Bike-Hauling Creeper Van

LilKJ

Adventurer
Thought it was about time to get my build thread going. I just picked up this van after a long time of driving a Jeep. The main purpose of the whole thing will be an easy way to transport my motorcycles and mountain bikes around as well as the frequent trips around Durango, Ouray, Telluride, Moab, etc. I don't think it's goiong to get lifted, but there will be plenty of fun building to do.

So here's what we started with: 2009 E-150 XL with the 4.6

First comes the mandatory herculiner treatment, back portion has since been done as well..

Then I ordered a bunch of goodies (yet to be installed)

LilKJ

Adventurer
First questions for knowledgeable van peeps:

1. I need to remove the DRL's. Am I correct that the only way to do that in this one is to take it to a dealer and have them hook it up?

2. I need a master switch for all of the dome lights. I know the earlier vans had the hookup behind the driver's B pillar to install a switch for dome lights. True for this one?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
First questions for knowledgeable van peeps:

1. I need to remove the DRL's. Am I correct that the only way to do that in this one is to take it to a dealer and have them hook it up?

2. I need a master switch for all of the dome lights. I know the earlier vans had the hookup behind the driver's B pillar to install a switch for dome lights. True for this one?

The DRL's are controlled by the SJB (Smart Junction Box) and, confirmed from the details in the factory service manual, it does appear that the DRLs are programmable (feature can be turned on/off). It may not be a problem for you but I've found that dealerships are a pain to work with on something like this because it is a little "outside the box" for them. At a minimum, you'll need to find someone with Ford's VCM tool and the IDS software. This is the interface that connects to the vehicle's modules and allows you to manipulate programmable parameters. For someone who knows what they're doing, this is a few minute job. For most dealerships that I've come across, this would make their heads explode.

As for the dome lights... buy the factory wiring manual (can be found on Ebay for cheap). It is definitely worth it. I think I paid less than $20 for a 2013 manual.

LilKJ

Adventurer
That's what I figured... The DRL's just have to go away. The idea of blinding or waking everyone up just because I want to sneak out of a campsite or shift the van around sounds terrible.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Too many windows to be a real creeper van. If you want to up the creep factor, you're going to have to cover the windows with Reflectix and scrawl "Free Candy" on the sides...

LilKJ

Adventurer
Front receiver will primarily be a recovery point, but I also like having the option of moving the bike rack up front so I don't have to fight with the rear doors.

fjatheart

Adventurer
Smart. Is this receiver specifically made for the front of this van or did you have to search for something with mounting points that matched?

LilKJ

Adventurer
Fired up the sewing machine and made a magnetic window screen. I'm digging it. Should keep the bugs out and let in plenty of fresh air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier