Micro adventures of the NW rockies

MT6bt

Rock hound
Although the next 50 miles are a bit of a tourist trap, I, being an admirer of historical places, couldn't resist spending a little bit of time in the area.
4ed4f7a456aa76b27f3e11866ad6f67c.jpg

Up first is what I believe to be described as a living ghost town. Most of the main street stores are closed off to the public, perfectly preserving the contents therein from over 100 years ago. If you like gold rush history as much as I do, I'd highly recommend visiting Virginia city, alder, Nevada city, and the other small townships of this area.
6028b49d959ad6e43c565f2949748e1a.jpg

26a95a3766687cc1d8ace443c5cc3b67.jpg

061d6f7e4063152159c99b13032134cd.jpg

3b870501387c073766f68074186a4020.jpg

Journeying farther towards Dillon, the road takes you through the valley floor, and you can witness the massive amount of earth that was moved attempting to strike it rich back in the gold rush says of montana. Regrettably, I didn't take any photos of the tailing piles or the massive machinery that was left after the rush ended.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

MT6bt

Rock hound
There are several interpretive placards along the road that'll give a synopsis of the area...
f1d82de42671e9ecb02f3ebd65ead38f.jpg

759dbdf2b86eb81036f2757fdda903ec.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
Hey there, I've loved your thread, so thanks for the information and photos, especially since i love dirt roads, camping, and three dogs who come everywhere with me! We'll be up in the NW from early June for three months so I'll be picking your brains nearer the time. Thanks again!

DSC00020.jpg

The Benchmark maps are on their way, (for Washington and Montana) so with your details and then from Foy on another thread, I should be good to go.

DSC00039.jpg

zb39

Adventurer
Love the pics. Are you able to add a 2nd battery or maybe shoe horn in 2 6v golf cart batts wired in series. That would give you more power to run the heater.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Hey there, I've loved your thread, so thanks for the information and photos, especially since i love dirt roads, camping, and three dogs who come everywhere with me! We'll be up in the NW from early June for three months so I'll be picking your brains nearer the time. Thanks again!

View attachment 326695

The Benchmark maps are on their way, (for Washington and Montana) so with your details and then from Foy on another thread, I should be good to go.

View attachment 326696
Btw, I'd be wary of camping or soaking in renova. There was some hillbilly who kept trying to chase me off because I had bozeman license plates.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Love the pics. Are you able to add a 2nd battery or maybe shoe horn in 2 6v golf cart batts wired in series. That would give you more power to run the heater.
One thing that I love about the alaskan is there looks like there's enough space underneath the seats to add 3 more batteries. Finances are very tight right now, so my abilities to modify the camper are quite limited!

fisher205

Explorer
One thing that I love about the alaskan is there looks like there's enough space underneath the seats to add 3 more batteries. Finances are very tight right now, so my abilities to modify the camper are quite limited!
I have my batteries tucked between the camper and the trucks bed wall. In my old Alaskan I could access them through a hatch in the camper. With the newer Alaskan I have to lift the camper to maintain them. We actually have thought about changing the dinette cushions to be like the old Alaskans to allow more storage access and be more comfortable for sleeping. I have to admit the current couch/cushions are comfortable to sit on.

MT6bt

Rock hound
I have my batteries tucked between the camper and the trucks bed wall. In my old Alaskan I could access them through a hatch in the camper. With the newer Alaskan I have to lift the camper to maintain them. We actually have thought about changing the dinette cushions to be like the old Alaskans to allow more storage access and be more comfortable for sleeping. I have to admit the current couch/cushions are comfortable to sit on.
I've been contemplating going to a flat bed recently. For that reason, I can have more storage and further insulate the bottom portion of the camper.
I've been working on remedying the condensation issue I've witnessed behind the dinette seats:
6e1842a7c82f281cbb81328234d4763e.jpg

By using several coats of urethane - acrylic waterproof paint primer, then sealing off the gap between the plywood - veneer line with some kitchen/bathroom silicone.
This is why:
101cb3e0dcceee131b0828341a707e46.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see it, but there is actually mold starting to develop from the condensation. That and the plywood structure remaining damp for long periods will eventually rot this portion of the camper! I'm hoping to get rid of this cold spot by shoving some 1" R -5 on the wall and some reflectix on top of the painted structure, tucking the reflectix several inches up the wall to allow any potential condensation to drip down onto the waterproof barrier. The biggest issue I see with this concept is forming an airtight seal between the new insulation and the existing structure; if air is allowed to get in between the two, I'll more than likely see the same issue.
So hopefully my tradesman skills will prevent this!

MT6bt

Rock hound
After several coats, I've fashioned a tub of reflectix above the plywood. I'm only using masking tape for a temporary test; I'm going to pull off the insulation and reflectix next week to check for condensation. Hopefully this solves it!
44806d3eee54e521c0cca2186c6b408b.jpg

4a0b1cfee06a416ade58e4d4d63f0c49.jpg

3aa2a768e56b1b05cb423490a10af6e9.jpg

The insulation is only visible when the dinette has been Converted to a bed.
Asthetically unappealing, easily remedied by some veneer or wainscot. That'll be the next step!
af55401b21837099d4062d13a4f4f80f.jpg

There's still plenty of space for it.

MT6bt

Rock hound
The insulation seems to have a drastic effect on how much warmer the dinette area is when the seats are in bed position. Success!
Now I can get back to the second half of my last trip.
Where was I? Ah yes, somewhere around Virginia city...
Well, after passing through there, I made my way over to Dillon. I haven't spent much time here, but I do enjoy the small town vibe I get from it. Also, there is a roach coach here (closed until February, sad!) That has some of the best tasting Mexican food I've ever had.
Shortly after, I made my way up into the pioneer mountains for a little slice of blue collar heaven: Elkhorn hot springs! I have been here three times now and enjoy it more and more every time. Although it's a little on the "rustic" side (I've heard multiple people use this euphemism for this place), it's for this very reason I enjoy it all that much more.
There's something more special about an area like this than some whitewashed, commercialized hot spring. Sure, it only has three pools, the facilities aren't top of the line, and certain parts of the pools' bottom can be slippery feeling....but you're outside, nestled 15 miles into the pioneer mountains. The folks who run it and work there are kind and have great stories to tell of the area.
Oh, and where else can you let your dogs out and come hang with you poolside? (poorly behaving dogs need not apply)
483712125d8c1a1c55073e1b84fc0919.jpg

f2346a3636b969e032de00c73b4d115b.jpg

dac1592f6710b9423bdc11de842d8023.jpg

unkamonkey

Explorer
Gotta have a pup with you.
I got a lot of that insulating materal and covered my windows, put it under my bed and had some sewn up to put on the areas where my top would run up attached by velcro. We did several nights around Moab over Thanksgiving and between the two of us, in there I don't believe the heater kicked on more than once or twice at night. Hey I am a Scotsman so it wasn't cranked up to 70. I have done many nights with it set at 47.

Foy

Explorer
The Dillon Taco Bus!

It's a shame the Dillon Taco Bus was closed! Apparently you've dined there at La Fiesta Mexicana (its official name) before. I agree with you--some of the best Mexican food I've ever had!

Love me some Elkhorn Hot Springs, too. First visit there was in July 1982 at which time the wife and I were car camping in our 1979 Scout II. We'd been alternately relaxing, napping, and fishing our tails off at Little Joe campground upriver from the village of Wise River for a few days. The Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway ended at the Mono Creek road then and only a fairly rough gravel road/two track crossed the divide over into Grasshopper Creek (with Elkhorn HS at its headwaters) back then. We stayed two nights in one of the tiny cabins and drove the Scout up to the drill pad/adit near the top of Comet Mountain during one of the afternoons. That carbeurated 304 didn't like 9,600' elevations at all! Memories!

Foy

MT6bt

Rock hound
Unka, what do you mean when you said you "had some sewn up to put on the areas where my top would run up..."? Are you saying that you put reflectix on top of the inner pirelli seal?
I'd like to see that...
Foy, thanks for the story of your experience in the area! I agree, naturally aspirated vehicles despise high altitudes! I'm glad I have my ol' cummins.

Now, back to the story....
After my first night in Elkhorn, I took a quick trip 3 miles down the road to maverick mountain. This ski hill is only open from Thursday to Sunday, so if your timing is right, you can get first tracks on a ski hill that got snowed on for up to three days!
I wasn't quite so lucky: my first turns were on friday, but the snow was still great and found some powder stashes in the tree glades.
I don't like how restricting panoramic shots can be, so here is a series of photos looking left to right:
dcf280d1addbcf3c72e4416a03abd866.jpg

9e55a4a1385784e2cc37033dcd1964cc.jpg

ad9384d55782ae1be007bd0f8f9bfebf.jpg

Fortunately for me (for once), being single has paid off. The name of this run is widow maker
After a full day at maverick, my legs were shot...I didn't remember skiing to be so difficult! I'm sure in no way does it have anything to do with my 40 lbs of excess winter fluff, compliments of late night microbrews and bags of kettle corn!
So, I retired to my quarters for some much deserved rest.
The next day I headed back into Dillon, making a quick stop at montana's first Capitol: bannack.
I'm sure this area is a bustling tourist trap in summer, but today it was completely barren.
There are interpretive pamphlets describing the various establishments in the ghost town. Some buildings, like hotel meade, look like they are still in operation. It's pretty incredible to see how well preserved towns like this are, even after over 140 (?) Years of harsh montana seasons.
62884100b227a9bc0f0b43b904780764.jpg

26186e2a018a6c771bb66f8c6626b9f7.jpg

2f43af06647ae6847f94141e156f6bde.jpg

6f5942b25cecb2f2d89cf2494f152afb.jpg

bec4590e8dce06faa3898eebd3c57141.jpg

After hitting the road, I decided to stay another night somewhere in the countryside, rather than get back to the hustle and bustle of bozeman.
Why not renova hot springs, again?
The last time I was there, the "tub" was actually devoid of water and the small creek offshooting the Jefferson river was not even flowing. Fortunately, today was different.
I parked my vehicle a few hundred yards upstream near a primitive boat landing and made my way down to the spring.
395454b50b53642a3e759e40266b083a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94