MBT /T3??

Whtshos

Observer
I have been looking for a small trailer to get the equipment and gear out of the rig. Have been reading many of the builds and am truly amazed at the ingenuity and talent of some people. Incredible!! I found what I believe to be a MBT / T3. The remains of the original floor are underneath the flat sheet with drain plugs in the rear. No evidence of hand grips anywhere. I'm sure the tailgate has been cut out and made to work. I do know the tongue has been extended. The hand brake cables exist, but have been cut off about one foot in front of the axle.
Initial plans are to inspect bearings, install some lights, get it registered, drag it around my upcoming AR High Water Mark area in October.
End result will be a RTT hauler with the ability to utilize the annex and simple power and water plumbing.

I am looking for some identifying items to help pin point what this is, what axle and suspension parts are available or crossed to modern items.

Upper external dimensions are 74"x48" and the lower dimensions are 72" x 38" if that helps any
If more photos are needed for ID, let me know and I will snap what I can.
Yes...I have been known to drag home other peoples junk:eek::eek:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
looks like the older M100 I think it was

I have the technical manual for the M416 in PDF PM your email & I'll send it to you

its packed with tons of info that might help you out if so desired

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like it! Did you get a good deal? Try it out and see what you want to change and what works best for you.
Looks to be in better shape than most I have seen.

Whtshos

Observer
A deal is in the beholders eyes. $600 was fair to me as I did not want to start from scratch. I will need a trail trailer in the next two months and the cash was available now. Bonus was it was 45 minutes down the road, others were $150 in gas away. The frame is solid and the hubs are in great shape. I tore into them today, cleaned, greased and made new gaskets. Many may gasp at that price, but the platform is what I wanted, or would have modified to. Was not looking for a "dry" trailer. My containers take care of that. Plans are a RTT rack.
We will see how it goes. I've been told you eat an elephant one bite at a time.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I think $600.00 was a good deal. Solid trailer you can use while making the additions you need.
What is the galvanized box on the front? Home made?

Whtshos

Observer
That Gal Box is a monster!!! If it is homemade, they were in the metal bending business!! There are no markings on it and the hinges are generic. The folds and mating joints are of great quality. It will remain in place for awhile, but this is a beast!!
I will post pics of it this evening after work.

Whtshos

Observer

We'll that was painless..:wings:
Headed out for new shocks and on the search for some tires. New rubber is out if the question at this point, but some new-to-me is needed.

Whtshos

Observer
Color change.

Paint bombed it an Aluminum Gloss. No prep, no sanding, just a color change until it cools off a bit to truly tear into it. Went with a solid to tongue TSC tri axis. The main beam is 2x3. Excellent idea!!
Gonna drag it a few hundred miles this weekend to see what falls off and go from there:Wow1:
The pics are not super as it was getting dark but ya get the idea. The 31x10.5x15's fit quite a bit better than the 33's. Kept one for a spare until my money tree blooms again. :sombrero:

Whtshos

Observer
Free metal is always good!

My neighbor works for a large mower distributor and brough over a couple 1x2 tube pieces. They come out of the packaging containers the large decks are shipped in. Just happens that they fit perfect against the frame under the bed side seam. These will be used for fender rails and step frames. Also for the frame work for the RTT. Plenty strong and relatively light weight compared to what I was looking at. Another bonus is these pieces are dipped and not painted, which to me means that they are internally coated to boot.:)

I have done more research and truly believe she is an M100 circa '45-'48 but can not confirm as no markings exist. May be off on the dates, but pretty sure it is an M100.

Hope to start on external framing next weekend.

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . I have done more research and truly believe she is an M100 circa '45-'48 but can not confirm as no markings exist. May be off on the dates, but pretty sure it is an M100.

It is not an M100. Spring hangers are wrong, no grab handles on the corners, among other things.

It is a Willys MBT or Bantam T3. You may be able to determine which by a close inspection of the axle, or by the ACM number if you are very lucky and it still exists.

You should study the information available at these websites carefully:

http://bantamt3c.com/images/hubbard/Pages/Bantam.html

http://www.bantamt3c.com/

These sites detail the differences between the T3, MBT and M100. There are some inaccuracies, but minor.:

http://www.wwiijeepparts.com/Archives/JeepTrailer.html

http://jeepdraw.com/Chucks_Trailers.html

http://www.g529.com/

Also, check the 1/4 ton trailer forum at g503.com. It is primarily for collectors/restorers of military vehicles, so there is a natural antagonism toward those who modify vintage military trailers rather than keep them original, but there is substantial information available regarding how to determine whether is trailer is a Willys MBT, Bantam T3, or post-WWII M100.

http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18&sid=7236134502dd98dc7e49c7834cbea0f0

Best of luck with your trailer. My Bantam trailer has been in the family since 1965 (I was 15). I restored it in 2005 and can't imagine ever parting with it.

2005%20Nissan%20Xterra%20Offroad%20with%201946%20Bantam%20T3-C.jpg

Whtshos

Observer
Got a few things done the last couple of days.
Sliders cut.

Bumper mocked for visual.

Son claiming the welder for the day.:bowdown:

Sliders mounted.

Front uprights in place.

Bumper ready for mounting and done for the evening.

Hoping to get the bumper on tomorrow to finish the rear sliders and uprights. Going to have to do something about the gate soon. Looking to do very similar of what SLIMTWO did. Will reinforce the inside as my lower edges are rough and will need new metal soon.

Whtshos

Observer
Little progress tonight.

Uprights plumb with added side supports. Bumper and rear sliders on and wired. We'll see what I get done this week yet.
Hoping to get the inner uprights in place with the rack by the weekend.

I have intentions of purchasing the TEPUI GRAN SABANA Siberia Camo and being able to deploy the annex when weather is not so desirable. I am using Adam Tolman's idea (Box Rocket) for the platform. (BRILLIANT)

She won't be nearly as pretty, but I'm not going for any beauty awards:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke