3rd gen montero/pajero questions

sixstringsteve

Explorer
It's definitely not cheap when (if) it goes out though. Finding a clean 2003-2006 in my neck of the woods is getting really tough.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
My friend has a 2003 Monty he's willing to sell me. 135k, timing belt, valve o-rings done. However, it's been run on regular octane its whole life vs the Premium fuel that's recommended. Has this done any long-term damage to the enginge? I assume it has a knock sensor to retard the timing if it got regular fuel, but is this a vehicle to walk away from, or should it still be plenty reliable? I'll be running premium in it moving forward.

Also, it looks like most 6x5.5 wheels will fit the 3rd gens, due to their smaller 67.1 hub bore size. I wonder how the offset/backspacing compares to a typical tacoma wheel.

Last edited:

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
I've been running my 3.8 on regular since I got it, and no issues. I have an obd gauge cluster, and have been keeping a close eye on temps etc. The few times I towed in the mountains I used premium fuel, "just in case" but otherwise, straight 87. I'm at altitude, even at home, so of course my "87" is seen as higher than that... But I haven't seen any difference between reg and premium. Except of course the $$. Under a big load, I'll continue with premium just for the AKI.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
I also run 87 octane. There was a period when I used 91-94 to try and see the difference, and there was none. The engine idled, accelerated and consumed fuel just as it did on 87. However, I did notice a 10% range increase when using 100% gasoline as opposed to a (up to 15%) ethanol mixture. That can easily be explained, gasoline contains more energy. So to answer your question, don't think you HAVE to use premium fuel with the 3.8.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Good feedback, thanks. Here in Utah, at elevation, our "regular" grade is 85 octane. Mid grade is 87, and premium is 89. I think I'll run 87 at least just to be safe.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
You have it backwards. The 3.5L requires premium fuel. 3.8L runs on either but designed for premium (better performance and mpg). The 2003 and later are much more desirable. You get the 5 speed, 3.8L and you can swap the XLS 4.90 gears which are ideal for 33-35" tires. The 2003+ traction control is vastly superior to the previous LSD. It is incredible for most trail driving. However, I'm installing ARBs in mine.

Does my 2003 XLS have 4.90s in it?

jhill15

Explorer
The best way to find out is to crawl up underneath and look at the rear diff from the back there will be a stamp like this
epaqu7yn.jpg
with what gears you have. Also if it says hybid lsd then you have a limited slip

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
thanks rattle&thump. How many miles have you logged on your monty?

Only about 8000 kms so far on this one... This one is not going to see the miles that my diesels did. My wife will be driving it as her DD and I'll drive the Lancer Sportback for the fuel economy. Unless there's adventure to be had!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior