Bikeman71's 2004 G-Wagen Build

Bikeman71

Observer
I think we need to see some pictars of your previous Rubi's...
Here is the Rubicon on the Rubicon:

And, one of my favorite places in the world that includes one of my favorite all-time adventures...For the past several years, my dad has been coming out to California for an annual Spring Break Death Valley Trip. For our most recent trip, because my dad had been reading a bunch of books about big-time criminals (Helter Skelter included) he wanted to put the Barker Ranch on the agenda. During our drive into the park, a radio DJ was talking about the Lunar Eclipse that was to happen that evening. Dad and I looked at each other and came up with the same conclusion...our plans were about to change. We weren't planning on getting to the Barker Ranch for another two days, but we made a quick adjustment and made it our first destination. We arrived just in time for a beautiful sunset. After setting up camp and eating dinner, we watched the full moon rise over a nearby ridgeline and settled in for the Lunar Eclipse that was to come into full bloom at midnight. So, before getting into a long drawn out story, my dad and I watched the full moon turn blood red at midnight while sleeping on Charles Manson's living room floor. This is one of those adventures that I will never forget.

In three years of Death Valley trips, we haven't used a tent once. This night was especially important to have an unobstructed view.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great looking Rubi Brent. My G is getting rock envy.
That's a fantastic story, love it!!
So-Cal G, we need a pic of your Rubi too.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
You should have seen Barker (or Manson's cabin as we've always called it) before it burned:

IMG_4524-XL.jpg

Same view (basically what you saw) from a trip in January of this year:

_DSC0652-XL.jpg

And it would seem we have similar vehicle taste and locations to use them. This is going in the opposite direction out to Granite Slab in the same spot as your pic:

_DSC0061-XL.jpg

Cool build you have going, but we're having fun with our 460 series...

Bikeman71

Observer
That is crazy! It does seem we have similar tastes in all things overland exploring. We should get together for an adventure....I would love to get over to Bishop for something this fall....maybe a trip up to Coyote Flat/Palisade Glacier? I've also got my eye on a couple things just outside of Markleeville.

I am dying to get the G-Wagen out in the dirt!

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I do a dual sport ride every year (missed this year as I was on a trip to CO on the big bike) that is based out of just north of Bishop. LOTS to see and do there. Last year we went up Coyote Flats and got to this place:

_DSC0859-XL.jpg

This is a spot that I think you can only get to on 2 wheels or a quad behind the campground we stay at:

DSC_0827-XL.jpg

The funniest part is that you are high enough to get cell phone reception again, so I called down to camp from there one year to find out when the pizza they ordered would be delivered. :D

Bikeman71

Observer
It is time for some updates on the G-Wagen. I'll start with some exterior pictures. This shows a stock suspension with 30mm spring spacers and 275 70 18 Goodyear MT/R.

Last edited:

Bikeman71

Observer
I've spent a lot of time on the rear cargo storage. Most of the time comes in the form of research. What you see here is a Front Runner Cargo Slider with the locking National Luna fridge plate and 50L Weekender Split Fridge/Freezer. I spent hours looking for the right container to fit perfectly next to the fridge without wasting any space. I ended up getting really lucky when finding the Alu-Box storage containers on Equipt in the PERFECT size. There is 1/8' inch to spare from side to side and 1/4" inch to spare from front to rear. These boxes are spendy but are also top-notch quality. I added the Front Runner Interior Netting system and added another netting system that stretches from the D-Rings on the Floor to the Front Runner Rail. This keeps things like my tent that are stacked on the wheel wells from falling into the storage slider (fridge and alu-boxes.)

Last edited:

Bikeman71

Observer
And finally an updated picture of my wiring "room." I've reconnected all of my connection points with solder pellets and shrink wrap. It was probably fine before, but I like things to be just right. I've also added the wiring to hook up my National Luna Powerpack that fits perfectly in either of the rear passenger foot wells.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Dayum, looking good Brent!! Did you go with H&R 30mm spacers, and their 30mm longer lugs?
PS--I think you meant 275/70/18 vs 285/70/18.

Bikeman71

Observer
Dayum, looking good Brent!! Did you go with H&R 30mm spacers, and their 30mm longer lugs?
PS--I think you meant 275/70/18 vs 285/70/18.

Yes, 275 70 18. Thank you for the catch! I'm going to edit now.

The 30mm spacers are the spring spacers, not wheel spacers.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes, 275 70 18. Thank you for the catch! I'm going to edit now.

The 30mm spacers are the spring spacers, not wheel spacers.

Ohhh, gotcha.
So no wheel spacers at all? Wheels/tires look fairly flush with fender flares--looks great!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles