Any recommendations on sleeping mat for a 6'2 220lb guy?

lizardking

6'3" 220 side sleeper and I love my ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series XL. Too big and heavy for backpacking but excellent for car camping. The no slip features work well. Decent price.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I am a big fan of the new therm-a-rest neoair series. I was a bit dubious about how they would hold up to wear and tear cause they seem "thin" but I haven't had any issues with them so I'm now a believer. They have r-values that are as good or better than any of the self inflating foam ones and pack down way tighter/lighter. The only downside is that you end up doing a fair bit of huffing and puffing to fill them up. For car camping I'd recommend getting the widest 25in version in a long 77 inches (assuming it fits in your tent/car) - even the biggest one is barely heavier than my old thermarest pro-lite with 3x the r-rating and waaaaay more comfortable. the smaller form fitting ones are much lighter but also make a kreeky/crunchy sound when you lay on them due to the yet lighter material they use. fine for backpacking but annoying when doing overnights on the river where a little more weight/comfort is fine.

http://www.rei.com/product/863095/therm-a-rest-neoair-all-season-sleeping-pad

I went one better and bought the Neo-air dream. We are just back from a week in the High Peaks area of the Adirondacks and I think I slept better on it and my new North Face Domolite (-7) sleeping bag than I do at home on an expensive Serta mattress. I'm about 190 and 6' tall. I also bought the slightly expensive small air pump. Saved a lot of blowing up manually.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I've been camping for more than 34 years, averaging 30+ days/year sleeping on the ground, and I have had my share of sleeping pads. In that time I have found no better pad then Exped.

Exped Mats

I'm 6'4" and 225lbs, and have been using the Exped Synmat9 LW for the past three years. I have used it everywhere - from the deck of a boat in the Bahamas, to -4F with my tent pitched on snow, for both single nights and multi-week encampments . I don't even use the cots when I take the Scouts to Summer Camp. Yes, they are at the higher-end of the price spectrum, but they pay you back in a good night's sleep - which we all know can be priceless.

The Synmat9 LW rolls down to the height of a Nalgene bottle, but 1.5x the Nalgene diameter - still small enough for my backpacking needs. It has a built-in pump, with self-expanding open cell foam, that makes inflation a breathless action.

Both my sons use Big Agnes Core insulated pads (mummy) for maximum space/weight savings. These have proven to be great pads too, but they both plan to upgrade to Exped when the opportunity presents itself...

Tray

I'd recommend the Exped Megamat 10 for sure.

I bought mine when I weighed over 400 and it kept me comfortable (only mat that I could say that of).

Now that I'm back down under 250, it is even more comfy.

I have close to 100 nights on mine and if/when it ever wears out I won't think twice about buying another to replace it.

BillTex

Adventurer
Love my Big Agnes Q-Core SL...the new ones (non insulated) are da' bomb too...

So comfy/light I use it backpacking and car/Scout camping...

Bill

monele

Adventurer
One more vote here for the exped synmat9. I'm on #3 (they had some issues with their construction early on). Packs small, stays warm, super comfy. If you have the room, the cabelas 3" mats are awesome as well.

RotorHead04

Observer
I second this. Im 6'2" 240 lbs, bought one and love it. My wife tried it and made me buy one for her as well. Get the 3.5 XL pad. Every few months they come up for sale on the reioutlet.com for under $90. REI always seems to be running some $20 off coupon so it really makes for a great deal. Well worth it.
For car camping, hard to best the REI 3.5 XL pad. The 2.5 is much more compact in storage mode, but for inexplicable reasons REI discontinued the 2.5 XL

GFA

Adventurer
Another vote for the exped megamat. Close second is the rei 3.5 but it didn't last very long, only 3yrs of occasional use before the interior lining broke down and would no longer hold air.

As a bonus, the exped megamat is on sale currently on steep and cheap for only $109 in the fall camping sale section!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online