Katie and Greg 1 year road trip in a VW Syncro

Syncrogreg

Hello,

My name is Greg and I have been building a Vanagon Syncro to realize a dream... Quit my job and drive all the way to patagonia with my wife!

10446053_10152300025499582_5906633876821678504_o.jpg

Katie and me are leaving in 6 weeks, so we are prepping the vehicle as much as possible, giving it local extended trips to make sure it is reliable etc... so far so GOOD! This week end we are on our way to land between the lake KY to abuse the 4WD system and see if there is some weak points ;-)

Other than that, I'm currently looking for a solar setup that would provide 150W. Please let me know if you know an install I could use on the pop top of my Vanagon.

Thanks for the input

Greg

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like a nice syncro. On the solar - If you put the solar module on the rooftop then when you park with the rear towards the south and pop the top the module would be angled well... and your sliding door / awning would be on the east side which is preferable in my experience for late afternoon shade.

I would get the biggest solar module I could fit up there between the back and the vent - even if that meant going with a higher voltage PV module (such as 24vdc) and having to use a step down type MPPT charge controller. The module would be cheaper (12 vdc solar modules are usually more expensive as far as $ per watt) but the controller would be more expensive but should give you more production over the coarse of a day compared to a cheaper type controller. A bigger solar module also shades more of the roof (be sure to leave some space under it for air flow).

Depends on what else you are thinking of putting on top I guess. You might talk with the "Das Mule" guys as they have a nice roof rack system that I think could hold a full size glass type solar module across the top:

img-2479.jpg

I would also buy or fab a set of rock sliders for the sides like they offer - good protection / insurance.

subagonsouth

Hi Greg,
I am on that exact trip right now with my girlfriend. We are in Costa Rica right now starting to get shipping arrangements made to cross the Darien Gap. Our Syncro isn't quite as nice, but it has been performing wonderfully.
I installed 2 90 watt flexible mono crystalline panels that I bought on eBay. Morningstar prostar 15 amp pwm controller with fullriver agm 105 ah battery. I really like the flexible panels and think that the industrial strength Velcro mounting would work well although I used some SS studs that I ordered from McMasterCarr and epoxied to my home made pop top.

Hope his helps, and good luck with your preparations.

~SubagonSouth
www.subagonsouth.com

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Looks like a nice syncro. On the solar - If you put the solar module on the rooftop then when you park with the rear towards the south and pop the top the module would be angled well... and your sliding door / awning would be on the east side which is preferable in my experience for late afternoon shade.

I would get the biggest solar module I could fit up there between the back and the vent - even if that meant going with a higher voltage PV module (such as 24vdc) and having to use a step down type MPPT charge controller. The module would be cheaper (12 vdc solar modules are usually more expensive as far as $ per watt) but the controller would be more expensive but should give you more production over the coarse of a day compared to a cheaper type controller. A bigger solar module also shades more of the roof (be sure to leave some space under it for air flow).

Depends on what else you are thinking of putting on top I guess. You might talk with the "Das Mule" guys as they have a nice roof rack system that I think could hold a full size glass type solar module across the top:

img-2479.jpg

I would also buy or fab a set of rock sliders for the sides like they offer - good protection / insurance.

That's the sexiest thing I've ever seen!!! :sombrero:

r_w

Adventurer
I am probably the one naysayer on roof mount solar. The issue is you can't park in the shade. Some kind of quick release and extension cable so you can set them in the sun when parked in the shade can make life much better.

Otherwise, I love the synchro and wish you a wonderful trip.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I am probably the one naysayer on roof mount solar. The issue is you can't park in the shade. Some kind of quick release and extension cable so you can set them in the sun when parked in the shade can make life much better.

Otherwise, I love the synchro and wish you a wonderful trip.

That was my approach. I built a rack for the panel that locks on the roof, and lets me quickly extract and relocate the panel when I want to park someplace that doesn't work for the panel. It's been particularly useful on the rare times we're in established campgrounds, since you can't arbitrarily park ***-south in those circumstances...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/124689-My-locking-solar-panel-roof-rack

spencyg

This Space For Rent
REALLY great Synchro.

I'm a 3rd vote for remote panels. I have a dual panel array (small panels, 50W each) for my van and they are attached via a military-style quick disconnect (Amphenol) and a 30' wire lead. I can position the panels anywhere within a 30ft radius for optimal sun and still be parked in the shade when possible. Storage of the panels has been the only issue but the inside of the van is large so it isn't a big deal in my particular application. Roof mounted panels that could be disconnected is certainly a viable option, but getting up and down from the roof with bulky fragile panels day after day could become tiring....

Best of luck on the trip. Enviable is an understatement.

SG

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The slide in "holding frame" idea for the roof mount is a good one - not so keen on the mounting it under the roof basket part. I also don't like putting the solar module inside of the van as it tends to get in the way and doesn't charge then when parked.

I am still nervous about putting a glass module on the ground - I've seen too many go sailing away due to a wind gust and end up broken. Getting a replacement solar module in the same size can be very difficult with the constantly changing models / sizes out there. What do you do to prevent it from being blown over/blown away when it is set up on the ground?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Mine are pretty stout with an extruded aluminum frame. I typically have them laying near flat or up against a tree depending on where the sun is coming from. I could see a big wind gust taking them away I suppose but it has never happened to me....

Biggest risk with my setup is somebody (i.e. one of my children) stepping on the panels or falling into them. I'm always careful to put them far out of the way of foot traffic. The best solution would be to have them on an extendable pole to get them up out of harms way, but that is both complex and heavy so I'll maintain my preference for having them portable on ground level.

SG

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I usually lean mine up against a tire, chuckbox, or whatever else is in the right sun. If it's windy, I can run a bungee cord into the extruded frame around some object, but it's not usually a big problem.

Mounting under the basket was a way for me to protect the panel and keep it easy to access from the rear bumper, but if I wanted I could have also mounted it forward of the basket and retrieved it off one side or the other.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Mine is permanently mounted to a fiberglass top. I used angled aluminum for brackets and thru bolted to the inside with fender washers and 3M 5200 sealant. As said here the shade on the roof is noticeable but the best thing is I forget it's up there. It works every day and all day. The angle is not as important in the south so it works great. One thing I do worry about are branches. I hit some big ones but got lucky. I recommend a saw like I made and posted here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3147&hilit=+Saw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior