w0mps WJ Build Thread

W0mps

Adventurer
I went in a totally different direction than the cases now. I figure I can throw this in the back when I take trips and save the space during normal daily driving. I'm thinking I can consolidate everything in my three action packers and still have room in this bag. I like it because it has tie downs that I can secure it to the cargo hooks with and it also comes with a stow-away rain cover that I can put on and throw it in the roof rack if I run out of room during camping season. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday, $99.99 and free shipping from Summit Racing!

W0mps

Adventurer
I have to say that this trail bag is HUGE, yet COMPACT. It's a nice quality material and has room for TONS of gear. I originally had three action packers on my rack filled with gear, and I was able to fit two packers worth in the bag and have only filled it up about 50%. I decided not to put my one action packer in the bag, the one that contained my spare fluids. I didn't want to risk any kind of leak causing damage to the bag or my interior. With the action packers, a leak would be contained. I kept the fluids in the original action packer and will probably throw it on the roof rack during bigger trips. Anyway, anyone looking to purchase this bag, my first impression is I highly recommend it! It also has MOLLE/PALS webbing if you had any need to add other bags to it. Fits nicely in the back of the Jeep -

Here's what's in it:

Smittybilt Trail Bag:
Blue Paper Towels
Latex Gloves
Garbage Bags
5'x5' Drop Cloth
Toilet Paper
Terry Towels
Wire Ties
Bailing Wire
Duct Tape
Assorted Mini/Regular Fuses
32oz Spring Water
24" Bungee Cords
12V Air Compressor
12V Drop Light
Spare Serpentine Belt
Spare Universal Joint*
Spare Tie Rod End*

Last edited:

W0mps

Adventurer
I installed my Firestik quick disconnect today. Was tired of getting my adjustable out every time I had to drive into a parking garage or hit the car wash. Simple and effective.

After removing my cargo rack, where my Hi Lift was originally mounted, I had no place to put it. I didn't like the idea of a 60 pound hunk of cast iron floating around the back during off road trips, so I re-mounted my mounts to the roof rack. I had originally bought them for the roof rack, but decided I didn't like the Hi Lift up there constantly, rotting away in the elements. Also, the stock plastic crossbars weren't up to the task of holding it all the time, and made my rack lean to one side. So the mounts were bolted to the back of the rack, directly above the stock crossbar, where it would distribute the weight. I only plan to throw it up there during trips, and after I get some stronger cross bars, I may consider putting the mounts on the one side of the rack for good. The opposite side will one day house my awning. Sorry for the crappy pics, it was dark by the time I finished.

All my camping and trail gear packed away ready to go!

W0mps

Adventurer
Mounted up my Kidde fire extinguisher. It's flush up against the window, hope it don't start rattling on me! :Wow1:

W0mps

Adventurer
I ended up buying the upgraded metal bracket for the fire extinguisher and remounted it in place of the small cargo net. It seemed too crowded on top of the plastic with the flashlight. Also, the plastic mount that came with the extinguisher was very flimsy. Picked up the metal bracket at Home Depot for around $8.

Pretty cool HDR picture of the cargo area with the hatch lights on -

A nice measure of light output photo -

jpat30

Adventurer
Love it! I am going to have to "borrow" your mounting location for a fire extinguisher. What size kiddie is that?

veiri86

Finished up the front end today, just need to slap on the steering, bleed the brakes and torque everything down and off to the alignment shop it goes!

02WJ144.jpg

02WJ145.jpg

02WJ146.jpg

02WJ147.jpg

So, I went and had the alignment done. Specs are posted below. I am sitting at about 1.8* of caster and the Jeep has never drove better. I had the alignment done, front and rear pinion angle set and all four tires balanced. My alignment shop is about 45 minutes away. I had gotten death wobble about 5 times during the trip there, and took it easy the rest of the trip. After a couple hours, they got it set perfect. No vibrations, bump steer or death wobble. Just awesome handling and steering, not one shimmy or wobble the whole way home doing 85 MPH. Hats off to the guys at OK4WD in Stewartsville, NJ, they seem to really know what they are doing. Highly recommended shop and priced very reasonable!

02WJ148.jpg

First, I would like to say well done. It is really nice and clean build thread. I have the exact same setup, 4" coils which netted me 5.5" and IRO adjustable arms upper and lower front, and rear upper and lower. But am kind of lost about the measurements. Here in this part of the world not many people knows anything about the WJ. So I am doing everything myself even the alignment. But my main concern is the control arms measurements, I know I sound silly, but I really will be glad if you can measure the front lower and upper arms adjustable arms eye to eye, and the rear lower control arm eye to eye and IRO A-arm measurements. As am having terrible vibes from the rear and the front. SO I can have good starting point. Thanks in advance

I

W0mps

Adventurer
Hey bud, unfortunately I can't get under there to measure due to the nasty winter weather we have here in NJ currently, but I set my starting point with IRO suggested measurements. I'd give them a call. I then went and got the alignment. Good luck, the WJ is nothing short of a steering nightmare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior