Educate me: 100 vs 200 series to replace my jeeps

rlynch356

Defyota
I"m loving our 200 series, and well as the JKU that I got recently.
frankly the 200 is a keeper, comfortable, quick for a mega Lb truck, and better in every way that our old 100 series (which loved and along with a few 80's and a 62) drove over 120k in each one without issues.

My 200 will stay stock except for tire for the next few years with no regrets since in reality it doesn't need much (Maybe sliders if off road) and once it moves to me as a DD i'll maybe take it a bit further.

the JKU is cheaper in all ways to take off road, if space is an issue - just buy an off road trailer and punt all the camping cargo (except maybe a second fridge) to the trailer. My goal is to arrive with the truck basically empty so i can take either one.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
OP: towing spec is fine for both 100 and 200 but please describe your goals for "off roading"

4x4tripping

Adventurer
I point too to the Land Cruiser 200. More comfort, safer, excellent noice canceling. A car with them you can eat 1000km without to be tired.

He is very capable at stock configuration.

Did carry us without hassle through africa, will hopefully do the same on our coming panamericana.

4x4tripping

zimm

Expedition Leader
put the 35's on a 100, and youll do as well as everything mentioned. it'll run you 2500 bucks in suspension mods at the top end or 800 at the bottom. if you want that level of smooooth a 100 or 200 brings, but youre not taking bypasses and are "recoil sensitive" to potential mishaps, id do the 100.

the 200 doesnt bring anything more to the table in ultimate capability, and the 100 is as luxurious as i need.

theres a line where something turns from tank into a fat bloated pig. the location of that line is a bit nebulous, but driving them all, id say the 200 feels over it. go from a 55 to a 60, a 60 to an 80, an 80 to a 100, a 100 to a 200, and at each step, you notice the improvements or the detriments, but nothing seems dramatic. jump models however, then you notice big time. the only step i havent taken is the 200, and im not gonna. its just too damn portly feeling.

now, a modded up jeep on 37's will kick your ***, but, were talking overlanding. i really dont see it as the competition.

the nice thing is, when you own one for 180,000 miles, and you get to feel absolutely confident in its durability, while at the same time you really dont care about a crinkle or two, then you really start to see how much it can do.

zimm

Expedition Leader
put the 35's on a 100, and youll do as well as everything mentioned. it'll run you 2500 bucks in suspension mods at the top end or 800 at the bottom. if you want that level of smooooth a 100 or 200 brings, but youre not taking bypasses and arnt "recoil sensitive" to potential mishaps, id do the 100.

the 200 doesnt bring anything more to the table in ultimate capability, and the 100 is as luxurious as i need.

theres a line where something turns from tank into a fat bloated pig. the location of that line is a bit nebulous, but driving them all, id say the 200 feels over it. go from a 55 to a 60, a 60 to an 80, an 80 to a 100, a 100 to a 200, and at each step, you notice the improvements or the detriments, but nothing seems dramatic. jump models however, then you notice big time. the only step i havent taken is the 200, and im not gonna. its just too damn portly feeling.

now, a modded up jeep on 37's will kick your ***, but, were talking overlanding. i really dont see it as the competition.

the nice thing is, when you own one for 180,000 miles, and you get to feel absolutely confident in its durability, while at the same time you really dont care about a crinkle or two, then you really start to see how much it can do.

MTSN

Explorer
put the 35's on a 100, and youll do as well as everything mentioned. it'll run you 2500 bucks in suspension mods at the top end or 800 at the bottom. if you want that level of smooooth a 100 or 200 brings, but youre not taking bypasses and arnt "recoil sensitive" to potential mishaps, id do the 100.

I think most would agree that 35s on a 100 cost A LOT more than $800 on the low end. Definitely don't want to start a thread about it here since it's well documented, but it is not simple to slap 35s on a 100 and have it be functional without a significant amount of work and money. Otherwise I would have done it by now ;)

CYK

Adventurer
put the 35's on a 100, and youll do as well as everything mentioned. it'll run you 2500 bucks in suspension mods at the top end or 800 at the bottom. if you want that level of smooooth a 100 or 200 brings, but youre not taking bypasses and are "recoil sensitive" to potential mishaps, id do the 100.

No disrespect and I could be totally off base but you sound like someone who hasn't spent much time in a 200. You're more than welcome to check mine out if you're in SoCal. It's the furthest thing from portly and I just came from a 510hp Range Rover sport.

In fact, I prefer to refer to it as a feeling of solidity. It's tough to understand until you drive something else and then your mind is blown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cabinetman

Just wondering

Can You sleep in a stock LC 200 with the second seat folded, is it long enough for 2 people, without any modification

I don't think so. I measured 64" from the folded second row to the closed tailgate on my 200. With the third row removed you might be able to make it work if you don't stretch out all the way. I'm 6'2" and I would have to take out the second row to make it work.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
There's enough room to sleep if you have drawers or a sleeping platform to make the floor level. Like the 100 and 80, The second row doesn't fold flat.

The 200 is a tad bigger than the 100. But not enough to make much of a difference. If the trail is that tight, you'd be nervous in either.

The 200 does have some important improvements. Mainly the engine, transmission and front suspension. The 100's shortfall is the front end. It only has about 8" of travel. When you lift it, you end up with only 2.5" of down travel so you're lifting your front wheel all the time. This is especially bad because the the front diff is weak. 35s exacerbate these problems as well as wear down the steering rack. The 200's coil over system is an improvement. And since it shares parts with the Tundra, there were a lot more control arm kits for the 200 than 100. Running 35s on a 100 is expensive. You need wheel spacers ($100), a body lift ($200), a suspension lift ($800), a diff drop ($200), and really you need an ARB/TJM front diff ($1500) and regearing if it's a 98-02 ($1000), and probably a rear bumper to hold the 35" spare tire ($1500).

The 100 is slow. It's not the slowest land cruiser. But add 1000lbs of mods and 3-4" taller tires and you're struggling to get up mountains. The 4 speed transmission makes that even worse. The 200 makes over 100hp more and gets better mpg and can tow significantly more. The 100's 5000lb tow rating is not a lot for a vehicle of its size.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Part of it is the power delivery. It's a slow build at low RPM like a Rolls Royce. My wife's Elantra felt fast (It's not) compared to the 100. And my JK feels like a sports car by comparison. ha

MTSN

Explorer
Part of it is the power delivery. It's a slow build at low RPM like a Rolls Royce. My wife's Elantra felt fast (It's not) compared to the 100. And my JK feels like a sports car by comparison. ha

My girlfriend swears her 2012 Honda Civic is faster than my 98 100, so we did the logical thing and raced them. A few times. The Honda is easily quicker to 25-30mph, then the 100 is faster beyond that to about 70mph where we shut it down. According to the specs, the 1998 100 specifically is about 1.5 seconds faster to 60 than her car. I did a recent analysis of 0-60 times for the 100 series (stupid ih8mud debate) and found the 98 was the quickest to 60 (8.6 seconds) until the 06 (7.9 seconds), and the ones in between were slower. I think one of the reasons the 100 feels slow is how quiet and smooth it is under acceleration and the somewhat wide gearing in the 4 speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne