3rd gen montero/pajero questions

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I've done quite a bit of reading over the last few days and i had a few questions for the Montero/Pajero gurus out there. I'm shopping for the right monty and I want to make sure my intel is good.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this info.

2001-2002 monteros in the US
- came with the 3.5L motor, which is prone to valve guide leaks. This motor does not require premium fuel.
- timing belts should be done every 60k as this is an interference engine
- any model that has the sunroof also has the LSD
- M-ATC traction control WAS NOT available in these years
- some XLS models came with sunroofs, but not all
- Limited models came with the 5 speed tiptronic tranny. other models came with the 4-speed auto

2003-2006 monteros in the US
- came with the 3.8L motor, which requires premium fuel and also has valve guide leaks
- timing belts should be done every 60k as this is an interference engine
- M-ATC traction control available in all 4x4 trim models (and this is a fantastic system)
- XLS model was discontinued at the end of 2003. From 2004-2006, all monteros were limiteds (though not all had the sunroof)

Questions:

Is the LSD pretty effective? I know quite a few manufacturers put LSDs in their car and some work great and some barely do anything at all. I don't think I need a locking rear diff, but if the LSD is almost as good as the M-ATC in getting you unstuck, that's good enough for me. If the M-ATC is far superior to the LSD, then I'll be going the M-ATC route. I don't plan on hardcore rock crawling, but excursions in the snow, mud, and rocks are normal for me.

What years/trim models came with the 4.90 diff gears?

Any other major issues to look out for?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I can't compare, not having driven a later model, but my '01 Ltd with LSD is amazing. I would never consider putting a rear locker in, although I have thought about dropping in a front autolocker.

I'm not aware of any particular issues to watch out for; it's a very robust vehicle. The hardcore guys are always amazed at what my near-stock rig can do.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Thanks Sabre, that's just the sort of thing I'm looking for. When one wheel is on ice, will it put power to the other wheel?
Yes, though it is not a locked diff. The clutch system will reduce torque applied to the wheel that's slipping and will increase it to the more slowly-turning wheel. An important concept in actually driving with a LSD is that the coupling of the two wheels is proportional to the torque applied by the drive shaft. In other words, if very little torque is being delivered, very little pressure is being applied to the diff's clutch system and it will effectively be an open diff. Conversely, with higher torque loads, greater clutch friction will increase the coupling of the rear wheels. Knowing this, one can often improve the LSD's effectiveness by applying some brake to load the driveline with more torque when trying to start moving from a stop or when moving at very slow speeds. The fancy system in later models is basically applying selective braking to spinning wheels to do exactly this.

I've crawled my '01 on some ridiculous stuff in Utah that I had no business being on, and was never disappointed in how well a stock rig could do.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Yup, all clutches do eventually wear out. Keeping the diff serviced regularly with the proper oil will prolong its life, but sooner or later....

Nope, no idea how long!

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'm sure the Gen 3 LSD is a Torsen type unit (no clutches)

I've seen a variety of information out there about this. My '01 Ltd requires the special LSD diff oil; is that necessary with a straight Torsen?

Most of the info from Mitsubishi describes a "torque-sensing" LSD in the NM model. Other documentation describes a "hybrid LSD" which combines the torque-sensing ability of helical gears with the speed sensing of viscous coupling.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Check out the site linked below to compare the two models in greater detail.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23638&sid=83231efa42c38dd8061aad222bc0cfc5

From that page:

NP model Oct 02-Oct 06
traction / stability control introduced
lwb 3.5 SOHC V6 5sp (V5M31) or 5sp auto (V5A51) 3.2 DID 5sp (V5M31) or 5sp auto (V5A51)
Oct 03 3.8 SOHC introduced only with 5sp auto (V5A51)
Jan 05 MATT (Mitsu All Terrain Technology) introduced across model range

That's pretty cool. It looks like the ideal rig for me would be an Oct 2002-Oct 2003 XLS. I'd get the 5 speed auto, 3.5L engine (which doesn't require premium fuel), and still get the traction control. Sounds impossible to find.

montypower

Adventure Time!
You have it backwards. The 3.5L requires premium fuel. 3.8L runs on either but designed for premium (better performance and mpg). The 2003 and later are much more desirable. You get the 5 speed, 3.8L and you can swap the XLS 4.90 gears which are ideal for 33-35" tires. The 2003+ traction control is vastly superior to the previous LSD. It is incredible for most trail driving. However, I'm installing ARBs in mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles