Micro adventures of the NW rockies

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well I decided today to do a quick trip up portal creek in the gallatin range. There is a large storm front moving in over the next couple days, and this could be one of the last trips into the woods I'll be able to do this year, so i'd best get to it!
58dcf366d40980b47647898656115eff.jpg

Here is a very large spire on the other side of the road.
This road is quite mellow most of the drive into the woods. And if you're headed down hwy 191 in between Bozeman and big sky, check it out! My intention was to find "hidden lakes," a short hike at the end of one of the many roads back there. However, with the storm closing in all around me, and not actually informing anyone of my intentions, I figured it'd be safer to abandon that hike!
f6decbf84df7e92c3eecc9a4e082dfc3.jpg

9097cffd265bf75442b962d54f241f57.jpg

9bd89046c789be68e3138068e37e54bc.jpg

Not a whole lot to see on this drive, I must admit . This drive would have been a lot more exciting if I would have trekked to Hidden Lakes.
Sorry to disappoint. Hopefully this selfie will help improve an otherwise boring update...
290f578815ff30fac07e86d25bc1c41e.jpg

Move over brad pitt, this guy's takin the spotlight!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well the snowstorm we were supposed to get ended up being not much more than a dusting...around 3-4" the cold, however, has arrived!
fc53d7917e4b88daff935ebf0d160220.jpg

I imagine it will get close to -20 tonight.
9c3a182fcbe34963ea233787e83dedea.jpg

The frozen water molecules in the air inhibit my view of lone peak and are an excellent indication that winter is very close!

I live in the Coeur d'Alene area and own an auto repair shop. I have a lot of respect for the folks that do this type of traveling/living. If that Dodge ever needs some work and you are in this area. Feel free to PM me. We need to take care of each other.

MT6bt

Rock hound
I live in the Coeur d'Alene area and own an auto repair shop. I have a lot of respect for the folks that do this type of traveling/living. If that Dodge ever needs some work and you are in this area. Feel free to PM me. We need to take care of each other.
Thank you kindly! It is a dodge though, so it always needs something done. Up next is either new tires (almost bald)or upgrading the gear box to a borgeson hd unit, the steering shaft as well. The factory gearboxes are junk in these things and when I replaced it with a rebuilt unit, it had almost 2" of play in it... also need a steering box brace from D.O.R. I have heard that they don't like to ship expeditiously, however, so I am wary...

I just had the fluids replaced in my transmission and bands adjusted a couple weeks ago and seemed to create more problems than anticipated. Now the damn thing can't decide which gear it wants to stay in while driving in mountainous terrain. .....very frustrating. I wish I had the funds for a NV4500/5600 manual swap because I despise autos... so hopefully my trans doesn't decide to crap out on me this winter otherwise ill really be up a creek!

Thank you kindly! It is a dodge though, so it always needs something done. Up next is either new tires (almost bald)or upgrading the gear box to a borgeson hd unit, the steering shaft as well. The factory gearboxes are junk in these things and when I replaced it with a rebuilt unit, it had almost 2" of play in it... also need a steering box brace from D.O.R. I have heard that they don't like to ship expeditiously, however, so I am wary...

I just had the fluids replaced in my transmission and bands adjusted a couple weeks ago and seemed to create more problems than anticipated. Now the damn thing can't decide which gear it wants to stay in while driving in mountainous terrain. .....very frustrating. I wish I had the funds for a NV4500/5600 manual swap because I despise autos... so hopefully my trans doesn't decide to crap out on me this winter otherwise ill really be up a creek!

We do a couple of those 47/48RE transmission a week. It could be as something as simple as your governor pressure solenoid. Were building one for a guy pushing 500 horsepower this weak in a 24 valve Cummins.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well this week has been a fridgid one! Temperatures dropped below -30F Wednesday morning, rising to a balmy -5 up here on the mountainside.
c79e11cdf2103354449c79eb0c5a2689.jpg

Sundogs are a good indication of chilly weather!
We've acquired about 6" of new snow...nowhere near what I was hoping for!
The dogs are having a great time. I sure am glad they have thick fur, too! They're not phased by the current temperature which is around -10 at the moment.
bb9191594ed5b44f631b1d902fa35511.jpg

MT6bt

Rock hound
It's been a great month so far, but my work up here is coming to a halt all too soon. It's sounding like there will be no more work for the next three months. So I think that means...
Road trip! Not sure where to head, but warm sounds a lot more tolerable with my meager accommodations.
Speaking of which, it's time for an upgrade. This job has a surplus of excess materials...

MT6bt

Rock hound
I am going to do several small posts because my 3g internet up here is spotty at best, and I lost a large post that took way too long pecking away on my phone.
Anyways, about the materials for upgrading:
707c0dcc8383239e0b4c668df7bd5506.jpg

A lot of knotty alder, 2x6 dimensional fir, couple decent chunks of sanded 3/4" plywood, and cedar T&G.
803d4c94c1992508a3a34f2aaa755bf7.jpg

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
I decided to make two boxes with drawers and hinged lids. The exterior will comprise of cedar t&g, glued and screwed. As much as I would enjoy dovetailing the corners...I don't see it as feasible at the moment. They're going to be covered by metal anyways.
d5a0982fc27061b38e632064ff812271.jpg

f17cc5bd564b6b44379e5163c578875d.jpg

Bottom and sides all done, now for a little clamping, and it'll be off to bed for this evening.
939f35180e1d86d0046a02abb2b1696a.jpg

Tomorrow's plans are to finish the front and start building the lid. Looking forward to create some beautiful work from specially selected pieces of knotty alder.
I'm thinking of heading down to the southwest, perhaps baja? Looking forward to the adventures ahead!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well sleep isn't happening anytime soon, so I'll dive into the minutiae of my build...
My current box will go in the front section of my pickup box. The other, more complex box will be scribed up and over the wheel well, butting the first. How they will be attached is to be determined...
This box will have a long drawer that has all my kitchen necessities.
The tops will be the platform for my awesome sleep pad:
5f7a1fc1097d002b5838785f98e4ef14.jpg

44c3102e6b0364e45d71d03e21f554e2.jpg

It's almost too big. I believe the dimensions are 78x30x4". But it is the most comfortable sleeping pad/bed I have ever slept on, has an r-value of 9.5 ish, a two year warranty, and surprisingly durable despite it's soft fabrics. I've had it for about 4 months and have had no problems so far. A great investment, indeed!

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
Well unfortunately I didn't progress much today. Too many thoughts about how to make the top more aesthetically appealing than strong and durable.
8b44609bdf325a02cac1b214eaaaea12.jpg

I bypassed the idea of mitered corners, for the KISS method:

a31cde4c462b20fe042f27da3ec33aea.jpg

The board currently sitting on top will be screwed in place, whereas the other two Will be a hinged lid, opening up towards the above picture.
Some quick work with a biscuit jointer, some biscuits, and glue...
Presto! Lid accomplished.
7bdfabf7d73ec54b3882f9a48af9039e.jpg

a5d77ae7c692c2d8cabc63d738ab987e.jpg

An
c74b7214383b2ec29747740cd041d3e2.jpg

Had a little bit of trouble keeping the 12" boards straight while clamping them together. Fortunately, there is no shortage of levels and clamps at this jobsite!

Last edited:

catmandu

Observer
Just read through your thread. Glad you are enjoying yourself in Montana. I was just out in MT in October and really enjoy it out there. I have a pal that lives in Missoula and every day I believe that is where I want to be. We currently live in SE Michigan but one day... Keep up the great posts. Best of luck on the next stage of your adventure.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Really enjoying sharing the adventure. Not to worry about pics with the truck, it gives scale. I think almost everyone takes shots of their vehicle too.
The feet were a nice distraction. Great to be traveling with your friends that don't complain and ask 'are we there yet?'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz