Montero Gen 1, 2, 3 questions.

wasilvers

So I've been reading all weekend and am getting confused. The 40+ threads I found are running together and I didn't bookmark them. Perhaps you guys can help.
1- Do the Gen 1 & 2 RS models have the 3rd row seating? Was it an option or just the default. (I asked a local seller about 3rd row seating in an 98 and they said it didnt' have it?)
2 - The RS models can have a locking rear diff - the 2.5 models CAN have the locking diff (if I read properly) - can the front be locked too (if desired)?
3 - Gen 3 - seem to have limited slip rears only? Did any offer locking rears? Does the limited slip work good with the anti-lock brakes helping with traction control? (2 reasons - I drive up a hill to get out of my driveway and it can be icy - and I want to launch my boat at some unimproved launches, and want to make every effort to get out later).
4 - It seems the SOHC engine may be the way to go - I'm all about simple - are these engines ok to work on or an absolute pain?
5- I read you can fit larger tires on easily - anyone have the max you can go on each generation without adding lift?

My background - I owned a 96 land cruiser and made the mistake of selling it. While looking for another I ran across some Montero info. I didn't realize some seat 7 and had locking rears. The Monty's are reasonably priced compared to the Cruisers - about 1/3 around here - and I've always thought they looked pretty sweet. Plus the seats can fold to a bed - great for cheap fishing trips!

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Selling the FJ80 will be a blessing. Monteros are superior for about 90% of what people use them for.

Jump seats were not available in the Gen 1, though I've seen aftermarket units in some from the Phillipines.

Not all Gen 2 had jump seats.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
So I've been reading all weekend and am getting confused. The 40+ threads I found are running together and I didn't bookmark them. Perhaps you guys can help.
1- Do the Gen 1 & 2 RS models have the 3rd row seating? Was it an option or just the default. (I asked a local seller about 3rd row seating in an 98 and they said it didnt' have it?)
2 - The RS models can have a locking rear diff - the 2.5 models CAN have the locking diff (if I read properly) - can the front be locked too (if desired)?
3 - Gen 3 - seem to have limited slip rears only? Did any offer locking rears? Does the limited slip work good with the anti-lock brakes helping with traction control? (2 reasons - I drive up a hill to get out of my driveway and it can be icy - and I want to launch my boat at some unimproved launches, and want to make every effort to get out later).
4 - It seems the SOHC engine may be the way to go - I'm all about simple - are these engines ok to work on or an absolute pain?
5- I read you can fit larger tires on easily - anyone have the max you can go on each generation without adding lift?

My background - I owned a 96 land cruiser and made the mistake of selling it. While looking for another I ran across some Montero info. I didn't realize some seat 7 and had locking rears. The Monty's are reasonably priced compared to the Cruisers - about 1/3 around here - and I've always thought they looked pretty sweet. Plus the seats can fold to a bed - great for cheap fishing trips!

1. Gen 1 can be retrofitted with the 3rd row, Gen 2 SR is standard after 95, PO on my '93 put in the 3rd row brackets, but the seats were not there when I bought it. I have since added in 1 seat back there.

2. some SR model Gen 2s have rear lockers. My '93 does not, but was an option. I believe they were standard in the '95 & '96 SR - but not 100% sure. Same as Gen 2.5 - options depending on equipment package.

3. Gen 3 - the early XLS up to '03 had limited slip, '04 and after has traction control. I'm not sold on the traction control in my '05 in snow, and leave it off most of the time.

4. Yes.

5. Lots of opinions stock. Gen 1 - 33", although I raised mine 2" for a little better clearance, wheel offsets make a difference. Gen 2 SR - 33" I run them with no lift and no issues. My Gen 2 RS has 32.5" no lift no issues. Gen 3 - I ran 265/70R17 (32.5") no lift no issues, could probably get 33" without problems.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
1- Do the Gen 1 ... have the 3rd row seating?

Some pics of Gen I 3rd row seats:
1981cab_zpsf93b2d84.jpg

1984caba_zps9ea5f7ca.jpg

mdpj1_12_zpsa0fc0f3e.jpg

1st_1984_04_zps3ecc533a.jpg

ry32_m_zps265ba2af.jpg

PD_1987_005_zps62960cbc.jpg

Cheers.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
1. Gen 1 can be retrofitted with the 3rd row, Gen 2 SR is standard after 95, PO on my '93 put in the 3rd row brackets, but the seats were not there when I bought it. I have since added in 1 seat back there.

2. some SR model Gen 2s have rear lockers. My '93 does not, but was an option. I believe they were standard in the '95 & '96 SR - but not 100% sure. Same as Gen 2.5 - options depending on equipment package.

3. Gen 3 - the early XLS up to '03 had limited slip, '04 and after has traction control. I'm not sold on the traction control in my '05 in snow, and leave it off most of the time.

4. Yes.

5. Lots of opinions stock. Gen 1 - 33", although I raised mine 2" for a little better clearance, wheel offsets make a difference. Gen 2 SR - 33" I run them with no lift and no issues. My Gen 2 RS has 32.5" no lift no issues. Gen 3 - I ran 265/70R17 (32.5") no lift no issues, could probably get 33" without problems.

Gen 3 traction control was introduced in late 2003. In contrast to your opinion of this system, I can say that I've been happy with what it does in the snow. Maybe its the tires but the Monty hooks pretty good and I feel completely confident.

cnutco

Adventurer
I have to add a +1 for the traction control in the snow! This pic is only the result of about 4+ inches of Georgia snow, but this thing hooked up and kept on moving forward.

duhasu9y.jpg

As for the 4x4 system... I've had jeep owners puller over, get out and ask what the hell I was driving.

puvenapu.jpg

My 2003 Montero
2" OME Lift
33.5" BFG KM2 (255/85-16) on stock wheels
ARB Bull Bumper
10,000# Warn
Yakima Mega Warrior Rack

Love this truck. Kinda pisses me off that Mitsubishi will not continue the Montero in the states.

Last edited:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Ditto on the traction control, but in the sand, rivers and on ice. My '03 Limited had traction control and a limited slip rear diff and traction was never a reason it couldn't go forward.

BTW, cnutgo, you've got a great looking ride. Makes me miss mine. Tall and skinny is a great way to go.

jhill15

Explorer
Ditto on the traction control, but in the sand, rivers and on ice. My '03 Limited had traction control and a limited slip rear diff and traction was never a reason it couldn't go forward.

BTW, cnutgo, you've got a great looking ride. Makes me miss mine. Tall and skinny is a great way to go.
Gotta chime in, did you ever have problems in sand with your gen3? One of the reasons I bought my 03 was for a beach rig...havent made it out there yet this summer but I dont wanna get stuck when I do.

When I bought mine i was under the impression that the center diff lock was like a rovers and all 4 tires spun at the same rate when locked. But this isnt the case with the montys because of traction control and open diffs and axles. Still very effective but not the same as a rover with cdl.

On a side note I miss your gen3 as well!!! Awesome rig and im sure who ever has her is enjoying the hell out of it!!

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Gotta chime in, did you ever have problems in sand with your gen3?

Searching for more of a remote kayak put-in at Lake Powell we took a trail that goes into the north end of Warms Springs Bay, the last half mile of which is sand dunes right to the shore. We were fully loaded, kept it out of 4Low, maintained momentum and made it in and out, up and down large dunes without incident, and this was before the rubber and OME mods. Likewise, an early Spring outing found us traversing a couple of hundred yards of solid ice and she stayed straight and tracking the entire time. It's only shortcoming is its departure angle. The H3 has a center lock with which I find some drift and tail break in the sand. (Sorry Wasilvers, don't mean to hijack your thread.)

plh

Explorer
Gen 3 traction control was introduced in late 2003. In contrast to your opinion of this system, I can say that I've been happy with what it does in the snow. Maybe its the tires but the Monty hooks pretty good and I feel completely confident.

Its very possible that the '03 TC system and the '05 TC operate differently. What I experience while the TC is engaged and the tires begin slipping (even a little bit), such as taking off from a stop sign on a snow covered road, the TC seriously reduces engine power and the vehicle only creeps forward. Its a very bizarre operating mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier