83 Vanagon fridge won't light

BillTex

Adventurer
Doing some research for my Bud who picked up an 83 VW.
Dometic fridge.
Piezo sparks, pilot won't light.

Blew out lines.

Stove works fine. Fridge works on 110v, not lp.
Have to assume if there is sufficient pressure for stove that fridge should light?

Ideas/things to check?

Tx, Bill

type17

what procedure did you use to light it? did you try blowing out the flue and burner with compressed air?

what works for me:
with all knobs turned correctly, double check the instructions because its easy to get that part wrong, hold gas button and start pumping air knob 4-5 times then ignite it 4-5 times. rinse and repeat all while holding the gas button. its easy to flood the chamber, so keep that compressed air handy to clear it out if it wont light.

BillTex

Adventurer
Yes...blew out the lines. Some rust/dust came out...not too much. I can feel air passing thru the line.

How would you light pilit with match without pulling fridge?
I could find no access...

Followed instructions and repeated many times...

Tx, Bill

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
I didn't have a manual lighting spot on my 81' but did have a hard time getting the fridge to light. Type17 is right about the steps and repeating them, sometimes it would take 6-8 attempts to get the fridge to work. Tell your friend to plug it in at home the day before a trip so the fridge is already cool for the road. Good luck.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
we've found greater success if we pre-heat (pre-chill) the fridge on 110v 1st.
then the propane ignites better vs flooding the small chamber.

BillTex

Adventurer
Hi All, just wanted to report back; fridge is running fine on LP. Buddy has lit it 2x on LP just to be sure. Beer is cold and we are ready for road trip!

Tx again, Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior