Sleeping setups

First off sorry if this has been discussed before.
Ok so I'm planing a trip from Vancouver island down the coast to California,death valley,Las Vegas and back,it would be around 6500 kms in 3 weeks.
I was going to get a RTT but I have a 95 pound pit bull/lab mix and don't want to be lifting him up and down from the roof.
So then I thought Id get a pop up tent trailer,lift it and put big tires on it,after getting one I have decided its just to big to off road with...So Id like to see some of your setups for sleeping in the back of your trucks and what storage you have? Pictures would be AWESOME !!
Thanks for any input !

Dazrin

Adventurer
Check out the "Post up your drawer/storage system" thread in the Storage Solutions forum. Lots of good ideas in there many of which are sleeping platforms in addition to storage units. I use my 93 LC for sleeping in and there is plenty of space for me (5'-10"), I just needed a platform to get the rear level with the 2nd row seats folded down.

I am not familiar with the 4Runner section of this forum, but they might have some less generic options too (although, I am sure there are many 4Runners in the thread above.)

nucktaco

Adventurer
my buddy had a 92 hilux surf (same as your 4 runner). he used to sleep in the back all the time. the rear seats fold down flat and he just took a rolled up mattress topper and his bed sheets from home and rolled them out every night. took 5 mins to setup and was roomy enough.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I started using a camp time roll a cot recently, but I have had a homemade screen for a few years now.
6u3ytyzu.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Pretty basic. I took an old tent and made measurements and cut and stitched as needed. Then stitched Velcro around the perimeter and epoxy to hold the other part of the Velcro to the shell and bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erik N

Adventurer
First off sorry if this has been discussed before.
Ok so I'm planing a trip from Vancouver island down the coast to California,death valley,Las Vegas and back,it would be around 6500 kms in 3 weeks.
I was going to get a RTT but I have a 95 pound pit bull/lab mix and don't want to be lifting him up and down from the roof.
So then I thought Id get a pop up tent trailer,lift it and put big tires on it,after getting one I have decided its just to big to off road with...So Id like to see some of your setups for sleeping in the back of your trucks and what storage you have? Pictures would be AWESOME !!
Thanks for any input !

Answer: Tentcot. Best $200 you will ever spend.

Erik N

Adventurer
Trust me, once you try out a tentcot you will never go back. IMO, it is truly the best solution for someone traveling in a vehicle.

I have spent at least 200 nights in mine (I own 3, each one stays loaded in one of my cars or trucks). They literally set up in less than 3 minutes. There is no searching for a "suitable" tent site, because you are off the ground... ie no worries about puddles or rocks or pine cones or bugs crawling in. And no getting up to pee in the middle of the night, either, just hang your junk out the door and fire away. I have slept through many a torrential PINS monsoon, snug and dry. I keep one in my S TX beach shark rig, one in my W Coast steelhead rig, and I switch one between the back of my MBZ or Porsche for long road trips... along with a small cooler and a duffel bag you are good to go, instant camp!

I bought a $10 walmart foam pads that stay in them permanently. Hang a $5 headlamp from the interior. Keep a handful of clothespins in one of the interior pockets to hold the flaps open to dry it out (TX is very humid, W Coast mountains not so much).

I have never tried a RTT, but that seems like such a fussy thing. And your vehicle is then immobile (I like to be able to leave camp, drive around looking for fish, then return). That pic above of the tent in the truck is way too much work I would think as well. I mean... unload the truck, set up the tent, reload truck, etc. I am too lazy for that!

Here's a crappy pic, but you get the idea. IMO a tentcot is truly the best solution. Read the reviews on Amazon, people absolutely LOVE them!

You're welcome!

Attachments

• DSCN0884.jpg
    DSCN0884.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz