2000, 100 series build

Benc

Explorer
The top pic is a cut done on 3/16 with the hypertherm and the bottom is the miller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Love my Hypertherm, can't say enough about what a solid machine it is and I'm a giant fan of the drag tips.

Keep up the good work, always fun to check up on this thread and see your new projects :cool:

rambo3489

Curious but what was the reasoning for getting rid of the Taco for the LC? I have been getting more and more into the idea of Overland/Expedition and am looking at the pros/cons of trucks vs SUV's. I'm almost leaning towards a gen I Tundra DC because of the 4.7 and the bed. But it looks like a LC with a roof rack is more than enough for a family of 4 to camp comfortably.

Also I wanted to know when the SAS is coming down the pike?

P.S. Great looking build. It's a lot of hard work I know that first hand. Your craftsmanship is outstanding.

Benc

Explorer
Curious but what was the reasoning for getting rid of the Taco for the LC? I have been getting more and more into the idea of Overland/Expedition and am looking at the pros/cons of trucks vs SUV's. I'm almost leaning towards a gen I Tundra DC because of the 4.7 and the bed. But it looks like a LC with a roof rack is more than enough for a family of 4 to camp comfortably.

Also I wanted to know when the SAS is coming down the pike?

P.S. Great looking build. It's a lot of hard work I know that first hand. Your craftsmanship is outstanding.

The tacoma was just too small for a family of five and under powered for towing. I also looked into the tundra but the double cabs 145" wheel base would be a huge handicap off road. The land cruiser is the perfect size for my needs. Plenty of room for the family and still very capable off road. Plus the land cruiser is built way stronger than the tundras or sequoias. No SAS in the plans for this truck as of now.

Benc

Explorer
Haven't done much to the 100 lately, but I did finally get the swing outs paintedImageUploadedByTapatalk1414984099.071413.jpg

Also went on a little day trip today. Did a little wheeling but mostly went to let the kids play in the first snow. Didn't find as much snow as I wanted but still had fun.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414984154.624125.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414984179.008853.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414984197.799155.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414984215.073510.jpg

Benc

Explorer
Ordered more parts today, 4.88 front and rear with full install kits and arb up front. Had to hold off on the rear locker for now and figured it would be easier to install the rear in the future. Got all the parts from geared up drivetrain in grass valley. He is the best around here and has the best prices. Installed out the door was $2400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

Last edited:

Benc

Explorer
Pulled the diffs tonight. Bringing them to the shop tomorrow to have the gears and air lockers installed. Thats right, lockers! I somehow managed to talk the wife into both lockers. Should be geared and locked by this weekend

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Looking at that receipt you might want to look and see if the rear ring gear is the right one.

The pricing is low for the rear gear. The hundred is a different rear ring and pinion.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Looking at that receipt you might want to look and see if the rear ring gear is the right one.

The pricing is low for the rear gear. The hundred is a different rear ring and pinion.

X2

Unless you're planning to get tricky with the rear carrier i.e. running the 80 Series carrier with the 100 Series 32 spline side gears. With the 100 specific (Nitro) rear gears, you'll also be in need of a 29 spline pinion flange and matching seal.

Benc

Explorer

Thanks, good call!
Just called the shop and he said there supplier caught before they shipped. If they were the wrong ones would there be any way they could still be installed?

hoser

Explorer
Yes, before there was a dedicated rear 4.88 rear R&P for the 100 series, some of us had to use the 80 series R&P with a hybrid ARB locker. (as Kurt said above).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94