First generation tacoma popping sound and feel when making sharp turns.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
I've noticed a "popping" sound and feel when making sharp turns to the left and right. I can not pin point the origin of this. Please help me in this annoying problem. I'll say what I've done in the last six months to give everyone a better picture of the truck. New OME suspension and lower ball joints followed by an alignment, new 235/85/r16 AT2 tires and new CV joints on both sides. I've checked every moving steering component that I could think to look at and I don't take this truck rock crawling. It is simply my daily driver with fire road and low impact 4x4 trail use on the weekends. In case it matters the trucks odometer just rolled 252k. I am puzzled. Please help. Thank you in advance. image.jpg

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I'm assuming you checked and already have replaced the Steering Rack on the truck, maybe twice with that milage? No chance of the bumper having cracked a frame mount or something causing it to rub or twist on sharp turns? What you're describing to me sounds like a broken weld or a crack someplace where 2 pieces of metal are contacting and passing each other with a "pop or crack sound". So, if it were me and I'm sure you've done this, check all the body mounts, welds on the frame, engine mounts, skid plates ect. Might not be steering related but steering puts the kind of lateral stress on the area to make it produce the sound.

Hope you find it soon. Stuff like that is annoying.

Best,
Jorge

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
10-4 jorge. I'll check the rest of the frame. I can fell it on each side of the truck, left side on left turns and the same for right. It's only on hard turns when the corner of the truck dives in to the turn. I've never replaced the rack and not sure if my old boss did when he owned it.

dlh62c

Explorer
When I read your post my first thought was the CV joints, but you said they had been replaced.

Were they replaced at both ends of the drive axle or just the outer ones?

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
My 03 Tundra (just an overgrown Tacoma) had a pop like that- after lower BJ's were replaced under recall- found the jamb nut on a tie rod end lose. Snugged it up- never a problem again. Does the sound happen when rolling/driving through a tight turn, or also when turning the wheel lock to lock while stopped?

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
My 03 Tundra (just an overgrown Tacoma) had a pop like that- after lower BJ's were replaced under recall- found the jamb nut on a tie rod end lose. Snugged it up- never a problem again. Does the sound happen when rolling/driving through a tight turn, or also when turning the wheel lock to lock while stopped?

Only while rolling through a tight turn. I'll check that.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
I doubt it is the frame, my vehicle (2001 pathfinder) does not have a frame and makes the same noise when pulling in or turning out of a parking space. I have 160k on the vehicle and the balljoints or cv's is what I was guessing it may be... We also have completely different steering and suspension components, but cv's and ball joints are similar. Best of luck on your search and please let us know if you find the issue.

Joe's Toy

Observer
Ball Joints

What about the upper ball joints? I have some king coilovers cranked up on my Tacoma and I've just recently replaced my uppers due to a nasty pop when I hit bumps. It fixed my issue.

OverlanderFJ62

Popping sounds

I just went through this, if you need pics let me know of a U&L Ball Joint failure. 1st, I would lean toward "Both" Upper & Lower Ball Joints. If this is the case it could be catastrophic to mild depending the outcome if they separate. 2nd front stabilizer bar Bushing(s)

Its a Toyota (Tacoma/others) thing when it comes to High Mileage/normal PM replacement/shelf life & other driving conditions that may differ from what one would call out of the norm. But also not to rule out other Suspension items.

Best of luck with your diagnosis

slamunion

Try see if 4 wd engaged makes a differance. The CVs are engaged to the c wheel at all times but not the diff. See if 4 wd engaged changing the torque load on the CVs makes a differance. After maker CVs are trash and cause lots of issues. Ball joints typically squeak not pop but it could be possible. Also check your springs and struts it's possible the spring isn't seated correct on strut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94