Manual vs. Auto / Rubicon vs Sport

nate914s

Looking to buy my First Jeep. As my Wife say's it my Boyhood dream (probably wouldnt let me buy one if I hadn't been talking about since we started dating 7yrs ago :)

I'm back on forth on a few items before I make my big purchase and thought some input would help.

Main two questions
1) Manuel vs Auto - The dilemma is I miss the feel of driving a real car (used to race on the track) but enjoy the ease of an auto (been driving automatic Nissan Xterra and Toyota tundra for years now)
What are your opinions?
Is there a major advantage of having a Manuel on the trail/open terrain?
In the long run would buying an Automatic be disappointing, like driving an automatic at the track?

2) Rubicon vs Sport - the dilemma
Do I pony up the extra cash for the rubicon?
Are the additional suspension features and lockers something I will use? Or will the sport bring sufficient off roading capabilities?

Thanks for your responses in advance! Just want to get it right with no regrets :)

MR.Ty

Observer
The manual for a JKU get you about ten extra hp and torque. Other than that it is up to you regarding choice. As for you second question. Do you feel as though you'll drive on trails that require a locker? What do you think is off roading? Ill give you an example... if you want to do the rubicon trail, I've been told that 35s and lockers are a good idea. I suggest you answer these questions to help you choose the better jeep.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Oh man, you just opened two cans of worms with one post.

Really, only you can figure out the answers to your questions, but I'll give my personal opinion/experience.

I have a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited, auto. I only miss the stick shift on the street, and only when I'm not in traffic. Overall, especially when off roading, I'm very happy I got the auto. Your mileage may vary. This is very much a personal taste thing.

Rubicon vs Sport: What kind of off roading do you realistically plan to do? If you're just planning on doing some mild trails and fire roads, keeping the Jeep fairly stock, I'd say go for the sport. If you plan on running some harder trails, where you will use your skid plates, occasionally get stuck, etc, I would highly recommend the Rubicon. I have been in many a situation where a sport wouldn't have made it. Thank god for those lockers, or I would have been screwed. If you only plan on going up to 35s, I think the Rubicon is a perfect starting point. Lockers, 35s, good axles, electronic sway bar disconnect, and a better available gear ratio. Auto + 4.10s + 35s = (Debatable) no need for re-gear when you toss those 35s on.

On the opposite end, if you want 40s, new axles, etc... you definitely want a sport, as you'll replace all the Rubicon's benefits anyway.

BigTom73

Like the last guy said you have to decide how far you're going to take this off road. If you plan on surpassing 35's you'll wind up wanting stronger axles not that a rubi axle can't handle 37's if you're not punishing the jeep too much. If you're going through deep puddles there you can't shift a manual while it's under water. I suggest going to a forum more geared to just jeeps for more opinions but first decide how far you think you'll go then add a bit for the mod bug.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
I have a 6-speed Rubicon now, I'd get an auto next time. Although you have more control with the manual, the auto allows you to get the revs up faster off road for obstacles that need a bit of momentum.

As for Rubi vs, sport - it depends. I have the Rubi because I wanted lockers and the lower crawl ratio to insure I'd have maximum traction no matter where I found myself. I use them often. No regrets on that choice.

nate914s

Oh man, you just opened two cans of worms with one post.

I have a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited, auto. I only miss the stick shift on the street, and only when I'm not in traffic. Overall, especially when off roading, I'm very happy I got the auto.

Rubicon vs Sport: What kind of off roading do you realistically plan to do? If you plan on running some harder trails, where you will use your skid plates, occasionally get stuck, etc, I would highly recommend the Rubicon. If you only plan on going up to 35s, I think the Rubicon is a perfect starting point.

Thanks of input, why do you prefer auto "especially when off-roading" can you explain benefits you've seen?

As far as the trails I plan on going on...good question I don't particularly want to make this jeep a one trick pony (rock Crawler) But I do live in northern CA so the rubicon, fordyce and Sierra mountain trails are right down my ally. However I would like to do some long trail runs like the lost coast in CA and some Desert runs in SoCal maybe a fe in Nevada and Utah and Idaho(I have family in those states).

Ultimately I want a multipurpose rig that will be fun to drive anywhere. 35s and a 2" lift I think would be ideal down the road.

Hope that sum thigs up

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
The auto is better in mud, snow, hill climbs and rocks. It all has to do with not having to run a clutch and losing momentum while shifting. The stick is nice for descending hills and driving on windy back roads. I have an old jeep with a stick, but my new one has an auto for the reasons I mentioned. The 2012 plus auto does have a "quirk" when operated in steep country. It doesn't like to shift into a different direction after a climb.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I went with the 2013 Sport with auto. I'm tired of driving a stick and would only buy one in a sports car. I also went with the Sport vs Rubicon because I knew I would replace a lot of it and the huge price difference wasn't worth it to me. I have 3.73 and they are more than adequate with 35's. I'm bumping up to 37's on my D30 with gussets only. If they fail, I know the upgrade will be better than anything stock in a Rubicon.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
The auto is better in mud, snow, hill climbs and rocks. It all has to do with not having to run a clutch and losing momentum while shifting. The stick is nice for descending hills and driving on windy back roads. I have an old jeep with a stick, but my new one has an auto for the reasons I mentioned. The 2012 plus auto does have a "quirk" when operated in steep country. It doesn't like to shift into a different direction after a climb.

This is basically my experience as well, auto wise.

But nate, with what you're saying, it really sounds like you'd be better off with a Rubicon. I have a similar build plan, and it was the entire reason I went Rubi.

nate914s

All this information is great... I was really leaning to a Manuel but appreciate the different view points on autos. I can see having auto as being one less thing you have to deal with difficult terrain. Auto is starting to sound easier :)

Very interesting...this is helping me to take all perspectives into account

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
... 35s and a 2" lift I think would be ideal down the road.

Hope that sum thigs up
I have a 2014 Unlimited Sport S with 3.73s, manual, 33s, LSD. It does what I want but 33s are as big as I'd want to go with 3.73 gearing. I wish I had 4.10.
I couldn't conceive of trying to run 35s on these gears.

Autotrans is easier offroad. My previous JK had an auto. I loved that Jeep but love this one more.
If you enjoy a manual, get a manual. I'm very happy I did. Offroad you'll be in 4-low more often with a manual; it's just easier on you and the clutch. And on the street you'll just have more fun.

I personally don't think the Rubicon is worth the extra cheese. It's nice to have the easy buttons and all but I don't need all that around here. I'm just going car camping...

Idahoan

Adventurer
I'm on my 3rd Rubicon a 2013 unlimited 2.5" lift 34" tires. I also went with an automatic because they are better on slick surfaces. For where I go the Rubicon is perfect. I use the sway bar disconnect and rear locker often.

If I were going to buy a 07 to 11 wrangler, I'd get a stick. The 3.8 is a bit of a dog.

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
I have wheeled the snot out of my 2011 Sport with auto & never wished for anything more. Sure lockers and electric discos are nice but a winch & a bit of savvy will usually get you through. As others have stated it all really depends on the type of off roading you plan on.

Good luck with a tuff decision.

gregaf3

Observer
The newer 5 speed auto is so much better than the previous (07-11) 4 speed auto. I had a 2011 Rubicon unlimited and I currently have a 2013 Rubicon unlimited. The additional power from the 3.6 is very nice, but the new trans is the icing on the cake. I have found on the hilly roads if you just let off the gas a little bit the trans will upshift. I think it has something to do with the programming and keeping the load in the optimum power curve while under that much load. You can also always bump it over the manual and bump it up a gear.

As far as the Rubicon vs Sport. Everyone has pretty much covered everything. I was only going to add if you get in a lot of mud the 4:1 transfer case might be a little too low, but seeing that you live out west it would not be too much of an issue. If you have not driven a newer Jeep offroad, you will be surprised where a Sport can get. The BLD does a real good job in certain situations and it will get you further than a standard open diff, but sometimes you just need lockers. When I lived out in Vegas I was out exploring almost every weekend and never had any issues getting where I wanted to go in a stock Rubicon. I have since added a winch and some other heavy stuff, so I went with a Teraflex coil leveling kit.

If you are buying new, look into getting a Tread Lightly membership, it will get you the Jeep 1% under invoice with no haggling. That should help you save some money, because you will end up spending some later. Just remember what Jeep stands for, Just Empty Every Pocket.

cheers

Justincredible

Adventurer
I agree with GetOutThere.
On the street (especially driving to a trail) or on decently maintained dirt roads I miss having a manual every time.
Once I run into rocks, mud, or other technical stuff, I'm glad I have the auto.

If I were to do it over I'd go manual.

As for the Rubicon vs. Sport...
I got my '12 Sport used and got a killer deal, so I have never regretted my decision, but since my mods are mild (33" tires and armor) the Rubicon would have been perfect for me because I will probably never exceed its abilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94