Adding a popup section to an existing box?

rabble

Observer
Hey folks,

I've got a custom box on a U1300L unimog. It's got an over cab area but it's not very high. Maybe 2 feet (40cm) is about how much space there is. I've got small kids and they're about the limit of what can fit in there in terms of sleeping.

I was thinking that a pop up roof there could be the solution. Anybody know how hard it is to add something like this to an existing camper? it's custom made wood structure.

The truck is in Brazil and then i'm going to Argentina before driving north. Anybody know how hard its to adapt a VW kombi or westfalia roof?

-evan

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've never done it, so I can't tell you. Might get a hold of T-Low with his Astro, I believe he put a top on his van. I'd think there are kits available. The seal doesn't seem to be an issue, but how you will design and fab your own lifting system, can be simple or elaborate, you can get some good ideas on the various build threads. Sounds like a great idea and you could do it with hard sides as well. May be others will have some details. :)

S2DM

Adventurer
Post a few pics of your set up, might help to guide. I would probably do it out of composite. We considered doing it to our unimog ambulance box before we started building a new one from scratch.

Hey folks,

I've got a custom box on a U1300L unimog. It's got an over cab area but it's not very high. Maybe 2 feet (40cm) is about how much space there is. I've got small kids and they're about the limit of what can fit in there in terms of sleeping.

I was thinking that a pop up roof there could be the solution. Anybody know how hard it is to add something like this to an existing camper? it's custom made wood structure.

The truck is in Brazil and then i'm going to Argentina before driving north. Anybody know how hard its to adapt a VW kombi or westfalia roof?

-evan

Abitibi

Explorer
I'm doing something similar to my AmbuLand box. Initially I purchased a Airtop rtt, planning to mount it permanently to the roof and cut an opening between the two. I'm now thinking to simply build my own out of plywood and fibreglass. That way I can better customize the size and surely save a bit on the cost. I've already made a similar top for another project and it was quite simple, cheap and light.

Good luck!
Mr. D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz