My D2 TD5, Overland Build

Jwestpro

Explorer
Just signed up to the forum and thought I would share some details/pics of my D2.......

2" HD Lift, with air on the rear
275/65/18 Cooper STTs
30mm wheel spacers
EBC drilled and grooved discs
ARB Compressor
Ashcroft rear air locker
ARB RTT + Awning
Window Guards + Mantec shelf

There's more to come in the near future......

Thanks for looking Dan

Aside from intense jealously over your Td5 engine, I have a few general questions:

1- 30mm spacers: I have a 1.5' OME lift. Am using stock 16" alloy with 31.5" overall tire diameter (yours are right at 32") and similar width (265/75x18 BFG AT Ko). Mine rub the trailing arms a lot at almost full lock severely reducing turning radius. Did the 30mm spacers allow you full lock turns without adjusting the steering stops?

2-"air on the rear". Is this simply the factory rear air or is it one of the "additive" bag systems that go into the springs, a "helper" air bag?

3-arb compressor. where did you put yours? Mine on the d2 is under the passenger sill in the gap between sill and frame along with a factory sourced eas tank mounted on the factory points to act as an arb air on demand reserve. On my lr3 however we put the compressor under the bonnet for easy access and also protection from the elements.

4-rear air locker. Why Ashcroft over ARB when you are clearly familiar with ARB and can source either brand?

5-Flatdog? Looks just like my Hannibal rack. Is it?
6- arb awning, why that awning over all the other choices? I chose the Hannibal awnings for two reasons: self supporting with no legs to manage, 3 side wall sections to make into full or partial rooms. Although I didn't know about the few really cool 270 degree awnings at the time I bought mine. Those are sweet too!

7-window guards, presumably these are to protect the windows from the cargo tossing about?

8-that shelf and the rear window guard are really cool. I'm going to look into the shelf!

Lovely paint color. It's my next favorite after my light sage green that I cannot ever remember the name of ;) but I have the "Aspen" interior which is my favorite in all modern Land Rovers and Range rovers since 2003.

Coleman21d

Aside from intense jealously over your Td5 engine, I have a few general questions:

1- 30mm spacers: I have a 1.5' OME lift. Am using stock 16" alloy with 31.5" overall tire diameter (yours are right at 32") and similar width (265/75x18 BFG AT Ko). Mine rub the trailing arms a lot at almost full lock severely reducing turning radius. Did the 30mm spacers allow you full lock turns without adjusting the steering stops?

2-"air on the rear". Is this simply the factory rear air or is it one of the "additive" bag systems that go into the springs, a "helper" air bag?

3-arb compressor. where did you put yours? Mine on the d2 is under the passenger sill in the gap between sill and frame along with a factory sourced eas tank mounted on the factory points to act as an arb air on demand reserve. On my lr3 however we put the compressor under the bonnet for easy access and also protection from the elements.

4-rear air locker. Why Ashcroft over ARB when you are clearly familiar with ARB and can source either brand?

5-Flatdog? Looks just like my Hannibal rack. Is it?
6- arb awning, why that awning over all the other choices? I chose the Hannibal awnings for two reasons: self supporting with no legs to manage, 3 side wall sections to make into full or partial rooms. Although I didn't know about the few really cool 270 degree awnings at the time I bought mine. Those are sweet too!

7-window guards, presumably these are to protect the windows from the cargo tossing about?

8-that shelf and the rear window guard are really cool. I'm going to look into the shelf!

Lovely paint color. It's my next favorite after my light sage green that I cannot ever remember the name of ;) but I have the "Aspen" interior which is my favorite in all modern Land Rovers and Range rovers since 2003.

1. I haven't tried running it without spacers but all I can say is I have never heard or seen any rubbing. Mine came from factory on 18" wheels.

2. The air is the factory system with 40mm spacers under the bags, it's common here for people to replace with coils hence why I mentioned it.

3. My arb compressor is mounted on the bulkhead In the engine bay just behind the abs unit. Keeps it clean and easy to access.

4. I went with the ashcroft for a couple of reasons. First it was price about £300 cheaper, second I don't like the routing of the copper pipe over the crown wheel on the arb and thirdly the ashcroft has 6mm locking movement instead of 2.5mm.

5. Flatdog is a UK based company who make and stock land rover / expedition equipment. They have a good world wide market. They are good friends of mine and are just up the road in the next town.

6. Because flatdog are a large arb seller in the uk and my car is going to be used to show off some products at this years show. And it matches the RTT. :)

7. Correct separates the mid row seats and boot, also protects the windows and acts as tie down points for light items

8. The shelves aren't cheap but are a great addition and are very useful.

Coleman21d

Yeah, that blue certainly looks good on a DII.

Nice unit. Any plans to take it on adventures further from home?

Yes hopefully heading down through the Uk, catching the ferry to Spain and then heading across to Catalonia area of Spain around Flix . Most likely be first 2weeks in April next year. :)

Coleman21d

In the process of wiring 4x warn lights on the rack. Will take some pics later. Should get them done after work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coleman21d

Most of the boot storage is off the shelf, I made the frame, from aluminium, that the fridge slide sits on, I intend on replacing the large tool box with a two drawer set up. But need some ideas and inspiration.

Coleman21d

Looks like my first trip overseas with my D2 will be Spain, next year. Think we will be catching the ferry on the 01/04/15 and returning on the 09/04/15. Current line up looks like my D2, my mate's D2 and my Sisters mate's Series 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles