My 04' Tundra Mistress - Keep my LX or Build the Tundy

TiFJ

Observer
Thanks for the compliment on Tom. You have a pretty awesome set of rigs yourself! A raptor for a DD... wicked! That's kind of where I'm at right now having both rigs, but deep deep down inside I am also a car guy. A car guy who has been denied his obsession due budget, and/or my interest in offroading peaking in the last few years. Freeing up one of my "trucks" will get me into a car. With turbos. :smiley_drive:

I understand completely... once I get the house and my wife's business paid off then the 997.1 Porsche Turbo savings fund will be started! In any event, I'm excited to see what you come up with for the LX or Tundra and if / when you get your car, make sure to make the build thread available to us Expo'ers.

seanpistol

Explorer
If you do the bed bob right I doubt most people with an untrained eye would even notice it, same with the firewall work :ylsmoke:

DSC00703_zpsd611dd6a.jpg

DSC00707_zps083f437b.jpg

DSC01428_zps690e037f.jpg

show off!!!

rickashay

Explorer
Well, I got my Fox shocks installed on my 80. I must admit the ride is substantially better than the L shocks. I just think the valving was very mismatched for my particular setup. Still doesnt fix how gutless the truck is though... especially since I just bought a 05' Subaru Legacy GT and did a stage 1 Cobb tune. Now when I step into the Lexus its painful. I never thought buying the subaru would play any role on my decision, but it seems this Tundra build just keeps creeping back into my head.

tyv12

Adventurer
http://youtu.be/ss8Ay-Yj5iQ
A fix for the best of both worlds, I will admit that in my tundra it is frustrating that it seems every second time I go wheeling with it My steering wheel gets knocked off centre or I'm fighting with the uca's making noise , a tundra with a 3 link solid axle is I think ultimate ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soonenough

Explorer
Well, I got my Fox shocks installed on my 80. I must admit the ride is substantially better than the L shocks. I just think the valving was very mismatched for my particular setup. Still doesnt fix how gutless the truck is though... especially since I just bought a 05' Subaru Legacy GT and did a stage 1 Cobb tune. Now when I step into the Lexus its painful. I never thought buying the subaru would play any role on my decision, but it seems this Tundra build just keeps creeping back into my head.
A Subaru w/ the 2.0 turbo has been my other obsession for ~15 years. I've wanted one for as long as I can remember, and the Cobb packages were always on the top of my list. I used to live just a few miles from the original Cobb in Plano. Unfortunately I haven't come up with the funds for a second vehicle (retire the Tacoma as a DD). That's probably a good thing, because rather than doing the smart thing and buying a fuel-efficient vehicle that I have no interest in modding, I'd probably buy a Suby and end up with another addiction and a sub-20-mpg DD.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Such a nice dilemma to face hey Addison? lol..

My take;
-Tom Cruiser is crazy, everyone drools over him, he's always showing off for the camera, but deep down you don't really like him -plus he's kindof a pain in the youknowwhat.
-Tundra has already carried you (and your important things) all over western Canada no-sweat.. doesn't ask for much in return and keeps you safe and warm..

I'm going to have to vote Tundra, and I look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Best post of the thread.

I've gone down the road you are on. Started with an 80 and did a "No expense spared" rebuild of the motor w/supercharger. This build included having Slee's best mechanic stay at my house for the reassembly. Used it to compete in the Nevada Trophy etc. and ended up selling it for a 100 series. A Troopy, and an HJ45 later I'm in an extended cab Ford and happier than ever. I even had CBI build a custom rear bumper for it. The bumper is on their site, the truck has been in 4Wheel & Off road and has a build thread here on ExPo. The truck has been to Baja and all over the rest of the west. Will it do the Rubicon, no, but I have the LJ for that.

My point is that if I had to pick between my F-250 and the LJ, I'd pick the 250. It just does everything I have asked from it with zero issues. When I see a nice 80 I miss mine for a second, but then again I miss most of my ex rigs.

I think the Tundra will serve you well, especially if you bob the bed.

johnnyG

Observer
I've gone down the road you are on. Started with an 80 and did a "No expense spared" rebuild of the motor w/supercharger. This build included having Slee's best mechanic stay at my house for the reassembly. Used it to compete in the Nevada Trophy etc. and ended up selling it for a 100 series. A Troopy, and an HJ45 later I'm in an extended cab Ford and happier than ever. I even had CBI build a custom rear bumper for it. The bumper is on their site, the truck has been in 4Wheel & Off road and has a build thread here on ExPo. The truck has been to Baja and all over the rest of the west. Will it do the Rubicon, no, but I have the LJ for that.

My point is that if I had to pick between my F-250 and the LJ, I'd pick the 250. It just does everything I have asked from it with zero issues. When I see a nice 80 I miss mine for a second, but then again I miss most of my ex rigs.

I think the Tundra will serve you well, especially if you bob the bed.

Interesting. I'm in a similar situation - I have a '97 LX450 that I will be building, and a 2002 7.3 superduty, lifted, locked that I'm considering selling to buy a minty '02 tundra with 50k miles. I am worried about future frame rust issues on the tundy, but I love the way it drives, it's size, it's power, etc. I would plan to keep it as stock as possible while I build the 80. To me it makes sense to keep both vehicles, rather than spend huge (unrecoverable) money to make the tundra shine off road or the LX shine on road.

rickashay

Explorer
Interesting. I'm in a similar situation - I have a '97 LX450 that I will be building, and a 2002 7.3 superduty, lifted, locked that I'm considering selling to buy a minty '02 tundra with 50k miles. I am worried about future frame rust issues on the tundy, but I love the way it drives, it's size, it's power, etc. I would plan to keep it as stock as possible while I build the 80. To me it makes sense to keep both vehicles, rather than spend huge (unrecoverable) money to make the tundra shine off road or the LX shine on road.

Well, I've already ventured past the point of no return. I see your reasoning and I guess it depends on what trails you do and your proximity to those trails. In my scenario highway travel is necessary to get to the local trails, and a LOT more highway driving is necessary to get me to some of the more iconic desitnations that I hope to go with my truck. I can't drive both when I plan on driving somewhere to wheel.

Your undoubtedly correct though, I'm in the midst of spending money to make my Tundra have reasonable prowess offroad and remain driveable instead of just keeping both. So far though, I must admit, I'm not really missing the LX. Sentimentally yes, but objectively no. I seriously love my Tundra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior