Oh Idaho...

mph

Expedition Leader
Oh Idaho...This state is my favorite place to travel in the summer. My family started going up there 7 years ago on a friend's recommendation. The drive up to Idaho from Utah is not so exciting but once you see the rivers of Big Wood, Lost, and Snake; the scenery changes and the beauty of the place become evident. Idaho has so much to explore. Ghost towns, mountains, single track, fly fishing streams, etc. The mountains offer a vast wilderness playground to explore.

A loose plan...An eight day journey with friends that involved hiking, biking, fly fishing, rafting, and ghost town exploration on the menu. It was a grand time!

On our way north from Utah, we stopped at Chesterfield, Idaho. A former settlement, turned ghost town, turned historical site that the state of Idaho helps protect. It's unique in that it has homes from the log cabins to brick. The people were forced out by the cold. -50 in the winter. No thank you!

asset.php 5.jpeg

There is a general store which offered Lilly a few treats!

asset.php 2.jpeg

I tried to stop for gas. No luck!

asset.php 4.jpeg

The tours available are for free and the length is up to you. We choose to explore the area for an hour or so.

asset.php 6.jpeg

asset.php 7.jpeg

Lilly enjoyed this kids room.

asset.php 9.jpeg

The history of the place in pictures and stories.

asset.php 3.jpeg

The old church has been reinvented at cost of $500,000.

asset.php 8.jpeg

Our time was coming to an end...We had to start heading north to Central Idaho. Ginger seemed comfortable during our ride!

photo 2.jpg

Our friends Barb and Jen had no idea the tallest mountain in Idaho, Mt. Borah, was right behind them as we tried to find a camping spot for the night.

photo 1.JPG

More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
The next day involved getting some coffee and exploring the Upper Big Lost River area. Gorgeous mountains and scenery was all around us. It was time to wet the fly and see what we might catch.

asset.php 10.jpeg

asset.php 7.jpeg

We packed up and rallied up into the Idaho Woods. What would we find?

asset.php 2.jpeg

A hike led us to a gorgeous waterfall on one of the many Idaho rivers.

asset.php 5.jpeg

Lilly enjoying her surroundings!

asset.php 6.jpeg

Afterwards, we were on the lookout for some good water to fish. Louise throwing the fly in this beautiful spot!

asset.php 4.jpeg

Our friend Jen, was not fishing but she definitely was enjoying the beauty of her environment.

asset.php 3.jpeg

Time was not on our side, so we packed up and headed down the mountains to Sun Valley.

More to come...

I live in Hayden, in the Pan Handle. I just moved here and bought a transmission and muffler shop in April from Texas. We love it here so far. I just joined this forum today because I want to start outfitting my truck for more back country adventures with the family.

mph

Expedition Leader
Congrats...u will love Idaho!

I live in Hayden, in the Pan Handle. I just moved here and bought a transmission and muffler shop in April from Texas. We love it here so far. I just joined this forum today because I want to start outfitting my truck for more back country adventures with the family.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader

Sweet. I moved up here almost three years ago, currently working in ND two weeks at a time. You will like ID, it's nice having 4 seasons. Which shop do you have in Hayden? I worked at Tom Addis for almost two years.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Idaho has a lot to offer. If you have time make sure to check out the west central mountains, McCall, the Sawtooths etc. If you don't mind a bit of a drive Sandpoint is more then worth it. The wife and I miss that area but find McCall is just as nice.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Idaho is a great place to visit & explore! Been going there since the 1970's and still thoroughly enjoy.

Do any good with your fishing, or just have fun trying?

Regards, Guy

Cayuse

Observer

Welcome to the neighborhood. I live in Spokane but spend a lot of time in the Panhandle mostly around Sandpoint.

Foy

Explorer
Just what I needed today!

Another "Lilly Trip". Looks like yet another Home Run courtesy of Dad and Mom.

Reminds me of even the simplest visit with my grandson, now only 17 months old, but already 100% smiles and giggles. Makes your day to see them having such a good time.

Keep 'em coming!

Foy

Sweet. I moved up here almost three years ago, currently working in ND two weeks at a time. You will like ID, it's nice having 4 seasons. Which shop do you have in Hayden? I worked at Tom Addis for almost two years.

Lake City Transmission & Muffler. Have a Tom Addis car in the shop as I type this!

mph

Expedition Leader
We made our way to Sun Valley. A great spot in the Big Wood River basin. SV was relatively quiet the few days we were there. Which was nice...Our friends James and Julie decided to make the trip north from Park City to camp with us a few days. Lilly is friends with their two boys, Lincoln and Luke. Lilly was stoked!

Lincoln and Lilly enjoying the water.

asset.php 9.jpeg

Good food...Good company...

asset.php.jpeg

After a few day of biking, fishing, and enjoying SV, we headed north to the Stanley area. An awesome spot in Idaho! Rivers everywhere...Few people...dirt roads for main street...

We found a nice spot in the woods to call home for a few days...

asset.php 4.jpeg

asset.php 5.jpeg

Lilly and Ginger enjoying the water rushing by...

asset.php 7.jpeg

Our friend Barb had a little trouble putting up her awning.

asset.php 3.jpeg

We spent the day floating the Salomon River. A must do if you are in the area!

asset.php 2.jpeg

Ginger got a lot of attention on this trip. She is getting old, 17, and did two new things on this trip. She mountain biked and kayaked. She has led a good life. The adventures she has been on is unreal! Maybe a few more...

asset.php 6.jpeg

The start of a new day...What would it bring?

asset.php 8.jpeg

Before it can start; Barb and Jen needed to change a flat!

asset.php 10.jpeg

More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks...glad I made your day:) You will have a blast taking your grandson out...Enjoy!

Another "Lilly Trip". Looks like yet another Home Run courtesy of Dad and Mom.

Reminds me of even the simplest visit with my grandson, now only 17 months old, but already 100% smiles and giggles. Makes your day to see them having such a good time.

Keep 'em coming!

Foy

mph

Expedition Leader
fishing was outstanding...i think i have few pictures of the fish:) didn't always have my camera...they were attacking the dry flies.

Idaho is a great place to visit & explore! Been going there since the 1970's and still thoroughly enjoy.

Do any good with your fishing, or just have fun trying?

Regards, Guy

mph

Expedition Leader
MWE Racks makes the swing out...You then can put thule t2 trays on it or yakima holdup trays...I love it...It works for my cruiser with a swing out. Plus, off the top; I can get 15 MPG.

Mine was custom made...Marty will take care of you...mweracks.com

I really like that swing out bike rack?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94