Manual vs. Auto / Rubicon vs Sport

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
auto or manual how much bumper to bumper do you drive in?

This argument always surprises me because I don't even think about the shifter & clutch when I'm driving. It's 100% muscle memory. Do you have to think about using the brake? Or the steering wheel? Or the mirrors? No - it's all second nature to anyone who's used to driving their vehicle.

But as I said earlier, the "right" transmission for you is ultimately up to a matter of personal preference.

da10A

Adventurer
I too never actually noticed shifting when I had a stick.... Until I hurt my ankle!!!! Or needed my wife to drive after one too many beers!!!! All in all, on 2012 +, the auto is the better tranny.

SamM

Adventurer
My new Jeep is a JK Sahara MOAB with the automatic transmission. This Jeep is primarily a daily driver and an Overland vehicle. My plan is to use it to tow my Schutt trailer. Since it's a 2-door, everything will go into the trailer. Only basic safety and recovery gear goes in the Jeep. All other systems will be in the trailer. The Lifetime warranty keeps me from making any crazy modifications to the Jeep. I tend to get carried away with mods. At least, I did in the past. I recently added the dark charcoal/silver Rubicon wheels and BFG DT tires. After selling the stock black wheels, I have about $500 in the new wheels and tires. Sweet deal! My Jeep came with the AEV bumpers, skid plate, rock rails and hood. I've added the rear water tanks and AEV snorkel. The snorkel gave me a surprisingly nice bump in fuel economy. With 300hp now, the engine feels great and I love it. Much better than my old 2.5L TJ. It's worlds better. At a recent Overland event my Sahara did as well as the Rubicon Jeeps that I was behind. The auto transmission lets you get away with much more. The Rubis are very nice but I really like the way that I went. After adding a Zeon winch, I can't imagine much stopping me. If so, I'll just turn around. I don't need to be there. Future addition will be Rubicon springs, new shocks and a Gobi roof rack.

As always, YMMV! I think we all have plans for our Jeeps and what we want to do with them. Those plans are varied and very specific to each individual. That's what is so great about the Jeep brand. The Wrangler can be ordered, however you want it.

SamM

EDIT: Almost forgot. I destroyed my left knee in the motorcycle accident last year or I would have never thought about the auto. Now, I would never go back. The Lifetime warranty means that whatever happens, it's Chrysler's problem, not mine!

KaiserJeep

I have a 2003 TJ Rubicon, from the very first year. Jeep #9, and I still own #5 (1967 Jeepster Commando) and #8 (2001 WJ, the wife's ride).

1) Either the Rubicon or the Sport will get you around town the same, and tow a trailer the same. The Rubicon is optimized for rocky Western trails with 4:1 low range and lockers. If rock crawling does not interest you, then get the Sport. While Rubicon models cost more, they also retain more value used, it's a wash in the end.

2) As long as you have two working legs and a skill with gears, it is still true that a manual transmission is the ultimate tool off-road, by providing manual traction control. However, you have to have skill to master it and most Jeep drivers never reach that level of driving skill. If you have enjoyed success with a manual transmission in road racing, you may consider investing the time to learn about driving offroad with a manual. The types of terrain where it matters most are loose snow, mud, and dead sand.

Prubah

An update to my point on the Willy's. I was lead to believe the Willy's rear locker was just that. But I see conflicting stories that it is a LSD. Also, I just towed my 15'6 aluminum boat all over Maine. Moosehead and Rangeley lakes. I averaged 18.5mpg with boat in tow. I have to change my original assessment. Go Rubicon. I know I'll still be ok with 35s/4.10/towing. More shifting on hills, but still ok.

profilepic103623_1.gif

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Looking to buy my First Jeep. As my Wife say's it my Boyhood dream (probably wouldnt let me buy one if I hadn't been talking about since we started dating 7yrs ago :)

I'm back on forth on a few items before I make my big purchase and thought some input would help.

Main two questions
1) Manuel vs Auto - The dilemma is I miss the feel of driving a real car (used to race on the track) but enjoy the ease of an auto (been driving automatic Nissan Xterra and Toyota tundra for years now)
What are your opinions?
Is there a major advantage of having a Manuel on the trail/open terrain?
In the long run would buying an Automatic be disappointing, like driving an automatic at the track?

2) Rubicon vs Sport - the dilemma
Do I pony up the extra cash for the rubicon?
Are the additional suspension features and lockers something I will use? Or will the sport bring sufficient off roading capabilities?

Thanks for your responses in advance! Just want to get it right with no regrets :)

This is my 2nd JKU. First one was a standard... and loved it. However in snow/mud (which unfortunately is most of our wheeling up here) it was hard to get the wheel spin to go back slightly without killing my clutch. The standard tranny is also an open one, that can suck in mud/water resulting in the need for a new clutch. For those reasons, I went with the auto on the 2nd JKU (2012). I certainly do miss the sensation of "driving" it - when on the road with no traffic... but overall I'm happy with the auto - especially in traffic and on the trail (and the trail was the main consideration as to why I choose the auto).

Rubicon/Sport. If you're asking this question, I'd say the Sport should be fine (although if you're thinking of getting bigger tires, try to get one with the 3.73 gears vs the 3.21 gears). My first was the X (sport). Based on where I wanted to go with my build, I ordered the Rubi the 2nd time around. Most of the time I don't come close to using it to it's full potential... but the e-disco's and the lockers have come in handy many times. I don't regret it... but it certainly added to the price tag.

In my 07 JKU with a winch, cheap 2.5" budget boost (just spacers) and some 33" tires... I had no issues following the Rubicons on 35s for most of the stuff I did. The few times I got stuck were usually a clearance issue (and 35s/lockers likely wouldn't have solved that issue) or driver error. That hasn't really changed with my 2012 (still rocking 33s due to the deal I got on them). However I haven't really wheeled it since I finally put my 3.5" lift on it.

Phoenix

Adventurer
Stick vs Auto. Auto, father of 3, impossible to drive a stick, drink coffee, and hit my kids in the back seat if I need one hand to change gears.

Sport vs Rubi. I had a Sahara, ended up installing most of the mods that come with a Rubi. That Jeep died, tragic, fiery story. Now have a Rubicon on 35s, couldn't be happier. If you get into rocks, and it sounds like some of the trails you may come across include those, it's the 4:1 transfer case that makes a huge difference.

All in all, do what you want. But if you lean toward the "I need it because I might need it" philosophy, buy the Rubi.

ShortBusGeek

Adventurer
I've got a 2014 Sport with the 6 speed manual. There are times where I absolutely love having the 6 speed, and there are times where I would much rather have the auto (Atlanta traffic). So far, I haven't had much time to take the Jeep off pavement anywhere fun. I did go check out one trail, but turned around because I was alone and didn't have the winch installed yet. (It's actually sitting on my dining room table right now waiting on a couple of winch spacers from the bumper manufacturer to get here so I can install it.) Overall, I absolutely love the Jeep and intend to keep it for quite a while. The only way I can see myself trading it is if a diesel option comes out, which I'm hoping will include much better fuel economy as well. In the case that happens, depending on what my income situation looks like at the time, I could see myself trading this one in for another JKU in the Rubicon flavor with the automatic transmission / diesel engine. I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if that happens in the next couple of years so that the bumper and rock rails I bought will simply transfer over to the new one. I guess only time will tell what Jeep decides to do though, right? :)

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I have a Rubicon automatic. I bought the Rubi because I no longer have the time, space or inclination to do complex mods. Plus I like the fact that all of the Rubicon parts were designed to work together and I appreciate the engineering that went into it. If I break anything on a trail someplace, I can go to a Jeep dealership and get a replacement. The Rubicon is plenty stout for anything I will do with it, so I'm good to go right out of the box. I will make a few mods over the years, but they will be improvements on a very capable vehicle. I got the auto because my wife said so.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior