Project Casita #2

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I must have lost my mind; I most definitely lost my mind. Apparently some people never learn.
I spent the last 1 1/2 years to restore my Casita from this
casita06.jpgCasita13.jpg
to this
casita20.jpg
vowed that I will never ever pick up somebody else's abandoned project anymore in my life, finally completed it about 2 months ago only to decide on a whim - before I even took it out on anything longer than a couple weekend trips - to sell it to be able to leave on a 2,000 mile round trip to pick up this:
Project Casita #2
San Antonio 4.jpgSan Antonio 3.jpg
Can't wait for Friday to come to head South to rescue this puppy :elkgrin:

Septu

Explorer
Seriously? Last one looked great. Is the new one bigger/shorter/different in some reason to make it worth starting all over again? I get that some people just like to tinker... but shouldn't you do that, while you still have something to use in the meantime?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Try and get it right this time wouldja? Jeez. :D

Did you at least make a profit on the first one? Then you wouldn't be crazy to do it again.

Otherwise...yes, you've lost your mind. And I seriously doubt you'll find it in that pile of stuff in the pic next to #2.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Seriously? Last one looked great. Is the new one bigger/shorter/different in some reason to make it worth starting all over again? I get that some people just like to tinker... but shouldn't you do that, while you still have something to use in the meantime?
Hey, I told you I've probably gone crazy :D
Actually several reasons:
  • Casita #2 is the shorter 13' model, which is what I always wanted but could not find in my price range. The 13' offers more than enough interior space for my needs, has a much shorter rear overhang and does not take up as much space in my garage. (I will be able to access my tool cabinet without having to open the garage door to get around the camper)
  • Casita #2 is 13 years younger.
  • I learned a lot redoing Casita #1 and got a lot of ideas of what I could do differently and better next time. I am excited that "next time" came so quickly :cool: as I truly enjoyed the tinkering part of the project. So I will try to get it right this time :D
  • Don't have the space to keep two trailers. I spend a lot of time traveling for my job and unluckily don't have all that much time going camping except a weekend here and there, so for now it is back to my good old tent. Plus I hope that pretty quickly Casita #2 will reach a stage where with an air-mattress, she will be usable offering tent-like comfort for a quick weekend trip
Last but not least:
  • With both my sons in college, the couple $$ I made selling #1 come in very handy :)

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Yeah, you usually think of things that you'd do differently the 2nd time around. I know I did with my JK. And no doubt the $$ comes in handy. Hopefully you get it up and ready in time to enjoy some camping... but I just realized that you live in the south, and can easily camp (and enjoy it) year round.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Septu, always loved to travel to Scandinavia when I still lived in Europe, hopefully I can make it to Alaska one of these days (summertime though, I'm a kinda sissy when it comes to cold :elkgrin:)! Good luck with your new trailer!!! Are you planning on keeping both, the M101 and the teardrop?

haven

Expedition Leader
Fiberglass travel trailers like the Casita definitely have a cult following. Even though the interior can be trashed, the exterior shell is very durable.

Remove the wheels and tongue from the frame, and you have a quick way to make an overland traveler. This example was made by Bruce Hersey.
fuso-115a.jpg

Septu

Explorer
Septu, always loved to travel to Scandinavia when I still lived in Europe, hopefully I can make it to Alaska one of these days (summertime though, I'm a kinda sissy when it comes to cold :elkgrin:)! Good luck with your new trailer!!! Are you planning on keeping both, the M101 and the teardrop?

Well it's 16c (~64F?) and sunny in Anchorage this morning. Not hot by any means, but nice. And honestly, the weather has been pretty decent over the last week. Hopefully it keeps it up as I get the TD tonight, and will be making my way towards Valdez. The plan for now, is to keep both - but we all know how that can change depending on the offer made. :)

Enjoy the road trip... can't wait to see how this one turns out.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Friday evening a little after 6PM we set sail for our 1000 mile trip to get our next Casita project. Route planning: Rome, GA – Gadsden, AL – Birmingham, AL – Meridian, MS – Baton Rouge, LA – Houston, TX – San Antonio, TX. Weather was nice, coffee mug full, iceless cooler cold and full of Gatorade, traffic was light, bugs aiming for the front and windshield of the Jeep were plentiful, short: a great day for a little road trip.
Driving through Alabama, I-59 Gadsden – B'ham Friday evening before night fell …
2 Casita 08.jpeg.jpg
… and then somewhere on I-10 in Texas on Saturday morning after dawn.
2 Casita 09.jpg
I told the seller that we will be at his location Saturday morning at 10AM, we entered the storage area after 1,014 miles and 16-ish hours of drive at 9:55, Swiss precision or plain dumb luck.
The seller was already there, had put all the bits and pieces in the trailer (lots of bits and pieces) and it was (almost ) ready to go – one tire looked a wee tiny little bit low. A tour around the Casita revealed that the seller was pretty honest regarding the condition of the camper, but when my sleep-deprived road-tired mind saw, touched and felt for the first time the extent of the project, the Dierks Bentley song came to my mind: “I know what I was feeling but what was I thinking?”
2 Casita 05.jpg
2 Casita 21.jpg
Anyhow, money was exchanged for a fiberglass hull on wheels filled with an assortment of fiberglass junk and a title, and we wobbled off to the next gas station for air.
From there we headed downtown San Antonio, parked our rig, visited the Alamo (I thought that was where Texans fought Mexicans, but apparently the Alamo is under Chinese invasion now) and treated ourselves for a good lunch at the famous Riverwalk (absolutely worth a visit).
2 Casita 15.jpg
2 Casita 13.jpg
Refreshed, we started our return trip back to Georgia. Back on I-10, a strong headwind caused the Jeep to guzzle fuel any drunken sailor would have been proud of. Our plan was to look for a hotel East of Houston, which we gladly did; our batteries were about as empty as the Jeep's tank.
2 Casita 16.jpg
Next morning, the world looked a lot better, the project Casita more manageable, the wind shifted to a favorable tail wind and off we sailed East North East.
2 Casita 18.jpg
The Casita pulled like a dream, fuel mileage dramatically improved over the previous day, hardly noticed that it was there, just over some really bad section of concrete slab interstate in Louisiana, it appeared the trailer is trying to twerk with the Jeep. Really enjoyed the drive through the bayous, which I normally always hit at night and never did not realized how pretty it is.
2 Casita 19.jpg
In Meridian MS we fueled up with the cheapest gas we found on the way at $3.09, but that Pilot gas station was definitely not secret it appeared that everybody with a motor vehicle or a gas can was there pumping gas, traffic was backed up to almost the interstate. From there last stretch through Birmingham home.
2 Casita 00.jpg
Around 10PM, 2,033 miles in 33 hours 48 minutes driving time, I parked the Casita #2 (she might have earned herself the name Miley after the twerking incident) in the garage. Now let the real fun begin!
To be continued ...

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Man, you are bad as me, currently own 2 vintage Apache trailers and next year I plan to find a Boler to fix up. Out of the fiberglass egg trailers I love the Boler, must be the rear recessed lights I like more.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
There is some progress. The walls are done, the floor is done and the benches of the dinette are back in place. Plus I scored locally a set of basically brand new Casita cushions. Far, far from done but good enough to spend a couple nights in her at the Overland Expo in Asheville.
2 Casita 31.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94