VHF...

Dougherty03

Get your Amateur License for VHF - 50, 144, 220 MHz, UHF - 440 and 900 MHz or go GMRS (UHF). GMRS will cover your whole family and only requires a fee, no test. The group you ride with will dictate what route you go, as they will all need the same type of license and equipment.

If you are a lone wolf, Ham is the way to go hands down. You can even rig a mobile HF antenna for the higher bands (28, 24, 21, and 18 MHz) bands easily. This will get you MUCH more coverage than any VHF setup will do short of bouncing your signal off the moon.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
I'm mostly a lone wolf but I'm not completely antisocial. It is nice to talk to strangers now and then. Can be a conversation starter too.

In an emergency can you use MURS to get help? Not impossible but not nearly as likely as ham. I find its actually easier to talk people into ham than buying a radio thats only useful amongst one group.

Dougherty03

I don't know anyone who is monitoring MURS for emergencies. I doubt anyone can hear you on the 2 watt maximum, maybe Walmart employees. But they will just tell you you are on Walmart super secret frequencies and tell you to clear.

After a while, you get to know your local hams from your conversations on the radio. Some you will wind up meeting in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior