w0mps WJ Build Thread

W0mps

Adventurer
awesome build dude, love seeing modded grand cherokees.

also love the fact you stock with the OEM wheels... didnt go to something boring or unoriginal like a steel wheel.

Thanks, yeah I wanted to keep the stock theme to it. They should have had them come factory how it sits.

PirateB

Love the wj, hope mine looks half as good one of these days! Jealous of your limited 4.7 with selectrac! I couldn't find a single 4.7 with selectrac so ended up with a 4.7 Laredo with quadratrac (not so terrible, really). Anyway, subscribed!

W0mps

Adventurer
After I installed the back rack with the action packers, I blocked the rear cargo light and lost all light in the cargo compartment. So the next project begins. I installed five LED bolt lights in the rear hatch. They are a cool white color (to match the interior lighting) and put out 18 lumens each at a 60 degree flood pattern. They draw .5w each and are super bright. Today I mounted and wired them in the hatch and tomorrow I will be installing the switch and finalized wiring. Here's some pictures -

I will post completion pictures tomorrow!

Last edited:

W0mps

Adventurer
I finished up the project today and couldn't be happier with it. Everything worked out great. Only advice I have it to be patient and measure twice, cut once for the plastics. I simply tied the switch into the rear 20A power outlet, being that the lights will not draw no more than 3w.

Cutting in the switch, I used a milwaukee multi tool for the rough cut opening and then a razor knife to trim it up for a perfect fit:

For the terminals on the switch I crimped/soldered/heat shrinked stake-on's in case I need to remove the plastic trim in the future:

I was able to snake the wires through a plastic clip hole (lost one mounting spot, didn't make a difference), through the rubber grommet (PITA!) and inside the metal subframe for the roof to the rear pillar, and ended at my switch location. I also added some plugs, again, if I have to remove the plastic in the future, I can avoid cutting wires:

Here are the completion pictures after everything was reassembled and cleaned up:

Hopefully these will be nice and bright and will be a sufficient source of light when it's dark. I will post some night pictures later on.

Lecoq

Explorer
Looks great. Attention to detail is amazing. What's next?

Also, did the springs settle a bit more?

Last edited:

W0mps

Adventurer
Looks great. Attention to detail is amazing. What's next?

Also, did the springs settle a bit more?

Thanks. The springs settled fine a couple weeks after the lift install. Haven't noticed a difference since then. There's been a few things I've been working on that I was going to update my build this weekend.

1 - I've converted the entire inside lighting system to LED.
2 - I went with Cree LED headlight lamps, high and low beams.
3 - I went with LED's in the turn signals and running lights.
4 - I powdercoated my JCR Offroad Stage 3 Sliders the same color/texture as my Baja Rack and mounted them up.

Next up I'd like to get a fire extinguisher on board as well as a first aid kit. Also, I plan on doing LED tail lights and third brake light. After that it's time to save some money for a rear tire carrier and front winch bumper. They will be powdercoated the same color as the Jeep. I like the black and white because it adds a slight contrast.

Stay tuned this weekend, I'll get some pictures up! :wings:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94