Manual vs. Auto / Rubicon vs Sport

nwoods

Expedition Leader
California is the land of big rocks and bigger hills. Running a manual in the trail environment is very difficult. Absolutely can be done, but changes the drivers style and technique significantly and not for the better. Until we all grow a third leg, there's just no way to feness yourself through the line in a manual.

The lower gearing in the Ruby transfer case will help a lot in California's rocky hills, and lockers are like the magic "go" button in any stuck condition.

I would strongly reccommend against a Sport with Manual, as you are not getting any mechanical advantages in that set up. I would choose the auto Ruby because of the terrain and traffic.

The only two reasons for not picking a Ruby are:
1. Higher initial cost
2. Options are superfluous if you intend to "go big" and replace a lot of the drivetrain anyway

If you are staying under 38" tires, the Ruby will have what you need (though you still may want to regear the Diff's).

eternus

Observer
I am sitting on an unmodified JKU Sport currently and have gone back and forth with the two. I'm in CO so can use the oomph a Rubicon brings but the 5K+ price increase is money I can use on other mods. You can add lockers, front and rear, to your Sport for under 2k and you can get manual disconnects for the front swaybar for less than $200. That really leaves you without the D44 up front and the lower gear ratio. I don't anticipate needing that hardcore a front axle for a long time, if ever and the 3.73 in my Max Tow Sport is more than enough for the 35" tires I will put on some day. As it gets heavier with bumpers and racks then I'll revisit the gearing. I'll be adding other rails with a step in them that would have replaced the Rubicon rails anyway as well.

Personally, I would ONLY buy a Rubicon to stop my own second guessing when everyone else says you need to get a Rubicon. For my car camping, mild expeditioning and mild crawling the Sport is plenty adequate.
For Manual vs Auto, I drive in snow half of the year as a DD and riding the clutch while sitting in traffic drove me crazy in my truck. I'll never have a DD with a stick again, and automatics are crazy smart these days and can leverage fun things with the chip tuners.

basecamper

I have 2012 6spd Wrangler unlimited Rubicon. I would not hesitate to get a 6spd again unless i did a lot of stop and go traffic and/or rock crawling. SInce I work from home and do more trails and over landing the stick is perfect for me.

Regrading the Rubicon I would determine what options you want and if you can get them in the sport I would go that way and build around that. There were a couple things I wanted like leather seats (two huskies that shed) and in 2012 you had to get a Rubicon to get leather. The other was the radio and connectivity options I believe now you can get these options in a sport. I looked into aftermarket but in the end went with the Rubicon.

goofiefoot

Adventurer
I have a 2009 JKU Rubicon with the 6-speed. I specifically targeted the Rubicon, as all options appealed to me, and I wanted the manual, as it makes much better use of the 3.8 engine. I wheeled an automatic Xterra for 10 years, so I wasn't sure what to expect from the manual off-road. We just got back from Ouray, which we had driven before in the Xterra, and I was amazed with how easy the Jeep tackled obstacles that would have challenged the Xterra. Once I got the hang of which gear was best in which situation, I found myself looking for the more difficult line on the trails, and never used the lockers (although the sway bar e-disconnect was a great touch). Now, I don't really plan on taking on much more technical trails in this vehicle than what you'd find in that area, but factoring in bad weather or deteriorated trail conditions, I would be just as comfortable with this combo.

I did test drive the newer 3.6 engine models in both manual and automatic, and was very impressed with both. I like driving a manual, but wouldn't complain about the new automatic/3.6 combo.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
If you're starting with a 2007-2011 Wrangler, you will most likely be much happier with the manual transmission since the automatic in those years was geared entirely wrong for the motor's output. The 2012-present automatic transmission resolves the gearing issues, while the engine's higher peak horsepower moves the Jeep enthusiastically as long once you wind the motor up into the higher rev range. For 2012-present Jeeps, transmission choice is more a matter of preference than need.

Like the OP, I am in Northern California and I explore the mountains and deserts of the West while keeping my Jeep suitable for daily driving. I have a 2010 Rubicon with a manual transmission and I wouldn't have it any other way. I like the relatively simple, low-tech engine and its good low-end torque. Gearing is perfect for 35-inch tires. Rockcrawling is always more technical/challenging with a manual transmission, but the Rubicon's 4:1 transfer case means fancy footwork is only necessary in the trickiest of obstacles. I don't need my Jeep to be a sports car, but even when pulling my small tent trailer up mountain grades, my Jeep is the fastest vehicle in my typical convoy of friends with a wide variety of different 4x4s.

What it boils down to is this: if you're a manual-transmission kind of person you'll probably prefer a manual transmission, and if you're an automatic-transmission kind of person then you'll probably prefer an automatic. With the JK, the new motor & either transmission, and the old motor with the manual transmission are all good choices. The only "bad" choice is the old motor with the automatic transmission - that's the combination that everyone complains about because that's the dog-slow powertrain combo. For me, a Rubicon on 35's with stock gearing powered by the old motor and a manual transmission was the right choice and after a couple years of driving it all over tarnation, I'm still satisfied that I picked the right combo.

