Embarrassing horn set help

jhill15

Explorer
So my horn set has gone out on me and is quite...well as the title says "embarrassing" lol. I cant count how many times ive wanted to honk at someone and my wife giggling while saying "do it" So its time to get new a horn set. Ive never replaced horns and I know that its plug and play if I get a factory horn set. But they are kinda expensive compaired to the horn sets that are on amazon., ebay etc...

Are horn sets universal and will plug right intocthe factory harness or will I have to splice into it?

Anyone got any suggestions on a good set?

Thanks

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
Most aftermarket horns will require you to cut off the oem plugs and crimp on ring terminals. Pretty easy to do.

jhill15

Explorer
I could definitely manage that. Is there anyway to cut the factory adapter off the old horns and wire it to the new horns so I dont have to cut the harness?

zelatore

Explorer
I think use of the horn is an east-coast thing. When I go to the NYC area I hear horns constantly. Here on the west coast, say in SanFran, I rarely hear horns.

That said, it's pretty easy to splice in any old electric horn. Basically just two wires. I don't know what sort of connector you have on your stock horn so I can't say if you can splice it's connector to keep your factory wiring harness stock. Some horns don't even have a connector, just a couple of lugs on the body of the horn that you slide some female spade connectors onto.

My personal favorite would be a small European air horn set up. Think high-pitched Ferrari sound. I've had one laying around for years and never put it on anything. Maybe I'll stick it on the Rover some time just for kicks. Come to think of it, I've never actually used the Rover's horn...I have no idea what it sounds like or if it even works for that matter. Like I said, we don't use horns that much on the west coast. They harsh our mellow.

:ylsmoke:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Having grown up in NorCal, I have absolutely no qualms giving doofus drivers a good honking. I start with a quick light beep but if that doesn't get their attention, they get to hear a loud long blast.:exclaim:

i also recommend you consider a set of European horns. Great loud sound and cheap at your local parts yard.

As as for the different connectors, I simply made a set of adapters rather than change the OEM connectors.

jhill15

Explorer
Lol some good posts, they harsh our mellow on the east coast aswell. Sadly we are forced to use them to express our aggravation towards the non drivers who cut you off while merging on the interstate lol. On a happy note we use them like children when passing a buddy to say "hey look at me...im driving" lol.

I like European sound aswell, and never thought of using an old bmw or audi horn. Will those be plug and play?

Thanks everyone

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I drive in Sacramento where drivers are ruthless. My rig is fat and heavy so if someone cuts me off, they get the treatment.

zelatore

Explorer
Having grown up in NorCal, I have absolutely no qualms giving doofus drivers a good honking. I start with a quick light beep but if that doesn't get their attention, they get to hear a loud long blast.:exclaim:

i also recommend you consider a set of European horns. Great loud sound and cheap at your local parts yard.

As as for the different connectors, I simply made a set of adapters rather than change the OEM connectors.

'a good honking'... ha - made me think of this:
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7GG7/dial-for-men-honkingly-gorgeous

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If you're into using horns purely as a safety device (i.e to warn others of impending doom), then I highly recommend taking a look at the Hella Supertones.

I've seen prices range from under $40 to about $60 for a set, but these are BY FAR the loudest (electric) horns I've ever heard. I found these via Rally Racing - they're intended to be used by the navigator to blast when approaching blind corners so that spectators know to keep the road clear. Subaru's are known for anemic horns, so it's become standard practice in the Subaru community to replace the OEM meep-meeps with a pair of these. It's almost like Subaru wants us to do it because they leave a couple of symmetrical holes of just the right size for us to mount them in the radiator mount:

6w21dhFl.jpg

I'll be putting another set into my van as soon as I have the bumper and grille off again, although the OEM GM horns aren't as weak.

The only bad news about the Supertones is that in order to get the full strength, you really should use a relay with bigger wiring from the battery. This is pretty trivial for many people, but since you seemed nervous about wanting something plug-n-play, I thought I'd mention it. It's not a big deal, just use the wire that drives the factory horn to power the coil of a standard relay (and ground the other end of coil to chassis), and you're set.

jhill15

Explorer
Man those supertones look pretty sweet, i'll check on ebay and see if I can nab up a set cheaper than on amazon. As far as installation I will try and make an adapter to plug into the harness, and if all else fails I will just splice into it.

Thanks for everything guys

stingray1300

Explorer
I have always run extra horns. I even had a set of FIAMMs and a Stebel air horn set on my Honda ST1300! (no, I don't mess around). I referred to them as my "INcontinental horns". Why? Because if some brain-dead cager was being silly, I would whack the horn button and they would either spill their coffee/toss their phone or... lose their continence :wings:
Here's a photo of part of my set up on my F150:
DSC_0081.JPG

I also have a Carson 100watt Electric Air horn. Sounds just like a cop or ambulance. Either way, someone is going to know they messed up!

Just make sure you use the OEM power wire to do nothing but switch a Bosch relay! The run a 14ga+ wire from the battery. The horns will have pure power, and your OEM wiring won't even feel it. FIAMM Freeway Blasters can be had for $15 each (get 1-high note and 1- low note) at almost any parts store. You'll sound like a Cadillac - much better that that "authoritative European" sound. ("authoritative"? Nice adjective.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz