Educate me: 100 vs 200 series to replace my jeeps

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Christo, I will answer, but I'm not going to be dragged into one of your famous IH8MUD e-debates.

Didn't want to debate, just curious since we do not see those early failures here. Obviously we don't have the same conditions are you have.

On all 3 CR based trucks various chassis parts required replacement prematurely (in <15,000 kilometers) including: control arm bushing, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, and brake pads (which seems to come from a very enthusiastic traction control system). I've experience first hand clunking control arm bushing and loose wheel bearings; after me saying to my buddy &#8220;no that couldn't be, the truck is near brand new&#8221;&#8230; (the later being discovered while searching for the former). Granted all repairs were w/in warrantee but all 3 owners live >200 kilometers from San Jose Toyota which is a hardship. My buddy Pieter, from SA, said "if wanted to waste two days a month going to San Jose I would have bought a Defender"

So on the wheel bearings, are the bearing worn out when you pull them since it is a non service bearing? I assume these are the fronts? And the bushings, front / rear?

Also, do you know if these are 200 specific, or do you guys see the across the board on other Toyota IFS vehicles used in the same conditions?

This from an earlier post

The UZJ100 was Toyotas contestant to gain US luxury SUV market share, and that it did; at least 1990s models came with lockers. I think the UZJ100 is a great value right now and highly reliable; front diff is its Achilles' Heel.

Do you guys not see the same issues with the 100 series bushings?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
the few misinformed that spread bad info through the forums.

TeCKis300, I'm afraid you may be in danger of this on this topic. The 5 speed is a huge improvement. The VVTI isn't as big of a deal as it seems on paper. At 275hp, with only about 80% of that going to the wheels, it only has 15hp more than a 98-02 with DT headers. And it weighs about 450lbs more (airbags, etc).

Any way you slice it, the 100 was never a fast truck. And it's 0-60 time goes down dramatically as you start adding bigger tires and bolting on mods. Sure, you could turbo charge it, but at $7500, you're in 200 pricing territory and ruining the reliability of this legendary motor. This isn't an insult to anyone's 100, it's just the way it is.

It's been proven time and time again by those who wheel 100s seriously that the front diff is undersized for the weight of a modified truck on all years. The 2-pinion can break in a slipper parking lot or never at all. I've seen 4 pinions brake on less than extreme situations also. In fact the last one blew on a ledge that a 2 pinion diff-ed 100 made it up. There was no warning. Just a sudden pop. We put him in 2WD and then the U-joint on the rear driveshaft shattered. As Slee and many others have recommended, if you wheel a 100, get a front locker.

As I mentioned, the 5-speed will let you get away with 35s without hating life. But it's still a good idea to regear for even 33s. It tows better, makes it up mountains better, fuel economy is usually better because you're not constantly downshifting on the highway, and it's less wear on the driveline.

Sure, you could run 35s without doing anything. But you'll start tearing fenders off and definitely need to adjust your turn stops, hurting your turning radius. The point of running 35s, in my mind, is to get farther down difficult trails. So why skimp on building a vehicle that's supposed to reliably take you to remote places. Ask iH8mud members who have been running 35s for awhile what problems they've run into. It's anything but easy peasy.

The same goes for AHC. You can use it, but why would you? Unless you're running a very light near stock rig.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
To get this thread back on track, here's the summary for the OP:

With enough work, either the 100 or 200 would fit the bill. Just buy the newest, lowest mileage truck you can afford. But keep the cost of necessary mods in mind.

wanabxtrm

Observer
-Appreciate all the input! Its been awhile since I made the original post, long enough in fact that we're expecting a 3rd child here soon. Long story short, we're keeping 2 cars, but am likely going to upsize one for the inevitable lack of space that will soon hit me.

That said, I'm looking at selling our Grand Cherokee for a Sequoia. I've narrowed my search to '10 model year mostly due to costs and was curious if anyone had any opinions on them. Seams overall people are happy with them as vehicles, but there isn't much out there beyond that. Looks like ARB makes a bumper and gobi makes a roof rack which takes care of most of my upgrade needs should I ever get that far.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
OP: Good luck with your Sequoia. There might be more info on them in the Tundra / Tacoma section if you don't get a response here.

Any way you slice it, the 100 was never a fast truck. And it's 0-60 time goes down dramatically as you start adding bigger tires and bolting on mods.

Thought I would quote the above... I love that 0-60 time comes into play on modified offroad vehicles. It's an interesting world some folks live in! (Not a dig at you Klaus, just society in general!)

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
0-60 doesn't matter. But it's indicative of other performance metric that do matter. Plus it just Makes it more fun to drive.

I looked up the time on my JKUR the the other day. It's faster than those fast SUVs from the mid2000s (RRS). But I guess I one cares now that everything is adequately fast.

r3run33

Adventurer
sorry just came into this discussion but a Land Cruiser/LX is not the same as a Sequoia; My sister has a Sequoia in florida and have gone wheeling/camping with both (I have a LX470) the Sequia is huge compared to my LX. its based on the Tundra series so you have lots of room; honestly I think you have over a foot of room in the 3rd row from side to side. Now I don't know about the newer ones but my LX is 2006 and her Sequoia is a 2005 this is comparing apples to oranges they are not the same

wanabxtrm

Observer
Is that a limited? We picked up as basic of an Sr5 as we could find. Looking at tow mirrors and a roof rack but that's about it. How's yours treated you? Any issues?

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
It's a Platnium edition. Fully loaded, it's a 2013 we found with low milage. It was the Toyota dealerships owners vehicle. Just used it then went to something new for 2015. She loves it as do I when I get the opportunity. It's very fast, at least it seems like it is lol. Very smooth ride, taking it on a 3000 mile trip soon so we will see how it does.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94