TheDave

I'm new to a 4x4, I drive an automatic Tacoma. I went to a Off Road 101 class a few weeks ago and noticed that the people driving automatics had a much easier time than the people driving manuals. One less thing to have to learn.

da10A

Adventurer
I say automatic and Rubicon.

Automatic cause the jk autos are pretty good, and it is more user friendly.

Rubicon cause whether you will use all its abilities or not, you will always wish you got a Rubicon if you don't.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
If you're starting with a 2007-2011 Wrangler, you will most likely be much happier with the manual transmission since the automatic in those years was geared entirely wrong for the motor's output. The 2012-present automatic transmission resolves the gearing issues, while the engine's higher peak horsepower moves the Jeep enthusiastically as long once you wind the motor up into the higher rev range. For 2012-present Jeeps, transmission choice is more a matter of preference than need.

This is an excellent point. If I had bought pre-2012 I most definitely would have gone manual instead of auto.

Prubah

I faced this same dilemma 2 weeks ago. Ended up with a Rubi. I had my eye on a Willy's for a few days. You may want to take a long hard look at the Willy's package. 23W. I'm in NH and my Granite Crystal 2dr 6spd Willy's was in Texas. I didn't want to pay the shipping charges and didn't/couldn't wait. I sold my ride instead of trading. I've put 3000 miles on my Rubi in less than 2 weeks. :) Yah, I love driving it. I've been mild offroading. I think for my intended purpose (expedition across America visiting all the National Parks) double locker is overkill. I do like the sway disco. I'm getting 19.5mpg mixed driving. I really don't see that changing when I go up to 35s. because of the gearing. And I'll probably be able to go 65/70 instead of setting cruise at 61.(Sweet spot for 20.5mpg hway and I love driving it so much, I'm never in any rush to get where I'm going. :) Plus the extra speed over 65 adds substantially to window matter. :) )
Now, after spending some time in the NH woods with my .Rubi 6spd. I have to agree, Auto would have been wiser. But, I keep my vehicles way past warranty and I've replaced too many of these fancy Electronic Automatics. They are big money to fix. I'd rather replace a clutch. My only reason for going with the stick. The other reason to get a Rubi over a Sport, is warranty. all that stuff you DON'T have to upgrade is under factory warranty.(just find a dealer willing to work with you).
If you're not going to do really hard wheeling or go above 35s. GET a WILLY's. (comes with Rubi suspension, 3.73s and rear locker) My $.02
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-Willys-Wheeler-WILLYS-WHEELER-EDITION-NICE-/261539482969?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ce4f7cd59&item=261539482969&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

My son is in JROTC and I wish I had enough F.U. money to get him this for his birthday. Someone did a great job.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-Sport-Sport-Utility-2-Door-2014-Jeep-Wrangler-Sport-2-Door-Custom-Willys-Military-Jeep-/151361575735?forcerrptr=true&hash=item233dda5b37&item=151361575735&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Last edited:

goin camping

Explorer
So Cal desert wanderer here.

I have manual jeeps but just bought a JKU Sahara with auto, 3.73s, limited slip and KMs on stock rims. It gets me through sand, dirt and rocks. Keep in mind I am not a rock crawler so I am not going up all the famous rock runs around here.

I prefer the LSD over lockers. Ease of use as I encounter quickly changing terrain on a long drive across the desert.

It got me everywhere I have wanted to go.

Good luck.

nate914s

The other reason to get a Rubi over a Sport, is warranty. all that stuff you DON'T have to upgrade is under factory warranty.(just find a dealer willing to work with you).
If you're not going to do really hard wheeling or go above 35s. GET a WILLY's. (comes with Rubi suspension, 3.73s and rear locker) My $.02
[/URL]

I looked at the Willys I like it a lot a good compromise betweent the Rubicon and Sport... Still planing on going with a small 2.5 lift and 35s do you thing the gearing will be sufficient when I add modifications

Thoughts?

trust me

rubicon always unless you plann to put a locker in yourself. YOur favorite trail gets eroded badly you don't see it= locker you want to try a new area unknown= locker for years I drove 4x4 without lockers got stuck alot. with a locker its just like having the exact right tool in the box always.

auto or manual how much bumper to bumper do you drive in?

Vegastoy

Observer
IMO it really depends on the type off offroading you plan on doing. If trails like the rubicon are in your future you would benifit from getting a rubicon. And if you go with a rubicon the manual transmission won't hold you back off road due to the lower transfercase gearing. If you don't get a rubicon and plan on doing trails like the rubicon I would go auto for sure. Otherwise you will be slipping the clutch and replacing them much sooner...

Hopefully that makes sense.

da10A

Adventurer
If you want to keep the power and not do things halfway, you need 4.56 with the 3.6 to effectively run 35s. With 33 inch tires, 3.73 is hardly sufficient. Anyone saying otherwise either forgot the power he had, or is trying to convince himself. I drive a 10A rubi with 285/70-17 Duratracs, and with the falshcal corrected tranny shift points, it is just right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke