xterra vs pathfinder 2005+

atlantean

Hi everyone, this is my first thread on here. I'm looking to get some feedback on 2005+ xterra vs pathfinder. I'm looking to do some mild trails, long distance driving on the highway, and in about a year bring it down to central/south America. I've researched here and elsewhere online, and got lots of info of them.

I know the differences between the two, as i've driven them both. I'd like ppls opinions though as it will be my dd as well.

Thoughts?

skibum315

Explorer
What specific concerns do you have?

The biggest difference is going to be that the rear suspension on the R51 Pathfinder is a coil sprung independent rear, with a body-fixed center carrier unit (differential); while the rear of the N50 Xterra will be a leaf-sprung live (solid) axle. The Pathfinder is a slightly bigger body, and will have slightly more interior room (and a 3rd row of seats, but that pretty well chews through available cargo area when they're in-use).

You said you know the differences, but just to review: there are a few years (only '08-'12, IIRC) when the Pathy had the VK56 V8 available, but they're rare and *really* retaining their value ... the Xterra had an MT (6-spd) available, as well as the factory e-locker in certain models. They both have the same front suspension, the same V6 and the same automatic trans. The transfer cases are virtually identical, but the Pathy has an additional 'auto' 4x4 mode that lets the computer decide when to lock and unlock the part-time t-case (the Xterra is more basic, being just rwd when the t-case is unlocked, and full 4wd when it's locked) ... with the Pathy, the 'auto' mode will be more like an awd, than a center-locked 4x4; but it does have the ability to be a fully locked center, as well. The Xterra will have slightly more options for factory axle gearing, than the Pathy; but neither is particularly well supplied in that regard, even from the aftermarket (though there are aftermarket ratios available for both).

All-around, the Xterra will have a bit better aftermarket support (here in the US, with most suppliers able to ship to Canada), but I'm not sure how well either would be supported in Central/South America ... I'm pretty sure the Xterra was only a North American vehicle, while the Pathy was sold more internationally (Europe and Australia, I'm pretty sure about for example); but I don't know much about the availability in the markets you're looking at, specifically.

rgallant

Adventurer
I will just added check the South/Central American service possibilities, and most importantly parts. Repairs can be done but if you are waiting 3 months for parts that could be painful. You are better to make your choice on what is readily available and serviceable there, could be a completely different platform.

Allof75

Pathfinder
^as said above, I would rate the Xterra better- body on frame, rear locker, more clearance, and strong aftermarket support. Whereas the pathfinder's only advantage would be a little more room, and a v8 option.

skibum315

Explorer
R51 Pathfinder is body-on-frame as well ... R230 diff (in the IRS for the V8 Pathfinders, the QX56 and the Pathfinder Armada) has an ARB locker available.

Not necessarily the slam dunk that the ARB for the Xterra would be (due to available R51 gearing in North America & possible crossover issues with the V6 IRS ... I haven't seen anyone yet do the wide-track rear swap on the Pathfinders, the way that the front is popular ... search "Titan Swap" on the Nissan boards, if you're not familiar with the OEM bolt on wide-track front for the F-Alpha platform) ... and certainly not OEM available, in the form of the Xterra e-locker.

I actually haven't seen side-by-side comparisons of the R51 and N50 stock clearance numbers ... but given that they're off of the same base platform (F-Alpha) I'd be surprised if they were all that different.

The Xterra's no slouch (I absolutely love mine); but it's not without its own faults ... the factory rear leafs are notoriously weak under extended loading, the early m226 rears (e-lockers in particular, if I'm not mistaken) were only a 2-spider diff, the front r180 diff *really* doesn't like shock loading (but there are known fixes at this point), the outer axle seals on the m226 rear can be prone to leaking if the breather gets stuck closed, the in-radiator transmission cooling loop on early VQ40 motors can crack and cause coolant/trans-fluid mixing (but that's a problem across all F-Alpha trucks - so would be a concern for an early R51 as well ... and may even be an issue for some of the VK56 trucks; but again, known fixes ... search SMOD for more info on this one) ...

Anyway, I don't think it's a slam dunk either way ... I think it probably comes down to personal preference for DD duty, and to parts/maintenance availably for the trip south.

Last edited:

Allof75

Pathfinder
Forgot about the body on frame on that generation, I would say generally that the Xterra is setup better out of the box, I've read several reviews on both, and the pathfinder became more of a family hauler/tow rig than trail rig. Longer wheelbase, cushier suspension, worse departure angle, that IRS... I don't think you'll go wrong with either, but if you intend to modify for one or two people on your adventure, the Xterra gets my vote.

jhill15

Explorer
Definitely love the 05 through x's over the pathy one thing, you can get an X with a rear diff lock on the offroad and pro 4x models. However the pathy is more roomy and is which the reason why I got out of my X. The 2nd gen X has more room than the 1st 1.5 gen. on long trips you will benefit from the extra cargo space of a pathy. For my family "myself, wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs" the X was just too crammed. For the smod as mentioned above is a prominent fail for the X's 05-07 but was cleared out in 08. So if you go with an X of those years make sure to checkcthe transmission fluid and coolant for the smodn also the smod only exists in automatics so if you find an 05-07 manual you will have no worries of it.

Strizzo

Explorer
Skibum pretty much covers it i think. in searching for a radflo setting starting point, i stumbled across a pathfinder forum post from a guy in Australia that put a full radflo suspension on his pathy that really improved it. interesting thought on the wide track rear, i wonder if anyone has done that, or if it actually offers more travel like the T swap does. i wonder if the armada rear suspension would work with the titan swap front end. if you managed to find a v8 pathy all you'd need would be longer tie rods, new cv shafts and upper and lower control arms to go with whatever shock/coilover setup you want in the front. and if you were lucky enough to find a v8 pathfinder with the "big tow" package you'd have the same 3.36 gear ratio that comes in the xterra offroad.

the R180 front diff in the v6 models doesn't like shock loads, but its weakness is a bit overstated as the early models had a heat treating issue that was never acknowledged by nissan. some people had diffs fail (front and rear) just pulling the truck out of a ditch or in stop and go traffic, right around the 60k powertrain warranty expiration. BUT - ARB makes a locker for both the R180 and the M205 that comes in the titan and v8 pathfinder, which fixes the issue of the spider gears grenading. the unfortunate thing is that when they let go, they tend to float around in the case until they wedge between the carrier and case, so usually the case gets split open when the spiders go.

looking at pictures of the pathfinder now, i'm not sure how much more 2nd row room you get with the pathfinder, the door looks to have the same big clearance for the rear tire that the xterra does. never ridden in the back of a pathfinder, but i know the xterra back seat kinda sucks.

skibum315

Explorer
Good expansions on a few points ... I have, in fact, looked into the rear swap a bit (the IRS equivalent to the T-Swap); we can talk elsewhere as I don't want to derail this thread any more than it is, but the long and short is that I haven't yet found anyone who's actually done it ... just a lot of speculation about possibility.

The other option to "fix" the front R180 diff issues, is the Lokka locker ... it's a ratcheting auto locker, similar to a Lock-Right or other replacement auto-locker.

atlantean

wow guys, I thank you guys for all the input. I would be looking at the v6 pathy in this situation, but thats a moot point as after taking in everything youve guys laid i'm going to go w the x! I'll be picking it up this coming weekend and posting some pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier