My 04' Tundra Mistress - Keep my LX or Build the Tundy

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
A couple things to consider with a 1st Gen Tundie:

There is a lot less aftermarket options than for just about any other Toyota 4x4 ever made...I dont know why, but the 1st Gens got VERY little aftermarket love...So any armor you want, will mostly have to either custom made, or altered from something offered for another model. If you can weld and fab, great...If not, that sux...lol

Also, i was kind of surprised, when I went to see if I would be able to stuff my Tundie in my garage....I have a (roughly) 20ftx20ft garage...Measured my '00 AC Tundie, and it seems to be about 19 1/2ft from bumper to bumper!!...Plus it has a horrible turning radius.

Also, there are actually quite a LOT of parts that do NOT cross over from other models...Even the Tacoma, which shares the same tranny, & diffs...

Once I got into a Tundie, i sure miss having manual hubs (luckily, you can do a swap from the CVs out (including spindles), from a 1st/2nd Gen Taco, IF you can find donor parts); as well as a stick xfer case...I really dont like the pushbutton...

Also, IIRC, choices for selectable lockers are non-existent...Only choice is ARBs...

If you DO get a Tundie, make sure its got a CLEAN frame on it, as there is the recall on them...They've just started one for '03-'04's...Not sure if it includes the '05-'06s...

Also, dont expect wonders on gas mileage with a Tundie...especially if you're going to be adding weight...

I would also recommend doing some lurking and research on TundraSolutions, to see what kind of unique issues and idiosyncrasies the Tundies have...you may have to dump some $$ into just regular maintenance and upgrades, before getting to mods...

Oh, and Doc2012, I like your sig line...

I used to FIX PRC-90's in the Corps, and then after that I used to MAKE PRC-119s, among other things...lol

AxleIke

Adventurer

There is a lot less aftermarket options than for just about any other Toyota 4x4 ever made...I dont know why, but the 1st Gens got VERY little aftermarket love...So any armor you want, will mostly have to either custom made, or altered from something offered for another model. If you can weld and fab, great...If not, that sux...lol

Also, i was kind of surprised, when I went to see if I would be able to stuff my Tundie in my garage....I have a (roughly) 20ftx20ft garage...Measured my '00 AC Tundie, and it seems to be about 19 1/2ft from bumper to bumper!!...Plus it has a horrible turning radius.

Also, there are actually quite a LOT of parts that do NOT cross over from other models...Even the Tacoma, which shares the same tranny, & diffs...

Once I got into a Tundie, i sure miss having manual hubs (luckily, you can do a swap from the CVs out (including spindles), from a 1st/2nd Gen Taco, IF you can find donor parts); as well as a stick xfer case...I really dont like the pushbutton...

Also, IIRC, choices for selectable lockers are non-existent...Only choice is ARBs...

If you DO get a Tundie, make sure its got a CLEAN frame on it, as there is the recall on them...They've just started one for '03-'04's...Not sure if it includes the '05-'06s...

Also, dont expect wonders on gas mileage with a Tundie...especially if you're going to be adding weight...

I would also recommend doing some lurking and research on TundraSolutions, to see what kind of unique issues and idiosyncrasies the Tundies have...you may have to dump some $$ into just regular maintenance and upgrades, before getting to mods...

I used to FIX PRC-90's in the Corps, and then after that I used to MAKE PRC-119s, among other things...lol

Just one point to address on this post:

The manual hub CV's are weaker than the ADD CVs, so its not an upgrade I would consider personally. The axles neck down further at the hub than the ADD ones, and as my buddy with a manual hub taco found out, they break lots, right at the hub. Now, if you also put in some RCV chromo stuff, I'm sure that would be negated, I'm only speaking to the stock axles.

rickashay

Explorer

Good points but I already have an 04' Tundra as per the first post. Its immaculate, steering radius blows, the frame is mint, I get 19-20 mpg on the highway and IF I do this, I'll be dropping it at CBI Offroad for custom armor. ARB's are excellent lockers so we're good there! Pushbutton T-Case is a little lame, but something that doesnt concern me. Just keep those contacts clean!

Great discussion in this thread though. I've enjoyed reading peoples experiences and thoughts on the Tundra mainly, as we all know the LX/80 Series is already a proven and capable machine. I've decided to play around with my 80's suspension and see where that gets me. If it doesnt improve I still may pursue the Tundra down the road. I have also decided to keep the Tundra in DD status as I simply cannot let it go. It's too clean and I like it more that any vehicle I have ever purchased. I'll just have to save up and buy a car at a later date, and keep the Tundra in the stable.

FWIW I ordered some Fox shocks for my 80 series today. Going to try swapping out the shocks and seeing if the ride improves. Also going to order some adjustable panhards from Slee and see what the total change nets me. Gears will help with power loss, but that is something I can realize without dropping the $$$ right now to "test" it. Suspension and driveability are my main concerns and places to try and address ATM. I also replaced my broken door lock solenoids over the weekend... feels great having working door locks again!

AxleIke

Adventurer
One possible issue with the panhards is if they are at different angles. if they are off, they can cause changes in steering like you describe. You might try measuring the angles on level ground, and if they are off, modifying the rear to match the front. May be more work than you want to do. Ideally, they would be flat, but thats not a reality on a lifted truck.

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Just one point to address on this post:

The manual hub CV's are weaker than the ADD CVs, so its not an upgrade I would consider personally. The axles neck down further at the hub than the ADD ones, and as my buddy with a manual hub taco found out, they break lots, right at the hub. Now, if you also put in some RCV chromo stuff, I'm sure that would be negated, I'm only speaking to the stock axles.

Hmmm... I have not heard about this...But then I havent been lurking any Taco forums lately... :)
I havent pursued more research on the subject yet, since it will/would be awhile till I could afford to even think about gathering parts for it...

Thanx!

Atipps

I feel ya
the tundra could be a better overall choice
but that land cruzer has much mo style….

OR you could throw a diesel in the lx. I've seen them around

Last edited:

MobTuff

Observer
Great looking truck there! You really found a gem. I my Tundra. Would love to see what you get CBI Offroad to do to your truck. :lurk:

vicali

Adventurer
Such a nice dilemma to face hey Addison? lol..

My take;
-Tom Cruiser is crazy, everyone drools over him, he's always showing off for the camera, but deep down you don't really like him -plus he's kindof a pain in the youknowwhat.
-Tundra has already carried you (and your important things) all over western Canada no-sweat.. doesn't ask for much in return and keeps you safe and warm..

I'm going to have to vote Tundra, and I look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

TiFJ

Observer
My vote would be to keep both. I think if you modify the Tundra, you will end up with another rig that is compromised on-road for capability off-road and you will be back where you are now but with a less desirable vehicle. The two vehicles complement each other well and excel in different areas.

I have a modified FJ Cruiser that I feel the same way about as you do your LX. Horrible seats, rough suspension, LOUD, tracking issues and gutless on the highway... Basically, horrible to drive on-road. But, when I take it to Moab or Colorado, it really shines on the trails and I fall in love again.

972235_10100177320471355_455560838_n.jpg

My solution was to buy a Raptor for driving around town, hauling mountain bikes to the trailhead, and going on camping / roadtrips. It is still fairly capable offroad but is comfortable, quiet, luxurious, powerful etc (like your Tundra) ... all things the FJ (and LX) is not.

10559704_10100426414445035_7261475805522670167_n.jpg

PS - I love your Tom Cruiser build thread. My favourite LX on the board. Would hate to see you get rid of it even though I think you would build one helluva Tundra.

rickashay

Explorer
I feel ya
the tundra could be a better overall choice
but that land cruzer has much mo style….

OR you could throw a diesel in the lx. I've seen them around

As nice as the diesel is, I'm not a huge fan of "coal burners." My good friend Nick has a JDM 1HD-T with upgraded intercooler, injectors, full exhaust, etc etc. The thing is a beast, sounds amazing and is the most bada$$ Cruiser on the trails. But it's still gutless, slow, and just not my style. It would be a gaser swap if anything. LS6? lol

Great looking truck there! You really found a gem. I my Tundra. Would love to see what you get CBI Offroad to do to your truck. :lurk:

If you go to CBI... have them be able to make a copy so I can get one :)

Paging CBI offroad! I was talking to Nathan at CBI and discussing a basic plan for my Tundra project IF it happens. I was mentioning that the 1st Gen Tundra crowd needs more support and that Doug (my Tundra's name.... lol long story) would be a great spokesperson for some shiny CBI armor!

Such a nice dilemma to face hey Addison? lol..

My take;
-Tom Cruiser is crazy, everyone drools over him, he's always showing off for the camera, but deep down you don't really like him -plus he's kindof a pain in the youknowwhat.
-Tundra has already carried you (and your important things) all over western Canada no-sweat.. doesn't ask for much in return and keeps you safe and warm..

I'm going to have to vote Tundra, and I look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Oh man Mike, more of the "locals" are reading this. Who knows when I am going to start getting harassed at the next monthly meet, lol. However it's funny, your short and sweet comment pretty much sums my first-world-problem up. Other than the fact that I "dont really like the LX", because I truly do - just in it's own offroad manor. You definitely nailed it on the Tundra though... it doesnt complain and I have developed some kind of obscure attachment to the thing. Hell, it has dealer installed heated seats! (which were never an option on early Tundras).

I'll wait and try out the new Fox shocks I just ordered. The Tundra will be lurking in the background waiting for judgment day. haha

My vote would be to keep both. I think if you modify the Tundra, you will end up with another rig that is compromised on-road for capability off-road and you will be back where you are now but with a less desirable vehicle. The two vehicles complement each other well and excel in different areas.

I have a modified FJ Cruiser that I feel the same way about as you do your LX. Horrible seats, rough suspension, LOUD, tracking issues and gutless on the highway... Basically, horrible to drive on-road. But, when I take it to Moab or Colorado, it really shines on the trails and I fall in love again.

My solution was to buy a Raptor for driving around town, hauling mountain bikes to the trailhead, and going on camping / roadtrips. It is still fairly capable offroad but is comfortable, quiet, luxurious, powerful etc (like your Tundra) ... all things the FJ (and LX) is not.

PS - I love your Tom Cruiser build thread. My favourite LX on the board. Would hate to see you get rid of it even though I think you would build one helluva Tundra.

Thanks for the compliment on Tom. You have a pretty awesome set of rigs yourself! A raptor for a DD... wicked! That's kind of where I'm at right now having both rigs, but deep deep down inside I am also a car guy. A car guy who has been denied his obsession due budget, and/or my interest in offroading peaking in the last few years. Freeing up one of my "trucks" will get me into a car. With turbos. :smiley_drive:

One point to mention though is the build of the Tundra. The way I want it done will require a lot of custom fabrication. Costs will be high but mainly getting the right person to do the fab work will be difficult. There really aren't that many options up here for reputable fabrication shops that are 4x4 specific. I could get CBI to do a lot of the work but then I would run into issues coming back across the border, as they can technically deny the vehicle access back into Canada if major work has been completed in the US that alters it from OEM. A bed bob and tubbed firewall may apply. My friend with the JDM diesel 80 is a phenomenal backyard fabricator with a past in CNC milling. The only problem is his day job doesnt grant him predictable time to allot to projects like this. +1 for the 80 in this regard.

Last edited:

01tundra

Explorer
If you do the bed bob right I doubt most people with an untrained eye would even notice it, same with the firewall work :ylsmoke:

DSC00703_zpsd611dd6a.jpg

DSC00707_zps083f437b.jpg

DSC01428_zps690e037f.jpg

rickashay

Explorer
If you do the bed bob right I doubt most people with an untrained eye would even notice it, same with the firewall work :ylsmoke:

OMG. So awesome. Thanks for posting those... exactly what I would do with the bed/wheel/tire size. I'd be a little lower without the SAS but an excellent representation of a capable yet clean Tundra!

MojaveMadMan

Observer
I am sure you could find someone to do the bob up there. It isn't really an off-road thing to get bodywork done. I bet there are plenty of talented body guys who can tackle that one. Same with whatever firewall work you want. CBI's stuff is all bolt on so you could have them made, then load them up in the bed of the truck, now no mads have been made... haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles