Educate me: 100 vs 200 series to replace my jeeps

wanabxtrm

Observer
I currently own a jeep 4dr Wrangler rubicon and a jeep grand Cherokee diesel and am considering downsizing to a single car. Doing so would enable me to afford a used LC. Both jeeps are 08's and I'd be looking at 07-10 LC's. I've read abit on the differences of the 07 100 series vs the 200 and the newer transmission and improved towing capacity lend me to the newer vehicle. Basically I have one jeep for great off-road, one with comfort and towing. Seams like the 200 may fit both bills, at the cost of gas, but we'd likely be more comfortable and it'll likely be more reliable in the long run. Fully loaded neither jeep has quite the room we'd like with the kids and our stuff.

If also be sad to see either jeep go: 20+mpg on the diesel is awesome. Top off doors off, who wouldn't be grinning.

Other options include suburban/Tahoe and some pickups but all are bigger than I'd like and don't seam to fit the bill as well.

Appreciate the input.

r3run33

Adventurer
I currently have a 06 LX470 and was shopping for a new 200 series because of the new crawl system which i have seen in person do amazing things very much as capable as a fully locked 100. I currently do not have a front locker. give you my $.02 worth of knowledge 06 and 07 100 series moved plants in japan so the 2006 had some reliability issues (not with basic hardware but minor problems) also toyota switched companies for the dreaded AHC parts so that also created problems. TSB have been out etc so if you get one that has had good service should be fine. My first year with my LX was horrible but from then on not one single issue. as for the 200 the new 2014 has had a updated crawl control. There are many video on youtube for its capabilities. I do lots of beach stuff/loose gravel/ and some slippery rock stuff (florida beach, new jersey, and the carolina's) Money is always an issue but some good deals can be had; honestly a brand new 200 series with good off road tires will be a very capable off roader.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
A few things to add:

Getting manual-folding third row seats out of a Hundy is a doodle; getting power-operated third row out of a Two Hundy is significantly harder. For whatever that's worth.

You might want to go--if you haven't already--to the fairly-famous Slee Hundy Newbie site

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

to see a list of the differences across model years and between Lexus and Toyota versions. You mention 2007 as the bottom year, but they are pretty rare and, as you'll see, 99.9% the same as the more plentiful '06s.

Some 100s can feel a little underpowered. Not so for the 383 hp/403 torques of the 200, which also has better fuel economy.

Both the 100 and 200 series are super trucks and will work very well as your one-car daily driver. You're welcome to buy the newest one possible, but the differences across Hundy years isn't too great and there's money to be saved with slightly older trucks. Do not automatically toss out trucks with 100K miles or more; these vehicles both have legendary reliability.

BTW, as noted above, there's also much good to say about the more conveniently-sized and considerably cheaper GX470. Basically, if you buy diligently, any of these trucks will make you a happy owner.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy

Wrangler 4 door have Cargo Capacity - Behind Second-Row Seat 31.5 ft3

2014 Landcruiser have Cargo Capacity - Behind Second-Row Seat 43.0 ft3

Under the Wrangler 4 door second Row seat You might have 5 ft3 ??? I dont know if You have any space under the second Row seat in a 2014 landcruiser?

Anyway, there are more space in a Landcruiser but not very much according to specs if they are true.

I installed a Front Runner interior rack that makes it easier to pack stuff on it to the ceiling

155855307.jpg

I also got newer camping gear that takes less space and weight.

New to the left, madrasses, sleeping bag, chair, old stuff to the right in same order.

150729029.jpg

A Trasharoo bag may take 2.5 cubic inch of stuff

143437819.jpg

If You have kids in the back, You can have a raingler net or similar at the ceiling for stuff

143063189.jpg

mph

Expedition Leader
Have owned both. U and your family enjoy a 100 series or LOVE a 200 series. Jeeps r great but a weekend camping trip overwhelms it....

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I made the opposite move. So my old thread may interest you. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-to-Jeep-Rubicon-Unlimited-Capability-Comfort

I've owned two 100-Series. One w/80k and moderately built up.

photo%2B2

The other one was purchased with 168k and I fully built it up.

DSC_1654.jpg

I know own a 2014 JKUR.

IMG_7893.JPG

And have wheeled with many other 100s, a few built 200s and a few JKs. So I'm semi qualified to speak on this.

What others have said is correct. The Jeep is better for technical terrain and more fun. The Land Cruisers are slow, luxury land yachts by comparison. But they're also tanks. You get an urge to preserve them. This can be a good or bad thing. I like how seemingly disposable the Jeeps are. If you destroy a fender, you can find another on craigslist for next to nothing.

Obviously, it's a lot cheaper and easier to modify a Jeep. The 100-Series has about 5 manufacturers of anything you're looking for and they're all expensive. The 200-Series has even less support.

All three vehicles can get pretty far down the trail even in stock form. But they have opposite issues. The Land Cruisers are too big and heavy. So you're constantly doing mods to get better angles. But on the bright side, you don't have to worry about durability. The axles and driveline are super tough, even with larger than factory tires. I'd recommend ARB or TJM lockers for either Land Cruiser. It's great insurance for the 100's weak front diff. And contrary to what r3run33 said, terrain response is not magic. Some things just require real lockers. Or at least they make it a lot less dramatic.

The Jeep is better for technical terrain out of the box. But you're constantly downsizing and modifying to fit everything and everyone.

(The JKU plus a trailer seems like a good option...)

Of the 3, I'd recommend a 200-Series for you. I think you'll be very happy with it, as long as you're not trying to do really tight Jeep trails. They improved upon many of the 100's weaknesses. More power, better mpg, better towing, no more trouble-prone AHC, Coil sprung front end, much more luxurious. I wheeled Hell's Revenge with Christo Slee's semi built 200 series. It had a 2" lift, 35" tires and ARB lockers front and rear. And an ARB front bumper. It was a beast.

2014-05-01-15-38-08-jpg.904537

They just eat up passengers and cargo too. One of my buddy's runs a 200 series with 5 passengers, multiple dogs and a dual sport off the back. Try that in a JKU. His has ARB bumpers front and rear, sliders, 33" tires, ARB lockers front and rear, and a roof rack.

Death%2BValley%2B2013%2BSelects%2B-%2B59

Death%2BValley%2B2013%2BSelects%2B-%2B56

He also said it took 10 mins to remove the third row seats. So don't let those scare you off.

10525719_10204256401063641_6427997006054903507_n.jpg

If I'm still into this when I have large children, I'll move back to the Land Cruiser wagon world.

Last edited:

CYK

Adventurer
Single guy here. I still chose the 200, though price-wise, it's at the upper-end esp if you choose to buy the newer 2013+ models. This thing drives like a billet of forged aluminum.

0-60 in less than 7 seconds power for reference.

Good input by the klaus dude.

[video=vimeo;111688683]http://vimeo.com/111688683[/video]

MTSN

Explorer
The Land Cruisers are slow, luxury land yachts by comparison. But they're also tanks. You get an urge to preserve them. This can be a good or bad thing. I like how seemingly disposable the Jeeps are. If you destroy a fender, you can find another on craigslist for next to nothing.

Really good analysis as usual. This point stood out to me because it's so true! In the past, I've typically had German cars that were fast and fun and atrociously expensive to own. I spent $5k in repairs to my BMW X5 over the course of three months, and I pretty much wanted to drive it off a cliff every time it needed something. When the Land Cruiser needs something, I'm like "oh sweet! what can I upgrade this time?"

It doesn't bother me to drop $2-4k at Slee for regular maintenance or mods on the 100, but in the back of my mind I know it should. Between mods and maintenance so far in 2014, I've spent close to $10k on my 100, but I've never complained (much to the chagrin of my gf). Part of it is pride in the vehicle and the fact it's money I won't have to spend again for another 100,000 miles or more, but however you spin it I enjoy "preserving" the truck. I brag to my buddies that my truck is 16 years old, but it looks a decade newer and is quieter and smoother than most cars on the road and kicks butt off road, going up skiing, handling bad pavement, etc. You're right though in the sense that it can be a bad thing because everything is expensive and hard to come by on the LC, so it is not a cheap hobby. It seems that every mod or service is roughly, or at least, a grand: Slee sliders: $1k, skid plates: $1k, lift: $1k, TJM front bumper $1k, timing belt/water pump: $1k, etc. etc. It's particularly not cheap when added to the multiple Ducatis I have to maintain (and modify), along with the dirt bikes, and mountain bikes, and road bikes, and all the other cool toys. I hate the saying, but to borrow maybe "It's a Land Cruiser thing - you wouldn't understand"?? LOL

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
MTSN brings up a good point. Everything on Jeeps seems to cost $400. Everything on Land Cruisers costs $1000. The preventative maintenance and preservation mindset is good if you actually keep it that long. Once I had the realization that I'd sell the Land Cruiser at some point, my perspective changed. I'm not at a point to keep a vehicle forever. When I am I'll pick up an FJ62 and a G55 AMG.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I haven't driven a 200-Series yet, but I love my 100. I loved my 80 before that. I also grew up in a Jeep family and have owned everything from an MB to an LJ. There is no way I would own another Jeep. The 200 is tempting, but it is quite a bit larger than a 100. I would choose an '03+ 100-Series just so it would fit between the trees better and you have more aftermarket support. I also think that the 2UZ is the best gas motor Toyota has offered in the US since the 22RE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles