2x years. We went all the way down to South America and back by the road.
The van did amazing and was a great home. Most of the photos are on Instagram Instagram/crepeattack.com you will have to scroll back a while but I think it's worth it ;-)

Also we came back after the trip and I didn't feel like living in a regular house so we looked for land and we found a 100 acres with a small cabin that fit us well.

I will be hosting the first event on the 100 Acre "Syncroranch" October 4.5.6 just one week before Overland expo East so please consider a visit to Nashville TN if you want to meet. It will consist of overland camping with off-road course in a very natural environment. The trails are already done! but we can make new ones :) Nashville TN USA 4.5.6 October @Syncroranch 505070

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_104911_574.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks for the invite! if I ever manage to put my Syncro on the road, I would love to be there. Right now it is buried under 10 feet of snow in Truckee..

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online