The Ford Eco-Trek, the 6.7 is eco friendly.

haven

Expedition Leader
SD-EcoTrek.jpg

Looks like Ford's marketing department has learned about ExPo-style vehicles. Unless you're smuggling gold bars, I'm not sure why you'd need an F350 to carry a roof rack and a bed topper.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Looks nice. I imagine the 350 has a better GVWR, and this is to try and up that models appeal to folks. I myself can not see a need(for me) for anything above a heavy duty specd 250.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Seems like a bit of hype - here is EcoTrek's website:

http://www.ecotrek.com/ecotrek-vehicles/

Excerpts from various vehicles...

- Precision Grill Made from Recycled/Recyclable Aluminum

- Energizer Battery Charger for Headlamps, Flashlights and Tools

- Recyclable Thule Roof Basket

- Recyclable Running Boards, Brush Guards, Tires and Wheels

- Water-Based Mercedes Benz Paint

- Vehicle and Engine Rated at 1,000,000 miles

Doesn't show this ford expo vehicle on their website - also I guess that truck was at SEMA 2013.

Last edited:
Looks nice. I imagine the 350 has a better GVWR, and this is to try and up that models appeal to folks. I myself can not see a need(for me) for anything above a heavy duty specd 250.

For the most part the only difference between the 250 and 350 is the higher GVWR and the rear blocks are about 1-1/2" taller. Oh yeah, and about $700. There were complaints on the 250's (at least up to the 2013s I think) about the rear sagging more than it should. Didn't seem to effect handling or anything, just the posture.

I have a 350 SB, got with plans for a Pop-up TC. Wanted to make sure I had ample GVWR headroom. Even with a pretty well equipped one, short of the gold bars, I'd still be pretty hard pressed to push over the 11,500 GVWR

libarata

Expedition Leader
Something is wrong if you have to load it up to 11k... Sure, if you hauled gravel, stone, roofing, or half a village in dead bodies you could push it, but for most of us? Eh. Does the 250 and 350 have different outside dimensions? I know little about these, since I can not afford them, let alone the gas they would need.

The 250/350 are identical dimensions. I think the 450 may be same too, although it may have a wider front track to better match up with the dually config they are usually ordered with. I would bet any 1/2 ton pick-up you see with a slide in camper is probably at or over the GVWR. I have the 6.7l diesel, while the fuel economy isn't anything to get too excited about, it's as good or better than what I see people here post for their LRs and a lot of the SUVs (~16-17 in city driving, 18-19+ Hwy, this includes mountain passes and forest service roads)

I don't know why they would have based this vehicle on a 350 other than just because they could. You can pack a lot vittles in the back there. It would have a 37.5 gal fuel tank, so it'll give decent range. It's already got the aerodynamics of a brick so all of the roof rack and tent will eat into that quite a bit I'm sure. Don't know what the B-100 diesel and or Algae diesel would do to mileage. Mine can run on B-20, the few times I have it seemed to be a little lower and caused more regenerations (the new diesels have a soot filter in the exhaust that periodically gets cleaned by increasing the exhaust temperature to burn it off. They do this by pumping raw fuel into the system - I won't get on my soap box about how much this wastes by dropping over all fuel mileage). Bio-diesel can absorb more water which is not good for the high pressure fuel pump (runs at up 30k lbs of pressure to inject fuel), any kind of moisture will not do these pumps any good, when they let go, they grenade the entire fuel system to the tune of about $20k. Pays to be watchful of fuel quality which is where most bio can be suspect. Oh, and they can't run on high sulpher fuel so no taking to Mexico or over seas with modifications

libarata

Expedition Leader
The 250/350 are identical dimensions. I think the 450 may be same too, although it may have a wider front track to better match up with the dually config they are usually ordered with. I would bet any 1/2 ton pick-up you see with a slide in camper is probably at or over the GVWR. I have the 6.7l diesel, while the fuel economy isn't anything to get too excited about, it's as good or better than what I see people here post for their LRs and a lot of the SUVs (~16-17 in city driving, 18-19+ Hwy, this includes mountain passes and forest service roads)

I don't know why they would have based this vehicle on a 350 other than just because they could. You can pack a lot vittles in the back there. It would have a 37.5 gal fuel tank, so it'll give decent range. It's already got the aerodynamics of a brick so all of the roof rack and tent will eat into that quite a bit I'm sure. Don't know what the B-100 diesel and or Algae diesel would do to mileage. Mine can run on B-20, the few times I have it seemed to be a little lower and caused more regenerations (the new diesels have a soot filter in the exhaust that periodically gets cleaned by increasing the exhaust temperature to burn it off. They do this by pumping raw fuel into the system - I won't get on my soap box about how much this wastes by dropping over all fuel mileage). Bio-diesel can absorb more water which is not good for the high pressure fuel pump (runs at up 30k lbs of pressure to inject fuel), any kind of moisture will not do these pumps any good, when they let go, they grenade the entire fuel system to the tune of about $20k. Pays to be watchful of fuel quality which is where most bio can be suspect. Oh, and they can't run on high sulpher fuel so no taking to Mexico or over seas with modifications

Beautifully informative. Thank you. I have long been suspect of the dimensions of the 250 and 350 being the same, but never cared enough to take a tape to it, or google. I am, without googling it, calling that filter, and burnoff phase idiotic! People are afraid of a wee bit of soot to a strange degree these days.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Beautifully informative. Thank you. I have long been suspect of the dimensions of the 250 and 350 being the same, but never cared enough to take a tape to it, or google. I am, without googling it, calling that filter, and burnoff phase idiotic! People are afraid of a wee bit of soot to a strange degree these days.

I don't think a small degree of soot scares a home it is these idiots with there flat brim hats who smoke out everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles