Has anyone mounted a CVT awning to a Flippac?

Camelfilter

Explorer
Howdy,

Just curious if anyone has mounted a CVT awning, or similar bag awning onto there Flippac.

How'd you do it?

The previous owners of my FP had a Fiama (I think) mounted on the rear, but it looks like it used a different mounting system.

I was "hoping" I could have an adjustable mount system- ie on the rear mostly, but also on the passenger side on occasion.

I'd likely keep it mounted in the rear while driving though, so the mount would have to be safe & sturdy.

---Ideas most welcomed!! I had initially thought I could use some aluminum table-->vehicle slide in mounts, but it doesn't look as though those will work. Definitely not safe for driving.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Pictures of the the mounting plate for my CVT awning:

image.jpg

image.jpg

This picture shows the hardware provided. The nuts slide in the grove on the plate, and attach to the L bracket which would normall attach to a roof rack system.

image.jpg

The included system won't work for us Flippers, so...

subterran

Adventurer
We'll, mine's not a flip pac, but I bet my mounting system would work. Check my build thread in my signature, post #22. See what you think.

Camelfilter

Explorer
We'll, mine's not a flip pac, but I bet my mounting system would work. Check my build thread in my signature, post #22. See what you think.

Thanks for the idea(s), I've been following your build (the AC turned out great!).

Your awning mount system is super versatile. Very handy with that speaker mount pole when swung out as well.

subterran

Adventurer
Thanks, I'm glad you like the build. I don't suppose the flip-around trick will work for you, as I dont know how close you could get the back mount, but the quick release mounting system can surely work. You can make side and rear mounts, and move it as you require. Let me know if I can get you better pictures of anything of you decide to try it. Good luck!

MegaRoamer

I think if they were to make an upgrade to the Flippac it would be to have the roof open towards the rear instead of over the front of the vehicle. That way you would have instant awning.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
But many people - myself included - prefer it to flip over the cab. Your whole footprint is the same as your parking space. That has already saved me a time or two.

I think if they were to make an upgrade to the Flippac it would be to have the roof open towards the rear instead of over the front of the vehicle. That way you would have instant awning.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Did you through bolt? Nutsert? I was wondering if I drill the back hole larger and use a large washer and nut if that would hold better....

Thanks

The previous owners had through bolted for a different awning, so I just used the same bolts. The nuts on the inside are backed with big fender washers also. It seems pretty sturdy.

Probably sturdiest to direct bolt the awning, as the previous owners (Shruk/RoamingRobertsons) did, but this setup will take a lot to fail IMO.

Plus is I can pop it off in a minute & the standoff from the brackets seams it'll be easier to tuck in the tent.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Did you feel there is an open void between the inner and outer fiberglass? I really want to add an aircraft track mounting point, but don't want to ruin the FP

Thanks

The previous owners had through bolted for a different awning, so I just used the same bolts. The nuts on the inside are backed with big fender washers also. It seems pretty sturdy.

Probably sturdiest to direct bolt the awning, as the previous owners (Shruk/RoamingRobertsons) did, but this setup will take a lot to fail IMO.

Plus is I can pop it off in a minute & the standoff from the brackets seams it'll be easier to tuck in the tent.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Did you feel there is an open void between the inner and outer fiberglass? I really want to add an aircraft track mounting point, but don't want to ruin the FP

Thanks

It's just single wall where it's bolted as far as I could tell. Track would go up there nicely.

Someone on a thread here has pictures of what the internal skeleton/structure of flippacs looks like. Some spots are double wall as you mention, some spots have metal reinforcing and some spots have wood.

dman93

Adventurer
Someone on a thread here has pictures of what the internal skeleton/structure of flippacs looks like. Some spots are double wall as you mention, some spots have metal reinforcing and some spots have wood.

I've searched for this but couldn't find it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks - dman93

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz