New to forum and My new camper.. new to me Skamper 072S

jtstj

Hi all, I wanted to show you all my new find. Its a Skamper 072S 1989. I was lucky enough to find this camper in really good condition. The outside will need a little work but the inside is nice. Ive owned a Popup Camper for years, this is my first experience with a Truck Popup camper. Any tidbits of info on these is appreciated. There are some wiring issues I will need to work on.

John

Redranger90

Resident Stuped Hillbilly
That's a great cozy little setup!
I'm not so sure with model specific info, As with any old camper, I'd suggest careful inspection of the wiring. Also, waterproofing. I'd also go through and check for squishy walls/floors as it's common for water or bugs to get in there and make a mess. Also something I've found is that the plastic roof hatches after a while can become dry and brittle from being constantly in the sun for 25+ years so they could also use a tending to.
I assume from the pics the canvas on the pop out is all good?
With just a little work, I think you'll be a happy camper.... Pun intended

subterran

Adventurer
Looks nice! Welcome to the forum. When you're checking around and waterproofing, pay attention to the roof vent. Mine had to be re sealed even though it 'looked ok'. Happy trails! Love the 'dont bump yer head' pad!

libarata

Expedition Leader
Does it have an electric exhaust vent up top? I have seen folks turn them on when lowering the top. With the windows zipped up, it sucks the canvas in for tucking free closing. Great catch!

dizzyspots

Adventurer
Fantastic fan vents works best for that...most aftermarket fans just don't suck well enough...has to be able to reverse...that is blow out thru the vent

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Brings back memories. I bought a brand-new 1983 Skamper 070S and had it on an '83 Datsun 4x4 back in the day. We spent our honeymoon night in Death Valley in it. Great setup. As mentioned, watch for water leakage. Mine was stored outside and the guy I sold it to had to rebuild the roof assembly due to wood rot. Your's looks in really good shape and should last you for a long time if well cared for. Show us what modifications if any that you do. BTW, every slide-in popup camper I've ever had ended up with wiring issues. Especially the outside marker lights. I gave up keeping them running years ago!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles