Need a little insight on trailer axles, wheels and adapters.

Sharpie

Observer
I'm currently building my expedition trailer and am stuck on the issue with the axle, hub, drum, adapter and wheel. I am building an independent trailing arm setup with bags. I am going to purchase the #3500 spindle, hub and drum without the axle tube and plan on building the seperate tube sections myself. I am getting all of these from Southwest Wheel here in town. I am going to be running 2014 rubicon wheels and 30" tires. My questions are as follows:
- When it comes to mating a rubi wheel to a trailer hub what is the issue?
- I know alot of you guys run adapters but what for and how much farther do they make your wheels stick out from the hub?
- I have heard of hub centric and some other centric issues that you run into when doing this but how do you fix that issue or what can you do
instead?
- Is there another way of running rubi wheels with a trailer hub that does not require a $110 adapter/spacer?
- Am I doing something wrong or thinking into this too much?

I have looked at a lot of builds here but this issue just gets me. Sorry if this has been asked a lot but I have not been able to find anything on it. I would appreciate it if you guys running rubi wheels 5x5 on trailer hubs 5x5 could chime in. I need help and anything is useful, thanks. sharpie

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Whatever the wheel bolt pattern is, simply order your hubs accordingly. You should not need spacers.

I'm not sure if your wheels use acorn nuts, but if they do, you can use them in a nut-centric arrangement.

SamM

Adventurer
Do you plan to use electric brakes? If so, the trailer hubs will not work with the Rubicon wheels. The reason being is because the hub bearing area is larger than the wheel center. You will need adapters. Try Adaptit.com. eTrailer.com also has what you need at very good prices.

SamM

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

RMFD1548

I found some 2" adapters on ebay for $63.00 that worked on my Dexter axle with ez lube option.
Here is the description from my order confirmation email: 2 WHEEL SPACERS ADAPTERS 5x5 to 5x5 | 2" THICK | 5x127 to 5x127 - JEEP 1/2" STUD
( item: 271466020746 )

Seller was: Lugnutguys

I looked around a lot for other options, but with the size of the Rubicon rim and the hub of the axle I didn't see any other choice than to use the adapter to get out past it. Some on the forum here have trimmed the rim, but that would require a spare that was trimmed as well.

IMAG0740.jpg

Last edited:

Sharpie

Observer
Thanks guys!

I'll check out the adapters online and see what I come up with. I'm just worried that with the hub/brake/adapter and wheel, I will run out of room in my wheel well. Hopefully not. Thanks again for the help.

Sharpie

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Find a machine shop to enlarge the center hub area of the rim to match the hub, then you could use a bearing buddy, too.

SamM

Adventurer
The wheel would be compromised, if the center was machined out. Honestly, proper wheel adapters make more sense.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I keep searching for the same wheel spacers except adapting JK wheels to a 5x4.5" trailer lug pattern. I can't seem to find any that are 1.75" or 2.0" wide to allow the wheels to clear the hubs.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
The wheel would be compromised, if the center was machined out.

How do you figure? The lug holes will be controlling the strength of the bolted connection, not the hub, especially when using spacers.

Honestly, proper wheel adapters make more sense.

Using proper wheels without spacers makes the most sense. The Jeep wheels the PO intends to use are form, not function, oriented.

SamM

Adventurer
The stock Rubicon wheels have spaces machined out in between the mounting surface. Meaning there is not a lot of material in the first place. Cutting more out might not be a good idea. I'll post a picture when I get home next weekend.

I'd have to agree about proper wheels and spacers. But who makes proper wheels for a Jeep? I need some of those. :) I hate running my Jeep with spacers. Currently, none are on it.

SamM

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
The stock Rubicon wheels have spaces machined out in between the mounting surface. Meaning there is not a lot of material in the first place. Cutting more out might not be a good idea. I'll post a picture when I get home next weekend.

I'd have to agree about proper wheels and spacers. But who makes proper wheels for a Jeep? I need some of those. :) I hate running my Jeep with spacers. Currently, none are on it.

SamM

What makes the most sense is using the same wheels and tires on the Jeep and the trailer. It doesn't make much sense to swap out the Jeep's axles to match up to the trailer's hubs, so spacers/adapters that allow Jeep wheels to be used on the trailer are the most logical way to go until someone gets around to manufacturing trailer hubs that fit modern wheels.

Until then, I need to find a 1.75"-2.00" wide wheel spacer/adapter from 5x4.5 to 5x5 so I can mount OEM Jeep JK wheels on my trailer.

croix

Observer
Quite a few people have had good luck with Adapt It USA. Below is a link to their 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapter available in 1.8" and 2". A pair would run you about $115.

http://adaptitusa.com/5x450to5x500wheeladapter.aspx

I had an old pair of 1.5" Poison Spyder adapters that I had machined out. I have to gently modify (read hammer) the dust cap a bit to get the Jeep center cap to fit, but they work.

-croix

SamM

Adventurer
What makes the most sense is using the same wheels and tires on the Jeep and the trailer. It doesn't make much sense to swap out the Jeep's axles to match up to the trailer's hubs, so spacers/adapters that allow Jeep wheels to be used on the trailer are the most logical way to go until someone gets around to manufacturing trailer hubs that fit modern wheels.

Until then, I need to find a 1.75"-2.00" wide wheel spacer/adapter from 5x4.5 to 5x5 so I can mount OEM Jeep JK wheels on my trailer.

Wow, I don't know anyone that would swap Jeep axles to match a trailer.

When I ordered the brakes for my Schutt Industries trailer, I just ordered 5x5 JK pattern drum brakes. The same wheels will be used on my Jeep and trailer. Making only one spare necessary. The brakes are made by Dexter. I am no fan of drum brakes but from what I understand the electric drums react much quicker than hydraulic actuated disc brakes. Both are available but the drums seem like the better option. I decided not to use manual brake levers on my trailer. Three jackets will be used to level the trailer in camp, making the brakes pointless.

I believe Synergy makes a 5x4.5 to 5x5 1.75" adapter.

Sharpie

Observer
Thanks for all the input guys. I have contacted adapt it and my spacers should be here in a week to a week and a half. The center hole on the adapter ended up being 80 mm which will fit over my trailer hub. The adapter will be lug centric as well as the rim. The adapter that I ordered is 2 inches and this will allow me to use the jeep stock wheel cap as well as the dustcover on the hub. I'm pretty sure everything will fit with just a little bit of space left over. I'll let you all know how everything comes together in about two weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz