First generation tacoma popping sound and feel when making sharp turns.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I've had this problem with worn out sway bar links. It would only pop when the truck shifted into a corner. The bushings had completely rotted off and the sway bar would hit the top nut.

AxleIke

Adventurer
x whatever on the sway bar. I had this same problem. The lower nuts loosened up and were making this god awful popping noise. You have to get a 19mm wrench on the back side to tighten them, but it fixed the issue.

KK6POV

Adventurer
I had catastrophic failure due to using moog LBJ with less that 5000 miles on them. I would recommend only using toyota ones. As for the sway bar, thats a possibility, my end links were loose.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
Sway bar nuts were a little loose, tightened them up and haven't notice the popping yet. Thanks for all the responses.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
I had catastrophic failure due to using moog LBJ with less that 5000 miles on them. I would recommend only using toyota ones. As for the sway bar, thats a possibility, my end links were loose.

That's crazy! I've never had a problem with Moog parts before, wonder if it was a freak thing.

jlandon

Get Dirty.

They are the same. 100%. I had one Toyota and one moog for two different rigs. The LBJs themselves were identical. Same markings, same boots, same everthing. Dangerous difference? The moogs come with bolts that are too short for safety. I source grade 8s locally and add a nut to the inside two bolts in addition to loctite.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
My z71 stock started doing the same thing ended up being wheel bearings.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Toiyabe

Adventurer
They are the same. 100%. I had one Toyota and one moog for two different rigs. The LBJs themselves were identical. Same markings, same boots, same everthing. Dangerous difference? The moogs come with bolts that are too short for safety. I source grade 8s locally and add a nut to the inside two bolts in addition to loctite.

This may have been true in the past, but right now, for first generation Tacomas, it is not. It appears that there all the reputable aftermarket LBJs are made by 555 Sankei (Moog included) and the design and manufacture is not the same as OE. There is a long thread on tacomaworld about it, which-after wading through hyperbole and conjecture-has great pictures of the differences.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/266989-ball-joints-3.html
Another thread showed the sectioned Moog/555 as well.

jlandon

Get Dirty.
This may have been true in the past, but right now, for first generation Tacomas, it is not. It appears that there all the reputable aftermarket LBJs are made by 555 Sankei (Moog included) and the design and manufacture is not the same as OE. There is a long thread on tacomaworld about it, which-after wading through hyperbole and conjecture-has great pictures of the differences.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/266989-ball-joints-3.html
Another thread showed the sectioned Moog/555 as well.

Great to know. I will start sourcing them through Toyota again then. Cost is about the same, one I drive 5 miles for and the other I drive 45 miles.

KK6POV

Adventurer
I don't have the pictures anymore but I will try to describe. With the LBJ removed from the vehicle, you can move the Toyota one freely and it returns to center. the Moog and the 555 must be moved with some force, and then due to binding, they do not return to center. What had happened was due to this excessive force and grinding in the cup, it finally popped out. When it popped, the the weight of the vehicle rested on the inside of the wheel, in turn transferring the vehicle weight to the UCA. This broke the spindle off of the UCA. How's that for stregth!? Camburg is not the weak link the spindle lost that battle. The owner of The Truck Shop, James, said there are some parts you can only trust factory, LBJ is one of them. He is an awesome Toyota mechanic so I trust him.

Hanks94

This sounds like something that was happening to my 94 Toyota Pickup, it ended up being that the bushing in the lower control arm and sway bar were completely worn out. Once I replace them the popping sound and feel stopped. It was just as you described, only on a rolling tight turn. Hope that helps and good luck getting it figured out.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
Figured it out! While on a trip north to Bend, OR. I was looking at the jack rabbit carnage from driving through the Oregon Outback at midnight. I found the the bolt on the front of my passenger side leaf spring was holding on by a few threads. After tightening it and all the other found that the popping was gone. I think with every tight turn there was enough flex to cause a shock load on the spring to make the noise. Thanks for all the input EXPO members!
image.jpg
Now it's time to wash this rig. Plenty of dirt and rabbit on the body and under carriage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior