Oldest camping gear you're still using?

robgendreau

Explorer
A thread about sleeping bags (he's since bought his) got me to thinking about camping equipment that REALLY lasts.

Some were suggesting a down bag, which I'd second. I've got a Ski Hut down bag from 1968 that I still use. Yeah, it's been washed several times and lost some loft (once comfortable to 0F now maybe 40F) but still very usuable. Meanwhile, I've been through maybe 8 synthetic bags. Cost $68 at the time, which is about $455US in today's dollars depending on how you calculate (CPI).

And I've also got a Lionel Terray down jacket from the late sixties that has GREAT loft (haven't used it as much). I've probably got some stuff that isn't clothing from that far back I still use (stoves, etc) but it amazes me that clothes could last that long, and the bag.

Rob

GR8ADV

Explorer
Over 50 years and counting. Not quite as fancy as the newer models but much more reliable. With ability to lift most anything in the campsite including my spirits when need be. Heck she is also a great heater at night; the versatility is amazing. They just don't make them like this anymore.

image.jpg

Modeler

W1DCS
Excluding the wife of 26 years, a maroon Coleman Steelbelted 54qt cooler. Manufacture date on the underside 7/1986. Pretty sure I bought it in August of that same year.

It is my backup cooler now, used only as the secondary for extended duration trips and only for beverages.

haven

Expedition Leader
Hey! I remember Ski Hut.

I've got a surplus wool blanket that I keep in the car. It's more that 50 years old, and is in very good condition. Still has a name tag that my mother sewed on when I went to camp. I have a pair of Patagonia long underwear from the 1970s. Still in great shape.

perkj

Explorer
I use a 1948 Coleman 237 kerosene lantern. It's over 550 candle power and lights up the night like you wouldn't believe.

herm

Adventurer
coleman multi-fuel camp stove from... who knows when. still has the wood handles. probably the 50s or 60s.

AndrewP

Explorer
coleman multi-fuel camp stove from... who knows when. still has the wood handles. probably the 50s or 60s.

Please post pictures!

The oldest bit I use that I bought new is a North Face down sleeping bag from 1975 or so. As a junior in high school we cooked up a plan to hike the Appalachian Trail for a month (the Virginia section) and I was working after school in a garden center. Bought the bag when I had saved the cash. It was $125, a huge sum to me at the time. It's still warm, very decent and still used regularly.

The oldest gear I use are Coleman items. My go to stove is a 426C triple burner from about 1961. Still works as new. I have a 242B lantern that fits inside the stove from 1938. Neither of these is used as a relic, they are just used as camp gear in the back of my truck.

ColemanIH8Mudpics2013003640x480_zpsdc48deee.jpg
[/URL]

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I have a Coleman peak one stove and a peak one lantern I have been using since 1980. They have served me very well. Only maintenance I have had to do is clean the fuel tank after I left stale fuel in it that jelled. Easy to fix.

grogie

Like to Camp
I still have my parents original tent that they bought and used when they were married over 50 years ago. The material is much thicker then today's tents and it still sees use on occasion.

I also have the tent's original instruction booklet that is titled, "Erection Instructions." My bother and I use to think that was pretty funny when we were teenagers. Dad just smiled. LOL

Just did a small bike tour on the Fuji Touring Series IV that I bought USED 30 years ago for a x-country trek. Used the same front panniers, same racks too. I still have the tent and sleeping bag from that trek, but I have not used them in years, last dog ate the foam pad I bought during that trip. I have a sleeping bag from K-Mart around 1976 that I occasionally use car-camping.

Geodoc

Adventurer
I've got an old US Army stainless steel canteen and cup (1943 manufacture date) that I take with me. I also carry my original Boy Scout mess kit (from the mid 70s).

Expedition Leader
My Svea 123 backpacking stove that I bought new for $14 in 1974. Still works as good as new, 100% original. It has never needed repair. Still use it every time I go camping.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My Svea 123 backpacking stove that I bought new for $14 in 1974. Still works as good as new, 100% original. It has never needed repair. Still use it every time I go camping.
I bought a Svea that year too! Gave it to my brother and he's still using it. Keep it clean and it will last forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste