Micro adventures of the NW rockies

zzz150

Adventurer
hey nice thread! i'm currently in inuvik with my dog on a nice long ride. nice rig, getting off the beaten path is the only way to go! great pics, i've been cheaping out on mine while on the road and uploading small low quality pics for simplicity. anyway awesome!!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nice write ups! The Chico area is a lot of fun, glad you got to see it. I'm headed up to the Mission Mountains and the Swan River Valley tomorrow to stay for a few days. Love it up there!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Unfortunately my exploration has been pretty limited because I have been working much more than I would like!
However, i did manage to get into the woods a few times recently for a backpacking adventure. We encountered a Montana traffic jam en route:
rurydyte.jpg

My friend and I took an arduous, off-the-beaten path hike about 7 miles uphill to a massive mountain.
dy5anava.jpg

And managed to come across some August snow! From afar, we both had intentions of glissading. But then we got right next to it, and had second thoughts! It was easily a 50 degree pitch, was hard and unforgiving. It Just screamed "slide for life!"
So... we opted out.
butevy8u.jpg

dugy5u9e.jpg

mu9uba9e.jpg

As we meandered back to the vehicle, I spotted a pleasant suprise:
5upy6y3a.jpg

Chantarelle mushrooms! This beautiful fungi is hailed to be some of the finest in the world. Culinary artists claim these to be on par with truffles and morels. They have a sweet apricot scent, distinguishing the chantarelle from any other fungus ive ever encountered.
It was indeed a wonderful experience. I have never seen this part of the forest as green and lush as its been this year.

joeyabisa

Adventurer
Good stuff!! Looking at your two German Shepherds reminds me of mine when I was growing up. Still think of her a lot to this day. Thanks for taking us along!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Thanks wainiha and joeyabisa. Yep, Montana is quite the spectacular place. I had plans to head southwest this winter but landed a pretty sweet job up in the spanish peaks community of big sky, MT. The views are amazing and I've had the privilege of witnessing every sunrise and sunset the last couple weeks...
9388d4675517162702cf17d876a42301.jpg

f3327df673db7424e0f3ff361d46d47a.jpg

5960580308fab7185ba61c6e1ff49db5.jpg

Lone peak^ one of the best ski mountains In the US.

Some views from the house I am working on/ living in:
64db439607f272f430fb2f519dbb7096.jpg

83ba80fa0932ae6813584a7f8f86cd33.jpg

MT6bt

Rock hound
d7abe673a46e46411d56ea02669b9602.jpg

Well it has been an amazing time way up here. (~7500') Its been morning routine to make some coffee and watch as the sun rises over the southern gallatin range. I've been hearing elk bugling less than 100 yards away and a few days ago there mustve been over 6 foxes stirring up the peaceful solitude with their high pitched yips and barks.
4a1e6f2cb34a6d2d702c3e078997d5ae.jpg

The dogs have been having a good time, I believe. They get to run around for about an hour in the morning, then at lunch we head into the woods for a quick walk and play fetch. Dinner time they get to run around for another couple hours. Not too bad, I think!
397deb1677b8aec9568c7ccaa3fc0d79.jpg

Elwood has yet to fill out... He looks like a giraffe with his disproportionately long limbs and huge head. Still a puppy at heart but is bar none the most affectionate and calm dog I've ever known.
This calls for an elwood montage!
ac49de9ce422cad833ba8bcfb6ef30c2.jpg

4fe1747ee32e198ccf4e69f18a5187d2.jpg

b5e649924fbf1c0b99ebc4c18afe3015.jpg

09445192b1ad1adcd5bb6978b6835ea6.jpg

Other than that its business as usual. I landed a job with the trim crew for a well known and reputable business up here in the big sky and its been great. I enjoy the challenges presented from higher end carpentry and have the skillset required for such a task. Fortunately through luck or serendipity, this business has seen that I have these skills and am about to dive in...
The only problem is my current living situation. Fortunately it is possible for me to stay on site most of the time. However, my desire for a "home on wheels" that can provide the necessities of life-and a bit of comfort- are just beyond my reach at this time. I've been searching diligently for an alaskan camper for months now...but when one pops up every once in a blue moon, it is unfortunately beyond my monetary abilities....
1386b9ba051986910349c70150c3804d.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
Your not forgotten my friend I'm looking at one to marrow for you.

And keep up the great pictures

MT6bt

Rock hound
That's very kind of you. Theres actually one in bozeman that's an 02 8' cabover. It is a one owner and has extra insulation, diesel heater, solar, insulated windows...the works! Its not in the best condition and it kind of seems their asking price is too high; 9000. Its an older couple that owns it and don't seem to be in much of a rush to sell it...I think theyre interested in taking payments....and if so, I think Ill buy it. I could work my ******** off and have it paid for wthin 5 months I think... I preferred the 10' but beggars can't be choosers!

AK Nomad

enjoying the pics! spent my 1st 25yrs near boz. nice shot of lone peak, spent many winter days on those runs. only place better is ak! :)

java

Expedition Leader
Very nice pics and Pups! I made it to Whitefish last winter, would love to see more of MT! I have one of those awkwardly sized GSD's too.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Thanks guys. The view of lone peak is from the north (better) side. Unfortunately, moonlight basin was bought out by boyne (big sky ski area) so my stomping grounds are significantly more expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles