Loading motorcycle ideas?

Jfet

Adventurer
The flatbed of our 2006 Isuzu NRR is a bit high (41") on a level surface for our 6.5' ramp. I was able to load our WR250R bikes by backing up to our sloped driveway which made the bed height about 24". My wife wants to be able to load the bikes solo.

We will be building a garage pod later which will have a big ramp door (8' + 4') but I am looking for an interim solution that is not too expensive. I think the 12 foot folding black widow brand ramp would get it done, but that ramp is $600. My wife was thinking either a small boom crane mounted to the rear of the flatbed or a 4 bar hydraulic lifting mechanism. I like the boom crane except it would be pretty expensive (unless I build it) and would be yet another thing to need to remove if we want to remove the camper.

Any interesting low cost ideas? The bikes are both Yamaha WR250R dual sport models weighing about 290 pounds each.

toosexy.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The flatbed of our 2006 Isuzu NRR is a bit high (41") on a level surface for our 6.5' ramp. I was able to load our WR250R bikes by backing up to our sloped driveway which made the bed height about 24". My wife wants to be able to load the bikes solo.

We will be building a garage pod later which will have a big ramp door (8' + 4') but I am looking for an interim solution that is not too expensive. I think the 12 foot folding black widow brand ramp would get it done, but that ramp is $600. My wife was thinking either a small boom crane mounted to the rear of the flatbed or a 4 bar hydraulic lifting mechanism. I like the boom crane except it would be pretty expensive (unless I build it) and would be yet another thing to need to remove if we want to remove the camper.

Any interesting low cost ideas? The bikes are both Yamaha WR250R dual sport models weighing about 290 pounds each.

View attachment 237856

I bolted an ATV winch (2000 pound) to my truck and use it to load and unload bikes. Makes it super easy. $72.14 from amazon.

71c2-%2Bhxd6L._SL1500_.jpg

zelatore

Explorer
I use a similar ramp to the black widow (not quite as long, but aluminum arched and folding) to solo load my bikes into the back of a full size pickup. It's by far the easiest way I've found - just ride it right up into the bed, though with sportbikes I have to be careful of high-centering on the break over. The width of the ramp makes it pretty comfortable.

A davit or other lifting mechanism would certainly work, and may be safer, especially if your wife isn't very tall but if you buy it you'll spend as much or more than the cost of the ramp. And as you say, you'll have to remove it later and it won't be nearly as quick to deploy as the ramp.

However, if you have the ability to build a davit, couldn't you build your own version of the black widow ramp? Perhaps attach it with a removable hinge at the back so it simply folds up when not in use so you don't have to find a place to store it. When you don't want it, just pull the pin out of the hinge and leave it at home.

GR8ADV

Explorer

View attachment 237856

Wow my ktm 690 weighs 300 lbs. sorry but I guess hat does not help much. Very cool idea you have there tho.

Jfet

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions guys, it really has me thinking.

I do have an idea which is bordering on either crazy or brilliant. I still need to mull it over to see flaws but here are the basics:

I carry four quick connect Rieco Titan 2000 pound jacks with a 36 inch travel (pictured below). I made the connect system and it works great for the camper. Since I will always have these jacks with me, why not put them to use?

I could fashion a short ramp, perhaps 6 feet long, which has receiver tubes for the jacks. A single person could then load a motorcycle (even a big one) by rolling it on the level ramp (which is about 5 inches off the ground) then using the four jacks to crank it up 36 inches to the 41 inch height of the flatbed. It would be slow but would be a great safe way to load a motorcycle, even one that is disabled, and it would not cost me a dime (I could modify my existing ramp with scrap steel to make jack mounts and tie downs.) I like the idea of not depending on winch motors or having to buy/carry/build a huge ramp that will not be needed long term. Truck camper jacks are bog simple and very reliable.

If I get to a location that has a small hill or something where I can get the flatbed closer to the ground, I could use the 6 foot ramp as a ramp and load/unload quickly.

Playing on this idea, I could hinge the ramp to the flatbed and just use two jacks, but this would require pushing the bike up the ramp enough to get the rear tire totally on the ramp, then managing to tie the bike down while holding it on a 40 degree slope. A stable 4 jack platform seems maybe the better idea if slower.

What do you think? Too complicated and slow?

driverside.jpg

jackmount2.jpg

Jfet

Adventurer
heh, I know the wrong way and the expensive right way of doing it

This is my $5 way (using the four jacks we have and $5 worth of welding wire/scrap steel)

liftidea1.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
When I bought my Fuso it had a liftgate on it.
As the saying goes "once you have had a liftgate you never go back".
Perhaps you could find a reasonable one off a wrecked truck in your area.
Mine is pretty much a bolt on with just an electrical connection for the self-contained hydraulic pump.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
When I bought my Fuso it had a liftgate on it.
As the saying goes "once you have had a liftgate you never go back".
Perhaps you could find a reasonable one off a wrecked truck in your area.
Mine is pretty much a bolt on with just an electrical connection for the self-contained hydraulic pump.
You wanted more weight behind the rear wheels... that would do it. :)

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
I'd go for a pickup truck bed hoist. You can find them either electric winch driven or manually powered with a 1,000 pound capacity. They are relatively inexpensive and don't weigh a ton.

0jJXT1BgPJ.jpg

Jfet

Adventurer
I bought a $4 hand winch from Horrible Freight and am going to see how that does with the shorter ramp. It will be a 2 person job.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-strap-winch-95541.html

The ratchet in the handle was jammed so they marked it down from $27 to $4 when I showed it to them. I took it home and fixed the handle.

It isn't a bad little winch. I like the 2 inch nylon strap vs a steel cable and 900 pounds is plenty for a 300 pound motorcycle. Going to give it a try when the wife gets home.

It isn't a great solution but it is a quick solution and doesn't require a battery or wiring. If a winch will work, that is.

blackduck

Explorer
my concept was simple and cheap
a couple of lengths of channel a couple oh hinges, some 1 1/4 RHS and a cheap evil bay winch
it worked fine for my strom 1K and should be able to handle 2 bikes at once if you made it twice as big
so long as you drop both bikes at once
but if you follow my ideal of "id rather be riding than driving" its not a problem :victory:

bike 3.jpgbike 4.jpgbike 1.jpgbike on sml.jpg

Sagestone

Observer
Awesome example. Your boat loading/unloading setup is also inspiring. Do you recall the link to that great set of pics you provided to the forum? BQQ Dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz