Montero Gen 1, 2, 3 questions.

vanatee2000

Observer
My gen 2.5 is a 1999 and it has the jump seats, so it seats 7, and has the rear locker. I think gen 2.5 fit 33s without any lifting. Also, the sohc motor isn't terrible to work on but they are still laborious. Fine engineering though.

cnutco

Adventurer
TC. It also happens in 2wd. I made the mistake of entering a highway with mud on my tires with plenty of room from the on coming cars but when I accelerated the rear tires spun and caused the TC to engage which decelerated the engine. I had to pull off the road to avoid getting hit. That was the first and last time that has and will happen to me.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
I can see it happening in 2wd but all winter I could easily accelerate from a stop with 4wd on. 1 or 2 wheels would break loose but it would take all 4 to derate the engine. This must be a tire issue.

plh

Explorer
I can see it happening in 2wd but all winter I could easily accelerate from a stop with 4wd on. 1 or 2 wheels would break loose but it would take all 4 to derate the engine. This must be a tire issue.

Maybe, but doubtful on the tire comment. Even same when I was running the Fallen Wild Peaks (new) on the Gen 3. They are pretty grippy.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
My '97 SR does not have traction control. However... it is an absolute wild beastly animal in the snow. We had a snow storm this year in Raleigh that the news called "Snowmageddon" (keeping in mind this is North Carolina...) - we had something like 6-8" of snow in a day, which around here was crippling - hundreds and hundreds of cars were stranded and abandoned on the roads and highways, the State Governor was going out on the news asking people to get their cars off the roads so that emergency vehicles could get through, etc... it was like a Zombie apocalypse in the snow.

I spent about 9 hours that day driving around town in my Montero, in 4-High (unlocked center diff), with BFG All Terrain's, with bag of recovery tools and a friend in the truck, pulling people out of the snow, ditches, etc, towing them up hills so they could get home, and so on. They kept asking "How come you're able to drive around in this like it's nothing, and everyone else is stuck hard?"

Unstoppable in the snow. Very controllable. Totally awesome.

But of course, anyone who lives in a place where there is REAL snow already knows that. These are great trucks.

Djbenny

Adventurer
My '97 SR does not have traction control. However... it is an absolute wild beastly animal in the snow. We had a snow storm this year in Raleigh that the news called "Snowmageddon" (keeping in mind this is North Carolina...) - we had something like 6-8" of snow in a day, which around here was crippling - hundreds and hundreds of cars were stranded and abandoned on the roads and highways, the State Governor was going out on the news asking people to get their cars off the roads so that emergency vehicles could get through, etc... it was like a Zombie apocalypse in the snow.

I spent about 9 hours that day driving around town in my Montero, in 4-High (unlocked center diff), with BFG All Terrain's, with bag of recovery tools and a friend in the truck, pulling people out of the snow, ditches, etc, towing them up hills so they could get home, and so on. They kept asking "How come you're able to drive around in this like it's nothing, and everyone else is stuck hard?"

Unstoppable in the snow. Very controllable. Totally awesome.

But of course, anyone who lives in a place where there is REAL snow already knows that. These are great trucks.
Awesome! My 95 Sr is a beast in the snow too. I have 33s bfg a/ts. And this thing drives as if there is no snow.

ljense8

Adventurer
I'm beginning to find out my 98, with winter package, is a beast in the snow. We have about 8" right now where I live, and I drove through about 4" this morning on my way to work. It acted like I was on nearly clean pavement. Obviously there was limited traction for turns and stopping, but I couldn't even feel the snow really.

ultrakill

Adventurer
If you want 3rd row seats in Gen 1 I believe you would have to source them from Asia, I have only seen retrofit 3rd row seats in USA.

The Gen 1 RS I don't think comes standard with a rear LSD, the way to tell is by a sticker on driver door and on diff itself. I also think all Gen 1 with bouncy drivers seat have rear LSD. You can lock the front with an aussie locker, or ARB air locker. If you want a locker for rear, I think 92-94 SR rear axle can be straight swapped or you can get ARB there too.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Some pics of Gen I 3rd row seats:
1981cab_zpsf93b2d84.jpg

1984caba_zps9ea5f7ca.jpg

mdpj1_12_zpsa0fc0f3e.jpg

1st_1984_04_zps3ecc533a.jpg

ry32_m_zps265ba2af.jpg

PD_1987_005_zps62960cbc.jpg

Cheers.

Wow, what a blast from the past. I forgot about the SWB 3rd row seats.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles