Built up wj vs stock fj80, should I make the switch?

I own the wj now. It's pretty well built. Clayton 6" on 33" km2s, roof rack, dual battery setup, lunchbox locker and a bunch of other small stuff. Transmission is shift hard and is showing signs of near future failure. My friend has a mint condition 91 fj80 that he would sell me for a little more than what replacing the transmission costs. I would be starting over on a whole new project. What do you think? Save the wj or sell it and start on the fj80
Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 78
The wj has 115k miles and it has the stock axels. Fj80 is 100% stock and in really good condition @ about 200k miles. My dilemma is replacing the trany, and maybe having engine problems or other problems in the future and having to dump more money. Its also really expensive to swap in stronger axels on a wj. The fj80 has decent axels already and I've always heard how reliable and easy to work on they are vs how unreliable grand Cherokees tend to be.

What would you do?

Lecoq

Explorer
What engine is in your WJ? I know what you mean about service cost. The other side of the coin is going to an older vehicle, starting over all the maintenance and building it up.

In my opinion, you're better off with a Jeep if you have a V8. Parts are much cheaper than the Toyota would be. The power in the 80 series is pretty dismal. Building up axles to run 35's isn't too bad on a WJ.

If you have the I6 it might not be much of a trade off power wise. Compare the cost of a transmission in the 80 series and the Jeep. It'll give you a better idea of what you're getting into.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
A 1991 is a whole lot older vehicle than your WJ. If you have the V8 there will also be a huge difference in power/driveability. I have a 1999 WJ that I have put over 260,000 miles on. Some of that has been offroad but primarily as our daily driver adventure car. I have had a 2.5" spacer lift and 31s since 80K miles. We are replacing it soon due to rust. I live in Ohio and winters feature salted roads. Mechanically it is still sound. I would buy another, but the wife wants 7 passenger seating so we are getting a Commander.

I drove a 1994 FJ80 once for a week. It was nice and had a ton of room but it was so underpowered I found it unacceptable. It reminded me of my Suzuki Samurai. Every hill was an event. You had to prepare for it by getting a run and hope no one pulled out to stop your momentum.

I wouldn't mind an 80, but I would absolutely need to swap the engine.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
The Land Cruiser name is nostalgic...once you get past that you will have a heavy, underpowered, 23 year old vehicle. Not sure how many mint 80 series really exist that cost has much as a WJ transmission. The 80 series has some expensive maintenance items that may be more than a replacement WJ transmission.

If you want to start a new project than maybe the 80 is an option, but from an everyday daily driving the WJ is better than the 80.

Some other options....

100 series Land Cruiser
Newer WJ
WK Grand Cherokee
Wrangler

Dutchman82

Dutchman82
I would think long and hard before getting rid of you WJ for a 91 80 series. The 80 series is a great vehicle but I wouldn't buy one that wasn't at least a 93. They made some big changes after 92. It's still slow with bad fuel economy but a better version of the early 80 series in my opinion, and if you find the right one they come with factory front and rear lockers. I own two 80 series, 93, and 96, the 96 is my DD. They are solid but if stuff breaks it's expensive. Both have been to Moab, and just took the 93 through the Rubicon. Sounds like you have your jeep set up pretty well, and I would recommend, you take it to a trans shop to find out what the issue is and replacement cost. If you are looking for an excuse to build a new off-road rig the 80 series is a great platform, but expect to be disappointed with the power and fuel economy without an engine swap (which are normally 10k plus). They are still awesome rigs, and most sold for over 50k new, so it is built well, but the power wasn't there until the 100 series came out in 98 (along with the IFS). Hope this helps.

My WJ is the H.O v8. limited. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Its been really helpful in figuring out what I'm goon to do. I flushed the transmission, changed the filters, added new atf4 fluid, and changed the input speed sensor, and output speed sensor. It actually helped. For a few days it drove fine with no problems. But then it started shifting funny again. A few times on the freeway I would gas it and it would rev up to 4k rpm and not do anything, like if was in neutral. I then got off the gas and let it rev down until I felt the gear engage and it would be fine. It does this for a few days, then it shift normal for a few days. I get no mil light or codes. When I dropped the pan to change the filters and fluid, the old fluid looked and smelled brand new, I saw no metal flakes in the fluid or on the pan. It's now bigger job than I'm capable of doing so I'm taking it to a recommended mechanic tomorrow. I hope he can figure it out and it doesn't cost me an arm and leg.

JeepN95yj Im pretty sure I'm sticking with my Wj. If I get as many miles out of it as you did I will consider it a win!

once again my wj is a limited HO v8, with 115k miles and transmission problems. It has a clayton 6" lift, 33 km2, roof rack, warn winch, steel rear bumper and tire carrier, on board air, dual battery, and a bunch of other little things like sway bar disconnects. The only thing i still want to upgrade are the axles but I cant afford it right now.

I rebuilt transmission is about $1800 and I would have to install it myself or pay someone to do it. (i don't know if I actually need it yet, we will hopefully find out tomorrow when i take it to a mechanic)

I can get my friend wj for less than $3k and it runs great. here is his add on craiglist http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4568721637.html

I would take off what I can use from the wj and try to sell it as is. ( i would disclaim the trany problems)

after what everyone here has said I will probably keep the WJ going for a while longer but I wanted to put all the info out there incase someone could provide some useful insight. thanks again.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You have to temper the replies here based on the fact that you are asking in the Jeep section. Ask in the TLC section and 90% would say get the 80. I have owned both Jeeps and 80 series (as well as 40s and 60s TLCs). If it were me, I'd go for the 80 based on a few things. You are buying it from a friend (who hopefully is going to be straight with you), clean actual granny driven 80s don't come along very often, they are built to do 1,000,000 miles and are of a MUCH higher build quality than any Jeep ever was. I also think the extra room in the 80 is a plus. You can always get another WJ as they are a dime a dozen. If the straight six is not your cup of tea (read: you are always in a hurry), then think about a GM V8 swap into the 80. It will cost about the same as putting stronger axles in your WJ, and will be a lifetime vehicle when you are done. Forum member RMPO has a V8 80 series and it is a beast! Spend a bit of time reading this thread before you make up your mind. I'd trade my modded JKUR for a V8 80 in a second!

www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116899-RMP-amp-O-s-v8-80-series

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
1,000,000 miles.....hmmmmmm

Obviously with maintenance along the way you ************** :D. Jeeps (and most domestics) are designed to be replaced in 5-10 years time on average. Current NA spec Toyotas fit this criteria too.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Obviously with maintenance along the way you ************** :D. Jeeps (and most domestics) are designed to be replaced in 5-10 years time on average. Current NA spec Toyotas fit this criteria too.

This coming from a man/woman who has a 1998 Dodge 3500...16 year old domestic vehicle....any plans on replacing that?

I wonder what the B10 or B50 life is on GM V8?

So was the the 80 series the last vehicle that Toyota over built?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
This coming from a man who has a 1998 Dodge 3500...16 year old domestic vehicle....any plans on replacing that?

Actually, yes.

I get it. You have a WJ. I'd love to drive the diesel version. I read your thread on it and I like what you've done with it. My point was that older Landcruisers (as well as current 70 series offerings) are designed to be field serviceable and to withstand a ton of punishment in less than ideal conditions. Not everyone needs that. I'm just offering a contrary point of view to the OP.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz